View Full Version : Do They Owe Any Kind Of Money Upon Release?

missinmyboo88
03-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi ladies!

I have a question about something ive been hearing. When inmates get out of prison/jail do they have things they have to pay off? I'm just worried about that because my boyfriend and I are trying to move in together when he gets out. Ive been saving a lot. I'm worried that he will have to pay some kind of fees for being in jail/prison. I have no idea if thats true? Ive heard this before. He has no babies so i know he wouldnt have to pay anything for that. But if any of you know, id like to know if its true and what kind of fees are they, and how much do they usually cost? Thanks so much!!

chelseagreg1427
03-29-2010, 03:25 PM
he might have a lot of debt from when he went in, depending on what kind of payments he wasnt able to keep up on, etc. but as far as fees from prison, i dont think they have anything here.
but i have heard that a lot of states are making inmates pay each day they are there, so if you are in one of those states he might have a big bill when he gets out.

as for us, we will just be getting money when he gets out. since we lived together i just kept up on all our bills, and we paid 200 deposit for his tv so we get that a couple weeks after he gets out.

Joshsgirl431
03-29-2010, 04:05 PM
I know in my state, NC, there are no fees for being in prison. But my boyfriend will have a ton of fines to pay and he has to pay for part of his lawyers fees. My boyfriend robbed a store so he has to pay that money back and some fines for some other things that happened that same night. I think VA and GA make inmates pay a dollar a day or something like that. Or they were working on it, not sure if it's come into law yet.

Hisoneandonly
03-29-2010, 04:11 PM
I think that some jails in VA charge a dollar a day to the people in them (as far as I know my husband hasn't been charge anything like that)..If he has fines and stuff from his crime, he will have to pay them.

ALWAYS HERE 4 M
03-29-2010, 04:13 PM
If California, if he owes restitution and does not pay it off while inside I believe he will have to pay it off before he discharges parole.

DiW1965
03-29-2010, 06:22 PM
If California, if he owes restitution and does not pay it off while inside I believe he will have to pay it off before he discharges parole.

Fom what I understand you don't have to pay off restitution to discharge from parole. Restitution will follow you though and the state will pick up collecting it.

CCWFer Friend
03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Restitution is one of those things, like a tax bill or student loan, that will never go away until paid. If he was ordered to pay restitution it was ordered at sentencing so he can figure it out easily and it is likely he was ordered to pay something. It needs to be taken care of or it is collected post parole, and like a delinquent state tax debt, by the Franchise Tax Board. Correct me if I am wrong, but they charge interest if it is not paid so try to knock it out ASAP or the amount will keep going up after parole.

abob1717
03-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Restitution is one of those things, like a tax bill or student loan, that will never go away until paid. If he was ordered to pay restitution it was ordered at sentencing so he can figure it out easily and it is likely he was ordered to pay something. It needs to be taken care of or it is collected post parole, and like a delinquent state tax debt, by the Franchise Tax Board. Correct me if I am wrong, but they charge interest if it is not paid so try to knock it out ASAP or the amount will keep going up after parole.

Or just leave CA after discharge and forget about it. From what I understand, CA will only go as far as the franchise tax board which is limited to CA. They can only take your CA tax refunds or garnish CA income. Non CA income and federal taxes are safe unless they get a civil judgment against you which is unlikely.

missinmyboo88
03-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Oh wow thats a lot of information to take in thanks so much everyone! Yes were in California. The last time he got out they gave him money but about the restitution, will they inform him about this and how much it is? Or is their anyway I can find out how much it is?

sidewalker
03-30-2010, 09:51 AM
he should know how much it is. I believe they get an accounting but not sure how often. Surely they will give him one before he's released.

ALWAYS HERE 4 M
03-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh wow thats a lot of information to take in thanks so much everyone! Yes were in California. The last time he got out they gave him money but about the restitution, will they inform him about this and how much it is? Or is their anyway I can find out how much it is?

Ask him to send you a statement for his trust account. It will list his restitution and any money going in or out for the month. He can request one from accounting and send it to you. :thumbsup:

Shari
03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
They do not give you a statement of how much you owe when you are released. You have to ask for that. When C was released he actually thought he had it all paid off with his fire fighting money. His statements he would get each month showed that it was all paid off except for like $100 then about a month or so before his release he all of the sudden owed $900. It is like they found a new resitution amount for him. He asked about it but no one can give him a answer on where it came from. Even his PO did not know what that amount was for. You do not have to pay of the reistution before you are discharged from parole. He was discharged after 13 months and was never able to pay that amount off. We will start doing that as soon as we have two incomes.

missinmyboo88
03-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Oh ok I see now. Thanks everyone! Now I have a more clearer understanding of what all that is, because at first I wasnt sure and I just wanted to have an understanding. Thanks ladies!

