View Full Version : First time offense - 90 days county jail

scaredsenseless
03-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Hello everyone,

Last August i was arrested with a little over an ounce of marijuana with several grams individually bagged. They got me for intent to sell.

This is my first offense. I have never been to jail prior to this. I hired a lawyer and he said the best he could get out of the prosecutor was 90 days in Los Angeles County jail. I took the plea bargin.

I have to turn myself in on March 28th. I've started to do research online and I'm scared senseless right now. I haven't slept for 32 hours. I understand that jail isn't supposed to be easy. But I'm in my early twenties, 5' 7" 140 lbs Asian guy. I have never been in a fight in my life.

I read about the trustee program where you get to do your time at a smaller jail. I asked my lawyer and he said i would qualify, but my question is what are the chances of me actually getting into the program?

I think some of the scarier articles I read were dated back when there weren't "modules" ? Are inmates now separated by race / severity of crime? Does me being Asian mean that I'm going to be targeted?

Should i tell them that I'm gay? I read somewhere that they are separated from general population. Is this true? Would me being labeled gay eventually get me into more trouble?

When will i find out what where I'll be housed? If you were to guess, where would you think they would house me?

Will i be raped? What are the current housing conditions? 40 to a dorm or 2 to a cell?

Thank you.

JaesLilMomo
03-04-2010, 08:41 PM
My bf got 365 days and after 2 days in county they told him he qualified for the trustee program. I wish you luck!!

120days
03-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone,

Last August i was arrested with a little over an ounce of marijuana with several grams individually bagged. They got me for intent to sell.

This is my first offense. I have never been to jail prior to this. I hired a lawyer and he said the best he could get out of the prosecutor was 90 days in Los Angeles County jail. I took the plea bargin.

I have to turn myself in on March 28th. I've started to do research online and I'm scared senseless right now. I haven't slept for 32 hours. I understand that jail isn't supposed to be easy. But I'm in my early twenties, 5' 7" 140 lbs Asian guy. I have never been in a fight in my life.

I read about the trustee program where you get to do your time at a smaller jail. I asked my lawyer and he said i would qualify, but my question is what are the chances of me actually getting into the program?

I think some of the scarier articles I read were dated back when there weren't "modules" ? Are inmates now separated by race / severity of crime? Does me being Asian mean that I'm going to be targeted?

Should i tell them that I'm gay? I read somewhere that they are separated from general population. Is this true? Would me being labeled gay eventually get me into more trouble?

When will i find out what where I'll be housed? If you were to guess, where would you think they would house me?

Will i be raped? What are the current housing conditions? 40 to a dorm or 2 to a cell?

Thank you.

When I was in jail awaiting my court date for my 2nd dui back in 2005, the Asians had to align themselves with either the whites, blacks, or mexicans. It was more for taking turns on the phone and shower as a group, but if anything ever went down, you would have the group's back and they would have yours. You can also be punished by your group if you do something to make them look bad. Just use some common sense, keep to yourself, don't be a snitch, etc. It's survival mode in there, but as long as you don't do anything stupid, you should be fine. It's county jail and it'd behoove everyone to be on their best behavior to get out sooner than later. Hopefully you'll do 50% or less for your first offense and non violent crime.

Annabelle
03-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Hello everyone,

Thank you.

OH Sweetie, I'm so sorry you have to go through this and you are so scared! I don't know if saying you are gay will segregate you and I worry that there will be a risk that you aren't segregated soon enough before some macho egoman takes offense. That's a tough one.

I don't think you'll get raped, don't believe everything you hear. Keep your head up, eyes and ears open and you'll be fine. The race thing is really strange in jail/prison. My son is bi-racial and was raised with very liberal thinking but for now that is out the door = survival. It's all so unfortunate. Good luck and try not to show your fear, stay strong and stay out of other people's business. You will be fine, you will get through this. If you can get to a Sheriff substation then you will be in the best situation.

grayworldangel
03-08-2010, 10:49 AM
No need to be scared senseless. It's really not as bad as all that. Keep your mouth shut and ignore everything going on around you, and you'll be fine.

On the positive side, with such a low level charge, you'll probably do your time at either a sheriff patrol station or at home with electronic monitoring (if you can afford it).

scaredsenseless
03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Thank you guys for the replies.

Couple other questions if you can help.

It says on the paper to report to "bauchet". I assume thats IRC?

Where do I "apply" to do my time at a sheriff patrol station or for electronic monitoring?

grayworldangel
03-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Bauchet Street has two jails, IRC, and the Arraignment Court. I think that they each have a different street address. But, my guess is, yes, you go to IRC to turn yourself in--that's where you'll be processed in, anyway. There's not really an "application" for electronic monitoring or patrol station trustee, the computer prints your name on a list as being eligible and they interview you for house arrest or they just transfer you to a patrol station as a trustee.

scaredsenseless
03-28-2010, 04:37 AM
The day is getting close. Monday :[

Any last minute tips on when i should turn myself in / what i bring with me?

My paper says i have to turn myself in my 6. but i was just curious if it would be better to turn myself in at a different time (earlier) for one reason or another.

I wear glasses, would metal framed glasses be acceptable? How much should i bring in to put on the books?

Also, based on my offense being an intent for sale of marijuana, could someone try to paint a picture of what i should expect upon arrival? It would greatly help to calm me if i had a mental image of what to expect.

Thank you. This has been helpful