View Full Version : Meal Plans

nancyginnm
03-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know where (or if) we can find the DOC 6 week meal plans for each facility? I looked on the DOC website but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Oceanmoon
03-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know where (or if) we can find the DOC 6 week meal plans for each facility? I looked on the DOC website but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

When my husband was in he would mail it to me. So you might as for your loved one to send it to you.

Nanci9
03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Nancy: For all DOC facilities the 6 week cycle plan is the same. The variables are-special diets, i.e. diabetic and allergy, then you also have religious, i.e. Kosher, and vegan. Vegetarian is considered taking the sub for the day. You can get this by request to the facility kitchen secretary and or there is always a Captain in charge over the kitchen who is usually on site during the day shift. If that does not work for you, call/email central office in Colorado Springs they will get you one. To the best of my knowledge even the private facilities are now under the same menu.

nancyginnm
03-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the info. My guy asked me to get it from the DOC website and send it to him. He's on a health kick lately.

seansbabyluv
03-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Nancy: For all DOC facilities the 6 week cycle plan is the same. The variables are-special diets, i.e. diabetic and allergy, then you also have religious, i.e. Kosher, and vegan. Vegetarian is considered taking the sub for the day. You can get this by request to the facility kitchen secretary and or there is always a Captain in charge over the kitchen who is usually on site during the day shift. If that does not work for you, call/email central office in Colorado Springs they will get you one. To the best of my knowledge even the private facilities are now under the same menu.

At the risk of pouncing in your litter box, could you maybe explain the abbreviations when you post? I can't speak for everyone, but since I've never been incarcerated, I would not know if "sub" means sub sandwich or substitution. You don't have to do most of them but sometimes when you post we don't know what you're talking about...and it will be awhile before I can ask my hubby. :) Even though he worked in the kitchen for six months all he ever talked about was how well his potatoes came out. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Oceanmoon
03-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the info. My guy asked me to get it from the DOC website and send it to him. He's on a health kick lately.

Here is one that I found. 24jf posted it. It is under one of her threads.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441749

Nanci9
03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
At the risk of pouncing in your litter box, could you maybe explain the abbreviations when you post? I can't speak for everyone, but since I've never been incarcerated, I would not know if "sub" means sub sandwich or substitution. You don't have to do most of them but sometimes when you post we don't know what you're talking about...and it will be awhile before I can ask my hubby. :) Even though he worked in the kitchen for six months all he ever talked about was how well his potatoes came out. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Why, actually I thought you knew everything. To the rest of our readers I will apologize. When I used the term "sub" I did in fact mean substitute. Substitutes are usually PBJ, egg salad, cheese etc...anything without meat.
As for your litter box comment: you have solidified in my mind how catty and petty you are. Sorry I can't and won't play. Personally I only run with the big dogs.

seansbabyluv
03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Why, actually I thought you knew everything. To the rest of our readers I will apologize. When I used the term "sub" I did in fact mean substitute. Substitutes are usually PBJ, egg salad, cheese etc...anything without meat.
As for your litter box comment: you have solidified in my mind how catty and petty you are. Sorry I can't and won't play. Personally I only run with the big dogs.

Spoken like someone who thinks being in prison is/was really cool. That kind of attitude will just end you up right back on the little blue bus. Apparently you didn't learn much while you were in there.

It's not a game and no one is playing. Maybe you're just a little surprised to find out how difficult it really is for the families on the outside. Your big talk is starting to remind me of the meth head snitch.

Nanci9
03-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I humbly apologize to the readers and participants of Cindy's Colorado forum. After receiving messages from those of you whom have known her for sometime. I do see that I have overstepped the ownership lines by posting here. The above comment is a real insult and one I can deal with. Just FYI I have never had a drug problem nor a drug charge and if any of you want the specifics I will gladly post them. I however feel that will not be necessary as your self appointed spokesperson can keep posting her opinions and this is not the place for a pissing match. Cindy: your comments are unwarranted and unfounded it is opinions with similar merit that write and endorse the laws which govern the prison system and leave it in such a cesspool. No matter what is said on a computer or face to face, stooping so low as to wish someone back behind that wire is the mark of an egotistical witch with most likely a variety of unresolved psychosis'.
Thank you again for judging me and providing me a chance to do the same. Run your movie Cindy the awards will be in time.

Her_Man
03-02-2010, 08:30 PM
How about we play nice and be civil?

trashisfree
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I think the Kosher diet is the best, though portions can be small and then you have to restrict what you order from canteen. I had the mexican hot sauce and garlic chilli sauce from canteen. I also made a good catchup based barbecue sauce and a mustard one too. I would have to scrounge up catchup and mustard anytime we got a meal that included them, since you can't get them off canteen.

Every meal I would figure out which of my 4 sauces would make this meal suck the least.

A good way to boost the quality your food intake, is trade that crappy instant keefe coffee for fruit. I would trade a spork full of coffee for a piece of fruit. Some inmates would just give me their fruit. So lunch sucked, eat 2 oranges all good. Yeah the sobs would come through occasionally and take my fruit. Whatever.

