View Full Version : What Can Inmates Purchase In Prison?

Gavin123
03-04-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm curious: My son is currently at kirkland R&E. Once he is transfered, hopefully close to home, What exactly do the institutions offer? What are they allowed to purchase or have? Hopefully he will be in Perry, it is basically in my back yard. I'm trying to get ahead of everything. I just don't know anyone that's ever been in prison to ask.

I read they have tv's, radio's, and what else can he purchase?

Any info is greatly appreciated...Thanks

choclgs
03-04-2010, 01:41 PM
They can buy food (mainly packaged foods), hygiene products, socks/underwear, and tv/radios. I wouldn't recommend the tv because my love said sometimes they don't last beyond the warranty time so the radio would be better but these are expensive and are hot items so if your son's not careful it can be stolen or a targeted item. Once he gets settled, he'll begin to figure out what he needs to make it through his time.

bigcat22
03-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I've been there. TV's are too expensive and frequently break. A radio is a far better purchase. You need one anyway to watch television in the day room and it is a great way to block out all the noise (cost$60.00). The batteries only last about a week and cost about $2 per pack. A good pair of tennis shoes is essential(cost $60.00). The stae issued BoBo's wear out after 6 weeks and it's hard to get replacements. T shirts, shorts, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, soap and a hair brush are also good purchases That whole setup is roughly $30.00. A lock for his locker is important($10.00).
Tell him to be very careful when he first hits the yard. Inmates will be watching for spending and they will steal or beg to get what you have. Buy the essentials but go slowly on the food until he gets the lay of land. All in he could be comfortable with around $200.00 to start. $50.00 per month will keep him in hygiene items, batteries and an occasional snack when the cafeteria becomes unbearable.

bigcat22
03-09-2010, 08:47 AM
You might also want to look into a spring package for him. But wait till he get acclimated.

choclgs
03-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I've been there. TV's are too expensive and frequently break. A radio is a far better purchase. You need one anyway to watch television in the day room and it is a great way to block out all the noise (cost$60.00). The batteries only last about a week and cost about $2 per pack. A good pair of tennis shoes is essential(cost $60.00). The stae issued BoBo's wear out after 6 weeks and it's hard to get replacements. T shirts, shorts, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, soap and a hair brush are also good purchases That whole setup is roughly $30.00. A lock for his locker is important($10.00).
Tell him to be very careful when he first hits the yard. Inmates will be watching for spending and they will steal or beg to get what you have. Buy the essentials but go slowly on the food until he gets the lay of land. All in he could be comfortable with around $200.00 to start. $50.00 per month will keep him in hygiene items, batteries and an occasional snack when the cafeteria becomes unbearable.

I wish you had been here months ago when I could've used this information :D I give what I can, but one of us more responsible with money than the other, but he's understanding that more. my love told me it's hard to get tennis shoes unless you have a medical excuse and he's always gotten the boots, perhaps this is only at certain institutions.

Gavin123
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks All :)