Ted's mom
04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
The amount for restitution is in the court record. You can access it by going to the courthouse and they will look it up. There is a person in the county courthouse who is responsible for this department and they can calculate the whole thing out off of the court record but hopefully he can get an accurate accounting for himself.

socal729
09-20-2010, 06:06 PM
They do not give you a statement of how much you owe when you are released. You have to ask for that. When C was released he actually thought he had it all paid off with his fire fighting money. His statements he would get each month showed that it was all paid off except for like $100 then about a month or so before his release he all of the sudden owed $900. It is like they found a new resitution amount for him. He asked about it but no one can give him a answer on where it came from. Even his PO did not know what that amount was for. You do not have to pay of the reistution before you are discharged from parole. He was discharged after 13 months and was never able to pay that amount off. We will start doing that as soon as we have two incomes.

My son is on parole - just into his 1st month and can not find a job so has not made a payment on his restitution yet. Today he received a letter from CA tax franchise board saying something about going to collections... it has only been 1 month - collections already??? How often do they make payments? Monthly or when they can ?

halebop
09-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Do all felonies in CA wind up with restitution to be paid? Would possession of controlled substance typically carry restitution if you had a public defender or is restitution only when there's a victim in the case?

Shari
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Wow you are the second person I have heard that from. C never got that letter so I am begining to think that the remainer he owed was not really restitution it was something to do with parole and since he complete parole he does not owe it anymore.

I would guess they will except monthly payments, I would say call them and see if you can work out some sort of payment plan. Man CA is so hard off they are actually going after people on parole for money. I have never heard of that before and my late fiance sure owed a lot of money and he worked and they never ever bothered him. Like I said this is now the second person I have heard them doing this to.

Shari
09-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Do all felonies in CA wind up with restitution to be paid? Would possession of controlled substance typically carry restitution if you had a public defender or is restitution only when there's a victim in the case?

From what I am told resitution is a fine, so usually there is some kind attached to cases. I know my guy had a drug offense with a public defender and he had resitution.

socal729
09-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Wow you are the second person I have heard that from. C never got that letter so I am begining to think that the remainer he owed was not really restitution it was something to do with parole and since he complete parole he does not owe it anymore.

I would guess they will except monthly payments, I would say call them and see if you can work out some sort of payment plan. Man CA is so hard off they are actually going after people on parole for money. I have never heard of that before and my late fiance sure owed a lot of money and he worked and they never ever bothered him. Like I said this is now the second person I have heard them doing this to.

Yeah I called the restitution office in Sacramento and she said that they do not have the money to collect restitution fines so all restitutions are being handled by the Tax Franchise Board in CA. The letters being sent out are a "formality" to let them know that restitution is owed and what the options are...and if they don't pay what can happen. She went on to say "he did nothing wrong and he is not being singled out and they know he just got out - the Franchise Tax Board is just getting the word out".
My question is without a job (not for lack of tryting) how does one pay any restitution? Do they not consider that? Currently he is in transistional housing and is not able to pay anything without a job. Anyone with similar situation - let me know.

Raquel1415
01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Ladies..since this topic about restitutionis brought up..i wanna ask, my husband is at calipatria state prison and from what i remember he does have a $10,000 restitution, does this mean that they may also deduct it from me since we did get married?

Im kinda gettign freaked out about it! lol

Shari
01-02-2011, 07:36 AM
They can, but to tell you the truth I have never heard it happen yet. What I have seen happen a bunch lately is when they are released the State Franchise Tax board has been taking money from their paychecks. A friend of mine husband recieved a notice from them like within a couple of months of his release telling him that they will be deducting money from his paycheck. They have not touched her paycheck. The only thing I would tell you is if you are expecting a refund you should file married filing seperatly cause they will most likely keep any refund he is expecting.

Sylvia
01-02-2011, 03:02 PM
My son got a notice from the Franchise Tax board that they will be withholding from his check as well (as if he has one). The kicker is they have the wrong amount. They still show the full amount he owes and does not show the over $2000.00 that was already withheld by the prison system. Now we have to fight that.

Shari
01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Wow that really stinks. Do you have any proof that money should of been put towards it? If you used JPay do they have a record of all the money you have sent, if so I owuld print that to show who ever you have to deal with all the money sent in and the fact that 55% of that money was of course taken.

