View Full Version : Transportation to Downstate

Sindarla
04-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know of any buses that go to Downstate, where they leave from & hw much they charge for an adult & a child (8 years old)? I'm from Long Island so I expect they'd leave from the city. Do they just go on weekdays too or just weekends? And hubby says you can take the train (Amtrack or Metro North) Downstate in Fishkill & then take a cab to the facility. Does anyone know if this is true & if so how much it would be, what time it leaves & where it leaves from (Penn Station or Grand Central - if Grand Central, how do you get from Penn station to Grand Central, can I take a regular train there)?

Thanks for any info you can provide me.

Take Care,

Sindarla

ayalatina
07-13-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't know if you've gotten your answer yet but yes, you can take the metro north at grand centrel station to beacon and catch a $5 cab to downstate... the 5, 6, 7 and shuttle train stops there. I just did it this past weekend to fishkill (which is right across the street from downstate) and it was really really easy.

Sindarla
07-13-2010, 11:09 PM
My husband's been in Downstate for 26 days now waiting to get to a medium with ASAT. I ended up seeing him last month, I got a ride & paid for her gas. There's a van service that leaves from 3 Suffolk county train stations & 3 Nassau county ones every other weekend that goes to that hub. (I posted info about it in the transportation thread with a phone # but that may not be the updated #.) The girl that drove was thinking about taking Metro North but from Long Island it's a hassle, we'd have to take a train 1 hour to Penn station 1st then get to Grand Central & subways make me anxious so I probably would have taken a cab. It would've been A Lot of taxis a trains for me. I'm glad that I got to see him & I Probably could've gone again this past weekend since she just went up again but I don't have the money, I Wish I did since he's still close but I Probably can't see him again until the beginning of September. But Thanks for the info. I hope you had a good visit!

Central Van
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Hello My name is Pascual and I am the driver for Central Van Service. I travel to Downstate. Please give me a call at (917) 346-6805 and I will let you know further information.

Does anyone know of any buses that go to Downstate, where they leave from & hw much they charge for an adult & a child (8 years old)? I'm from Long Island so I expect they'd leave from the city. Do they just go on weekdays too or just weekends? And hubby says you can take the train (Amtrack or Metro North) Downstate in Fishkill & then take a cab to the facility. Does anyone know if this is true & if so how much it would be, what time it leaves & where it leaves from (Penn Station or Grand Central - if Grand Central, how do you get from Penn station to Grand Central, can I take a regular train there)?

Thanks for any info you can provide me.

Take Care,

Sindarla

patchouli
11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
PTO Disclaimer & Advisory Regarding Transportation/Van Services to Prisons:

PTO and its Administrators do not endorse, recommend, research & review, nor guarantee any transportation services that appear on this site.

Members should be aware that they use these transportation services at their own risk. Members are responsible for ensuring that the operator is insured and the vehicle is roadworthy and legal.

Be aware that private transportation services are generally operated without business or transportation license, which may or may not be required by their local municipality or state.

PTO and its Administrators will not be held liable for any claims or damages that may arise due to accident, injury, missed schedules or monetary dispute.

Mrs.Havok
01-24-2011, 08:33 AM
I had a great visit on Friday at Downstate that was until the cab service WESTSIDE tried to ruin it. This was my first time taking public transportation and having read how easy it is I decided to try it...and its not bad at all JUST don't use WESTSIDE as your cab service to get from the metro north station to downstate...the dispatcher LISA is EXTEMELY RUDE and NASTY and they left me stranded for like an hour until I found another cab willing to take me, and giving westside the benefit of the doubt called them to return me to the train station and this chick LISA said NO CALL the person who took you. I've never heard of such NONSENSE, if you call for a cab how you got there has nothing do with w/how you're leaving. Lisa the dispatcher said she won't help me and I can walk back for all she cares because I left the other cab before it came...mind you I was waiting in the FREEZING COLD for close to an hour. NEVER AGAIN will I use WESTSIDE car service in Beacon, NY.

I wound up using TREK car service and they were friendly, and prompt.

Huerita_Loca
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I had a great visit on Friday at Downstate that was until the cab service WESTSIDE tried to ruin it. This was my first time taking public transportation and having read how easy it is I decided to try it...and its not bad at all JUST don't use WESTSIDE as your cab service to get from the metro north station to downstate...the dispatcher LISA is EXTEMELY RUDE and NASTY and they left me stranded for like an hour until I found another cab willing to take me, and giving westside the benefit of the doubt called them to return me to the train station and this chick LISA said NO CALL the person who took you. I've never heard of such NONSENSE, if you call for a cab how you got there has nothing do with w/how you're leaving. Lisa the dispatcher said she won't help me and I can walk back for all she cares because I left the other cab before it came...mind you I was waiting in the FREEZING COLD for close to an hour. NEVER AGAIN will I use WESTSIDE car service in Beacon, NY.

I wound up using TREK car service and they were friendly, and prompt.

Some of the other posts make it seem like the cabs are WAITING at the train station to pick people up. Is that not true? Do you have the # for Trek still? I'm going to be visiting for Valentine's Day weekend. I'm coming all the way from Florida so I really do NOT want anything to mess it up - I will be DEVASTATED. If you have the number for Trek I'd appreciate it. I'll try to Google it, but just in case.

Huerita_Loca
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I couldn't find anything in Beacon going by the name Trek so if you have it, it would be helpful. Thanks.