View Full Version : What the process prior to being release from prison?

VT&BT
03-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Hello everyone. Hope this month will go by fast so everyone can be one month closer to your love ones.

I been reading thread after thread and haven't really find my answer yet. Can anyone please help me with my question?

My husband is currently serving his time at CMC East in San Luis Obispo, CA. He have served 2 year. His earlier release date suppose to be in June 2010. We haven't heard anything. He only have 4 months left. Does anyone know what we should expect? What the step by step procedure prior to being release? Any information will be helpful!! Thank you!!:confused:

PTO-79211
03-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Do you mean what is the procedure to being released from the prison...or what is the procedure when it comes to parole? I want to make sure and get the best answers for your questions. :thumbsup:

concern29
03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
My husband and i are going through the same process. We are in georgia and the process before parole is he would have to do a 1/3 of sentence to be eligble unless he finish the entire sentence, but they would contact any victims involve and look into his history and family background and the crime itself also his behavior while in their so all of that play an important role so parole can be b holes about it and make you want to curse them but be patient.

socal729
03-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Do you mean what is the procedure to being released from the prison...or what is the procedure when it comes to parole? I want to make sure and get the best answers for your questions. :thumbsup:

I am interested too in learning about the process for parole AND the procedure to be released from prison ...

Also how many miles out of county can one travel when on parole?

GipsieTiger
03-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I would imagine that this process would differ from state to state and also differ from person to person as each person getting out of prison has a different set of circumstances.
In Louisiana, a person getting out on their good-time date would be moved to a part of the prison that houses "short-timers" (people also getting close to getting out soon) and would be allowed to particpate as a trustee. A trustee can have multple job rolls including leaving the prison during the day to p/u trash on the road sides,etc. Some short timers can be moved to half-way houses about 3-9 months prior to good time discharge dates. This is the best case scenario b/c it allows the individual to make/save some money while winging him/her self back into society. (This is not always an option.)

Individuals who go before a parole board and are granted parole, usually don't just leave prison that day. I've seen people in prison make parole and then go through about a 30-90 day program that is also a means of winging back into society before actually being sent home. Again, this is based on my personal experiences in Louisiana, and I'm sure this process varies from state to state and specific to each person's type of crime/charge.

Edited to add: When I was released on parole, I was not allowed to leave the country until after my time on parole ended. I'm not even sure you can obtain a visa while on parole.

Gipsie

D4C
03-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Hello everyone. Hope this month will go by fast so everyone can be one month closer to your love ones.

I been reading thread after thread and haven't really find my answer yet. Can anyone please help me with my question?

My husband is currently serving his time at CMC East in San Luis Obispo, CA. He have served 2 year. His earlier release date suppose to be in June 2010. We haven't heard anything. He only have 4 months left. Does anyone know what we should expect? What the step by step procedure prior to being release? Any information will be helpful!! Thank you!!:confused:

My man gets out in June too! Actually he just signed his parole papers, which I thought was a little early, but I'm not complaining...

Well, to start off with, at 30 prior to his release you can send a box with release clothing in it. Just send it to him at his normal address and write ATTN: R&R and write "DRESS OUTS" all over the box.

You should also call R&R to see what time you have to be there to pick him up so that they don't take him to the bus station.

It's really a fairly simple process... Good Luck!

VT&BT
03-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Hi there..hmmm...that's a good question! I feel so stupid :(. Sorry I'm new to this. I'm trying to determine the following....

He was given a release date of June 14,2010. Is this a set date or could it still be change? In case it remain the same or get change, does the inmate get notify? And if so when do they know for sure?

So let's say that date is set, what things are required before getting released? Such as does the inmate get interview? Do they tell him or the family who his parole officer will be? Do they contact us? Home visit? I guess any signs I should be looking for so we know he will be home soon. :) Also I heard they usually release inmate about 2 months prior to their set date...is that true?

By the way, what the difference between being release from prison and when it comes for parole? :idea:

I "THANK YOU" very much! Any information will be very helpful to me. If possible, I can get the information for the state of CA, since all state are different.

Ted's mom
03-05-2010, 03:32 AM
My son was released on the predicted release date. He did not have any trouble in jail that postponed the release. There was no visit to the home before he was released and neither he nor I were given the name of the PO ahead of time. I did call and talk to one of the POs to ask about the rules so I could make sure the house met all of the qualifications. He had 24 hours from release to report to the parole office. I sent a box of clothes to the prison 30 days ahead to the R&R department and he was given those clothes on the morning of his release. He was released at 7:30 am and brought to the front of the prison where there is a parking area for picking up prisoners who are released. If no one is there they are taken to the bus station. He was given $200 about half in cash and half in a check. He reported to parole the next day and they came to the house on the second day. The visits were short. They only briefly looked in the room in which he was staying. After that he reported and tested in the office once a month and they came to the house once a month. They would usually call ahead to see if he was here or tell him to be home between certain hours.

Shari
03-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Here is what I know about the release. As long as they did not have any trouble or write ups the ERD that they were given will be their release date. At about 30 days to the door CDC will recalculate his release date to make sure it is correct. They do it again a few more time during that month up to about two days before he is released. With my guy about two days before his release they did the recalculation and said they made a mistake and he had to stay two more weeks. He never had a write up and never got in trouble, he was in fire camp but they said that they just found their mistake. You can send him his dress outs 30 days to the gate, they will hold it in R&R until the day of his release. (If in fire camp you can sometimes send them earlier and theire they usually let them try on the clothes to make sure they fit). About 1 or 2 weeks before release they are put on S status and if they have a job they stop working so that they can figure out how much money is in the trust account and have that check ready for them on the day of the release. The day of the release they are moved to R&R where they are given their dress outs and get to get dressed. They are then given their parole papers, and any other info they are to get, they get their gate money (usually $200 in cash) If they do not have any dress outs they can use some of that money to buy clothes to wear home. Then they are loaded into a van and taken to where us wait for them. They let out the guys who have a ride waiting. The rest of the guys are then taken to the train station where they can use the gate money to buy a bus ticket to get home. (the procedure is different if they are getting released from a fire camp). They are usually given 24 hours to report to parole. If they are on high control and the release date is a Friday or Saturday they are usually held until Sunday so they can report within 24 hours (if there is a legal holiday on a Monday they will not get released until Monday so they can report within 24 hours). I hope this helps a little and if any of my info is wrong I hope someone will correct me. Oh yea any money in the trust account will be given to them in the form of a check.