Colorado friend
04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
the co's would take your fruit or the other inmates?

snowblind
04-14-2010, 06:36 PM
The co's do not take the food away from the inmates unless the inmates are trying to "sneak" it back to their cells which is prohibited. All inmates get the same food. One inmate did not get an orange and the next one not. I do believe that an inmate can not decide to change their diet on a whim. They have to have a note from a doctor - say if they are allergic to onions. Overall the food is good. It can differ a bit from prison to prison. And, if the inmates who are cooking in the kitchen are given a little more free rein then it can sometimes be more flavorfull. All the bread is home-made as well as the cookies. How many of you cook bread from scratch? How many of you cook from scratch at all? We are all busy and sometimes processed food is easier to put together, but in Colorado prisons its made from scratch for the most part. Some prisons get fresh veggies from the western slope such as corn, watermelon, peaches, etc. Don't let them talk you into thinking all the food is terrible because for the most part it isn't.

seansbabyluv
04-14-2010, 09:13 PM
The co's do not take the food away from the inmates unless the inmates are trying to "sneak" it back to their cells which is prohibited. All inmates get the same food. One inmate did not get an orange and the next one not. I do believe that an inmate can not decide to change their diet on a whim. They have to have a note from a doctor - say if they are allergic to onions. Overall the food is good. It can differ a bit from prison to prison. And, if the inmates who are cooking in the kitchen are given a little more free rein then it can sometimes be more flavorfull. All the bread is home-made as well as the cookies. How many of you cook bread from scratch? How many of you cook from scratch at all? We are all busy and sometimes processed food is easier to put together, but in Colorado prisons its made from scratch for the most part. Some prisons get fresh veggies from the western slope such as corn, watermelon, peaches, etc. Don't let them talk you into thinking all the food is terrible because for the most part it isn't.

Actually, when there is no sugar to put into the food when they're making it, it tastes terrible. My hubby knows the difference between good food and bad and since most of the time inmates are doing the cooking these days, if they can't cook, the food sucks.

Her_Man
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
LOL.... my wife wouldn't agree with you about the food being good either. Keep you alive yes. Taste good...I don't think so.

When my wife was in Brush, they brought the women their meals when there were in visiting over the lunch period. I can assure you that I never saw a meal I would have considered good, and never a meal that all items on the tray would have even been considered edible by me. Made the vending machine crap look like it came from a 5 star hotel.

Oceanmoon
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
When my husband was in he said the food sucked. When he was at Fremont they let them use spices and such, at crowley nope they could not even use salt and pepper there to cook.

24jf
04-16-2010, 06:46 AM
At Sterling many of the meals leave a lot to be desired from what I hear not only from my honey but his friends who have been released as well. Yes, they'll keep you alive but far from healthy and tasty!

seansbabyluv
04-16-2010, 08:26 PM
At Sterling many of the meals leave a lot to be desired from what I hear not only from my honey but his friends who have been released as well. Yes, they'll keep you alive but far from healthy and tasty!

Sean said the food is much better at Territorial, he said they have real rye bread and everything! If all of the other prisons were as nice as CTCF, they wouldn't have nearly as many problems!

saoirse1
04-16-2010, 11:39 PM
And if they would treat people like humn beings there would be less frustration and anger.

trashisfree
04-06-2011, 04:27 AM
As a foodie, the food in there was over all pretty horrible. Extremely bland. I normally had several different sauces, and I would bring which ever one would make the meal suck the least. Garlic chilli sauce, mexican hot sauce, homemade ketchup barbecue sauce or a mustard barbecue sauce.

The closest thing to real world food I ate was an asian style seafood soup I would make. 1 bag crushed peanuts, 1 package cleaned mackerel, 1 package ramen, garlic chilli sauce, soy sauce, oysters if I was going all out, (stolen from chow hall: carrots celery and or orange slices), maybe a bit of honey. As close to real world food as it gets. Prison Gourmet.

Fresh not canned fruits and vegetables: fruit, salad, carrots and celery. Once we got 1/2 fresh green beans 1/2 canned.

The best trick for boosting your food intake is keeping a bag of keefe instant coffee and trading a sporkful of coffee for fruit back at your cell. Sure the guards occasionally stole my extra fruit, but adding a significant amount of fruit to my diet sure helped, especially if you got a bad meal. After a while some inmates just started bringing me their fruit. $2 bag of coffee was worth like 50 pieces of fruit that way.

I remember one morning someone had put salt into the pancake batter. Almost had a food riot. Many of the inmates don't have anything to eat or very little of it back in their cell.

A couple other good things to know....
Hot lemonade + ibuprofen = prison theraflu
salt water (salt stolen from chow hall) = prison mouth wash
seriously take care of your teeth, their dental care is iffy at best.

They did finally change the dental policy in sterling a few years ago for inmates being allowed to go in an emergency, but it took a guard getting stabbed up bad for them to figure out that the old policy wasn't working.