We were lucky most of C's was paid off by his pay from Fire Camp. All he had left was the one the judge gives that you do not have to pay unless you do not complete parole and of course he has complete parole so we do not owe the state any more money. He never got one of those notices when he was released.

Raquel1415
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Hmm i see. by any chance do you happen to know if im allowed to file as single bcuz im 21 and my mom is planning to claim me as her dependent? OR if im married would my mom still be able to put me as her dependent, if i file as single?

They can, but to tell you the truth I have never heard it happen yet. What I have seen happen a bunch lately is when they are released the State Franchise Tax board has been taking money from their paychecks. A friend of mine husband recieved a notice from them like within a couple of months of his release telling him that they will be deducting money from his paycheck. They have not touched her paycheck. The only thing I would tell you is if you are expecting a refund you should file married filing seperatly cause they will most likely keep any refund he is expecting.

lovinghim777
01-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Ssssoooo... my husband has a restitution of $420,000. ya i know.. thats a butt load of money. thats a house! lol anyways he and 2 other guys have to pay it off together. first of all, how do I find out how much we have put in for it? will it include what the other guys did too? Second, I really doubt we are ever gonna pay that off! Will it mess up our chances of ever getting a house? And I saw a comment on if we move outta state then it wouldnt be forced on to us. Is this true? Cuz we want to move outa state one day after he is done with parole, and that would be awesome if we can just pay it on our own time.
What will happen if we like never pay it?

Shari
01-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Hmm i see. by any chance do you happen to know if im allowed to file as single bcuz im 21 and my mom is planning to claim me as her dependent? OR if im married would my mom still be able to put me as her dependent, if i file as single?

Ok from what I know (and I would say to be safe talk to a tax person about this) if you file your own taxes your mom can not take you as a dependent, and vise versa if she is able to claim you then I do not think you can file your own taxes. Again I am not a expert on this, but from what I know it can not go both ways. Also if you are married I do not think she can claim you anymore. Like I said talk to someone who prepares taxes they will be able to give you all the correct answers.

Shari
01-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Ssssoooo... my husband has a restitution of $420,000. ya i know.. thats a butt load of money. thats a house! lol anyways he and 2 other guys have to pay it off together. first of all, how do I find out how much we have put in for it? will it include what the other guys did too? Second, I really doubt we are ever gonna pay that off! Will it mess up our chances of ever getting a house? And I saw a comment on if we move outta state then it wouldnt be forced on to us. Is this true? Cuz we want to move outa state one day after he is done with parole, and that would be awesome if we can just pay it on our own time.
What will happen if we like never pay it?

Your husband can put in a request to get his accounting. I do not know what form it is but I am sure someone will come along and tell you. As for leaving the state, from what I know from personal experience with the Franchise Tax Board, if they do put a lien against you they will still be able to get any Federal Tax Refund you should recieve even if you are in another state. I do not know if they can get the refund from the other state, but I do know they can get your Federal Refund. You might be able to call them once he gets out and maybe work out a payment plan but I do not know about that.

Sylvia
01-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Wow that really stinks. Do you have any proof that money should of been put towards it? If you used JPay do they have a record of all the money you have sent, if so I owuld print that to show who ever you have to deal with all the money sent in and the fact that 55% of that money was of course taken.

We were lucky most of C's was paid off by his pay from Fire Camp. All he had left was the one the judge gives that you do not have to pay unless you do not complete parole and of course he has complete parole so we do not owe the state any more money. He never got one of those notices when he was released.

It was taken out from the money I provided him while inside. He has the quarterly notices from the cash office showing the 55% of that and his 12cent an hour earnings. TO make it even more irratating the codefendant had her's wiped out completely, she never paid anything.

Shari
01-03-2011, 03:05 PM
You should get in touch with Sac. and get it all straightened out as soon as possible. Boy how did she get so lucky to get hers wiped out. That is not fair at all. I thought eveyrone who is convicted of a felony has to pay something.

Good luck in getting this taken care of.

CrazyMailMan
01-10-2011, 09:58 PM
I have been on parole since 1994, and have never had anyone come after me for restitution. It IS a condition of parole to pay off restitution, but I have seen many guys get their early discharge even without paying a dime on it.

Shari
01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Yes you can get the early discharge without paying it off, but recently I have seen a lot of guys get letters from the State Franchise Tax Board within a couple of months of their release saying that they will start garnishing the wages for the resitution. I know in the past they had not done that but like I said within the last year or so I have been seeing it happen more often.