View Full Version : Do Collect calls Operator always identifies "inmate"

goyal99
02-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Having never been on the receiving end of a COLLECT call coming from a County Jail, I was wondering what exactly the collect call Operator (or recording) says when someone on the receiving end picks up the phone??

Does the Operator ALWAYS indicates that the collect call is coming from Jail or from an inmate "john Doe"??

Do the words Inmate or Jail or Correctional facility are used at all before the collect call is accepted??

Thanks

Frankie68
02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I forgot what they say when their in county but in state the inmate will say their name and the operator will tell what facility they are at.

jellobean
02-26-2010, 01:45 PM
My fiance was at the Ulster County jail and I believe they said something similar to what they do at the prisons (can't really remember exactly). Something like "This is a collect call from an inmate at the Ulster County jail." Then which number to press to hear the cost, accept the call, block the call, etc.

Sindarla
02-26-2010, 03:43 PM
At Suffolk county jail, not only do they say that the call's coming from there, but each inmate must record a name message so you can know who is calling. (My husband put "I love you, I miss you, I canlt wait to see you" though since I'm the only 1 he calls. He'll call me Several times a day Just for me to hear his voice & then he calls me usually twice a week on top of that for a 15 minute call to talk.

goyal99
02-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks for your responses and info.

I was afraid something like that would happen when I collect call was received at home...I just hope my parents don't answer the phone while I'm in jail - they don't know anything about it yet...

Does it pay to sign up for a prepaid phone service for my 10-day stay?? I assume the same collect phone procedure is followed..

Regards

Sindarla
02-27-2010, 12:16 AM
I use Global Tel advance pay & that's prepay, but when my husband calls it Still says that it's an inmate from Suffolk county correctional facility & says his name (message). Some facilities have prepaid cards the inmate can buy in comissary. You won't be there that long so you won't be able to get too much from comissary. Still I'd bring money with me for comissary when you go in anyway. Also when my husband knew he was going in he wore extra underwear & socks - 3 of each. It'll be more difficult to layer up on bras & panties but maybe you can wear a double layer of thermals or sweats in the allowed colors. It's a little uncomfortable but that way you can have extra changes of underwear or socks or clothing.