View Full Version : Legally, how long is to OK to keep an inmate in the hole?

jazzy09
03-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I know in maximum security prisons there are some men that are in there every day of there li ves. But what about at a Low security prison? My boyfriend is in there for a fight, will he lose his RDAp rogram? Hes been in there for 7 weeks already. This is not healthy, Im worried. This is terrible , thanks

chelseagreg1427
03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
ive seen on here stories of men that have been in for months and years.

nevaeh2morrow
03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
They can be in there for years. He should get a hearing within a certain amount of time and then given his "punishment" and should know how long he has to stay. Have you written to him? He may know by now.

thatwiz
03-11-2010, 04:32 PM
My old man got 9 months for fighting. He doesn't even have that long on his sentence-I guess they want to see him leave from the box.

soon2Bsentenced
03-12-2010, 12:05 AM
In Wisconsin you can be in the main "hole" for up to 12 months. But as I'm sure many states have, they have different levels of segregation. You may start out in the worst, and then slowly regain certain priveleges. There is definitely a difference between maximum security prison and "the hole." I've been in both. A max you may be locked down all day, but you have other priveleges (maybe going to a library, having a tv, a radio, going to chow) in the hole you are stripped of nearly everything, no radio, a certain number of showers per week, the only personal property you may be allowed to have is basic hygience and writing materials, maybe a choice of a couple of books per week, etc. It varies by state.

jazzy09
03-12-2010, 05:05 AM
So basically, it is up to the correctional officers when he'll get out. That is terrible. He said in letters that he still hasnt heard anything about a hearing , its been seven weeks. This should be illegal.

HardHeadedWoman
03-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Jamie did 18 months hole time just to be found not guilty when all was said and done.

Miss_A
03-12-2010, 07:31 AM
So basically, it is up to the correctional officers when he'll get out. That is terrible. He said in letters that he still hasnt heard anything about a hearing , its been seven weeks. This should be illegal.

You're right, it should be. My Hadi knew it wasn't right when it happened to him, so he filed a civil suit against the facility.

While he was in county jail, he was put in the hole, but was never given a hearing as to why. He spent 364 days in there. So, he fiiled a civil suit, and one day shy of a year, they put him back in genearal pop. Of course, he didn't win the civil case, but atleast it helped him get out of the hole.

jazzy09
03-12-2010, 07:51 AM
That is terrible that he spent a yeAR in the hole. That had to be hard. And its not just hard on the inmate, its hard on the family too. Do u agree?

Theresam67
03-12-2010, 08:24 AM
I know someone who has spent 3 yrs in the hole. It sucks trust me. My man spent 3 weeks in the whole and I swear it was the worse thing ever. He lost weight, we didnt get a phone call, mail was slow and when they found him not guilty it took them 2 months put move him back to population :( It's crazy!

mrs.grumps
03-12-2010, 09:24 AM
California has "indeterminate SHU terms", some inmates have no set out date for release from the hole.

Gryphon
03-12-2010, 01:27 PM
The real world answer is: as long as the prison feels like it; and for any half-baked reason they'd like to base that decision on (be that reason real or fabricated.)

The legal answer is that an adminstrative decision made by an administrative agency has to at least pass a "rational basis" test. They can't do it because it is Thursday, or because of his hair color.
There's some argument to be made that there ought to be a higher standard of review in place since the matter being challenged has Due Process and Equal protection requirements.
It can also be argued that some placements are unconstitutional when they are "cruel". It's a fabulously high hurdle to clear, since killing condemned inmates isn't "cruel" short of outright provable torture. We have a very high threshold for "cruel".
The challege to the housing decision would be via Writ of habeus Corpus, but that can't be done until all possible administrative remedies (in house review) has been completed.
It is true that in CA inmates can be single cell housed (and virtually deprived of direct human contact) for years; and higher courts have had no trouble with that (at both the State and Federal level.)

I know in maximum security prisons there are some men that are in there every day of there li ves. But what about at a Low security prison? My boyfriend is in there for a fight, will he lose his RDAp rogram? Hes been in there for 7 weeks already. This is not healthy, Im worried. This is terrible , thanks

Lordbew/us
03-15-2010, 08:51 PM
This is very sad, and hard to believe that we can treat another human being this way. I personally find it unconscionable to leave an inmate in a cell totally isolated, with little to do for long lengths of time. What are the ramifications???? How many of these inmates end up with mental problems?

Gryphon
03-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Many inmates who end up in isolated housing start out with mental health problems. They can't follow the rules, act out, and are scary. In time. that can land an inmate at Pelican Bay and the SHU. These inmates get housed in the SHU because they have to be somewhere and at least they won't hurt anyone else.
The other way to get to the SHU is to be a gang member that they want to break. The intent of the housing is to torture the inmate, but do so just inside the permissible limits of Constitutional tolerance. The purpose is to break the inmate and have them "deprogram" aka snitch.

This is very sad, and hard to believe that we can treat another human being this way. I personally find it unconscionable to leave an inmate in a cell totally isolated, with little to do for long lengths of time. What are the ramifications???? How many of these inmates end up with mental problems?