View Full Version : Do they test inmates for STDs before their release?

<3mymichael216
03-27-2010, 10:34 PM
weird question.... is it a requirement for the FLDOC to test inmates before release for HIV/AIDS, and other STD's? ive been reading a lot and i seen where they get tested when they come to prison- my hubby told me they tested people not only at the jail he was held at before he was shipped out to prison, then he was tested again at CFRC. im just curious to know if the inmates are tested again before their release?

hischubchub
03-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Yes they are. My fiance says that they are strict on that.

<3mymichael216
03-27-2010, 11:31 PM
thats good to know. if theres something wrong will they let the inmate know before their release? im sure a lot of wives/girlfriends & hubbies/boyfriends would like to know that their hubbies/boyfriends & wives/girl friends are good and healthy before they come home and continue a physical relationship together. not to mention its good to know our loved ones are okay in general. how can we on the other side of the razor wire find out test results- or is this considered a patient confidentiality thing, in other words its up to our inmates to tell us test results? and do inmates find out results before they leave prison ? and is it like when we give blood on the outside- they only tell you if somethings wrong, and if all is well, they just let you go on your merry way with no word?

hischubchub
03-27-2010, 11:38 PM
I am unsure about that, but just ask him. I will be asking my boyfriend his results & if he does get a print out, I would like to see them. Maybe somebody else can better answer your specific questions. All I know is they are tested in county and when they leave. You can probably get him to test when he is released at your local clinic.

thats good to know. if theres something wrong will they let the inmate know before their release? im sure a lot of wives/girlfriends & hubbies/boyfriends would like to know that their hubbies/boyfriends & wives/girl friends are good and healthy before they come home and continue a physical relationship together. not to mention its good to know our loved ones are okay in general. how can we on the other side of the razor wire find out test results- or is this considered a patient confidentiality thing, in other words its up to our inmates to tell us test results? and do inmates find out results before they leave prison ? and is it like when we give blood on the outside- they only tell you if somethings wrong, and if all is well, they just let you go on your merry way with no word?

BGsWIFEY
03-28-2010, 12:02 AM

When my best friend got out in 08 i had all his paper work and there was a paper sayin he didnt have hiv/aids. i forget if it said stds. the other day i was goin through my stuff and found 1 of the papers, i remember it said somethin about signing a release about giving some1 else the info or something.. cant remember exactly because I just glanced at it but he def goes home with the paper saying his results. Ill dig through the papers later and let u know what it says

wifeofMichael
03-28-2010, 06:43 AM
If he signs a HIPPA form stating you can have the results then you can call. My husband did it at Reception and when he got to ACI.

<3mymichael216
03-28-2010, 07:24 AM
Ah, thats what i wondering about . being in the nursing field as my primary job, we hear about HIPPA all the time as you can imagine. however i wasnt sure if DOC followed suit, or if as always they followed their own set of rules. thanks ya'll!

pbandk
03-29-2010, 01:04 PM
They do test when they're released, but I'm going to make my guy do it six months later. Sometimes things wont show up immediately on the test.

trawig
03-30-2010, 10:28 AM
I read somewhere in here a story of a wife who got a call stating that her husband had tested positive for HIV, and to the best of my recollection, he had been in at least a couple of years, and had a bit more time to do. So I'm wondering if this testing is done on an annuall or bi-annual basis or something, and not just upon reception and release? Or maybe it was just that in this man's case, the dorm guards were aware of the relationship he was having with another inmate? Or possibly if they get busted doing something like getting a tattoo? You know, at-risk behavior pre-empting the DOC to test more frequently? Anyone have any knowledge about this?

jonnytop
03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
I wasnt tested and give 2 condoms.

<3mymichael216
03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
oh my. as ignorant as it sounds for them to do that,(give u condoms n never test you) i suppose its good for some people, too (except for the no testing part- what prison did u go to?)sorta six of one n half a dozen of the other. like my hubby said tho, things like prison rape n stuff are fairly rare because theres just so many ready n willing. his best friend even told me that because naturally when people began hearing he was in prison, that was the first thing outta his mouth a lot of the time, so of coarse i freaked, being worried to begin with. but his best friend who was locked up for a few years here n then some other men that i know set me strait n explained the whole 'theres too many ready n willing' thing n it put a lot into prespective, n took a lot of worry from me. i know my hubby better than anyone n i know ive got nothing to fear, n hes not crazy enough to get something like a prison tat, n he doent wanna lose time for something like that. i guess some people just cant help it though, which makes worries for families of inmates that do steer clear of such wreckless behavior more difficult to over come. hmmmm..

<3mymichael216
03-30-2010, 09:22 PM
i just discussed this with my husband. he told me that he doent know one person in prison thats never been tested at some point, n that he cant ever see why you would ever be given condoms when doing so for those that may, would lead to so much trouble n loss of your gaintime n such. maybe this is different in a federal prison? or if youre there for life or longer? it doesnt make any sense to me, either, but then again who really knows.

wifeofMichael
03-31-2010, 12:16 AM
I believe if they suspect something is going on or catch you doing something they test.

<3mymichael216
03-31-2010, 05:06 AM
ah. thats a good thing for those that do things like that.

pbandk
04-01-2010, 07:05 PM
I think you might be able to request it once in a while.