View Full Version : Tragedy in Georgia Diagnostic Classification prison (death row)

troysgl
02-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Brian Owens, Commissioner
Georgia Department of Corrections
2 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, SE
Twin Towers-East, Room 854
Atlanta , Georgia 30334

Dear Commissioner Owens:

As of January 1st, 2010...severe punitive measures have been initiated for Death Row in Jackson, Georgia.

The Department of Corrections is charged with the very important task of working to protect and serve the citizens of Georgia. I have no doubt of the complexity of this feat. However, I come to you today with grave concerns about the current conditions at Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson.

As of January 1, 2010, the prison has eliminated all contact visits between death row inmates and their families and clergy. In addition, the men on Death Row are under twenty-three hour lock down; allowing only one hour for phone calls, showers, and time in the yard. Furthermore, the men are subjected to strip searches, including cavity searches after coming off the block. It has also come to the publicís attention that some men have been stripped naked and forced to remain in their cells without adequate bedding or heat. The unusual cold snap that has swept the state deepens the severity and inhumanity of these current practices. I understand that the recent deaths of Timothy Pruitt and Leeland Mark Braley led to the Departmentís implementation of such measures designed to restrict movement in a way that would facilitate a safer environment, but I believe these actions are quite harmful now and in the future. The families and friends of those who have visitation privileges adhere to all prison policies. Individuals who do not comply with the rules should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Loved ones should not be at the receiving end of any internal problems within the prison. The elimination of contact visits is the latest and most severe of what has been a systematic depletion of privileges that create a balance for those on death row.

Abolishing contact visits creates problems across the board. It compromises privileged conversations with clergy and pastors and private visits with family and loves ones which nurture family values, personal responsibility, and a safe environment for all. I am deeply troubled that as a result of the implementation of non-contact visits and the uncomfortable conditions for those visiting their loved ones; some of the men have asked their family members not to visit. Visitation and nurturing relationships with family, friends, clergy and other support people are essential not only to the humanity of those in prison but also in preserving and promoting prison safety. I fear that conditions will worsen if contact visits are not restored.

I appreciate your consideration of these concerns. I believe this is an urgent matter and I implore the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson to restore contact visits immediately and eliminate the use of inhumane and degrading practices in order to serve the interests of human rights and dignity.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Sincerely,

Paris Evans

*As of January 1st, 2010...severe punitive measures have been initiated for Death Row in Jackson, Georgia.

*Contact Visits were taken away...

*Inmates are subjected to cavity searches coming and going...even though there are no contact visits.

*There have been 3 inmateís deaths since October. Two were reported to have been suicides, and one was pneumonia.

*The cells are very cold...often no heat.

*Inmates have been tear gassed in an enclosed space.

*A couple of them were stripped naked, with no bedding and placed in a "hole" with no heat, and fans put on them.

*Runaround or out time was reduced from 3 hours a day to 1 hour.

*The inmates are visibly depressed. The change in their attitudes is palpable.

** If you have a loved one on deathrow copy and paste and send to address above thank you Paris*****

moma k
02-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I dont have a DR inmate,,but it dosnt matter,,noone,,inmate or not should ever ,,,ever be cut off from family visits,,every time I think the GDOC HAS GONE TO FAR,,THEN THEY SUPRISE ME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AND THEY GO EVEN FARTHER,,,THIS IS ALL THANKS TO OWENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

troysgl
02-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Yes it is really bad and i worry about the inmates being deprived and depressed thanks for your reply it means alot.

Paris

secondtimer
02-28-2010, 11:59 AM
I do not have an inmate on DR. One would think that the inhumane treatment of people had been abolished years ago. This is sad and depressing and it shows that there are some people who would continue to treat other people worst than they would a dog. I can understand them wanting to have better control of movement and i can also understand non contact visit, here in CT depending on the facility all inmates have non contact visits, yes it really puts a damper on visits but we can at least see them and talk to them.

LORNA
02-28-2010, 10:19 PM
There are still visits, just non-contact. I do not have anyone on Death Row but I do not agree this is the way to go and will voice my opinion as well.

troysgl
03-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Thank you all for taking the time and expressing your opinion it greatly appreciated

Thanks Paris - Troysgl

wordsworth
03-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Troysgl, I also write Troy. What is latest info on restrictions? Can't find anything in media since 1/10. Who can we contact to expose(media) what's going on? Take care, Julie -- you can write me privately(e-mail) which I'm more likely to check.

Brian Owens, Commissioner

Georgia Department of Corrections
2 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, SE
Twin Towers-East, Room 854
Atlanta , Georgia 30334

Dear Commissioner Owens:

As of January 1st, 2010...severe punitive measures have been initiated for Death Row in Jackson, Georgia.

The Department of Corrections is charged with the very important task of working to protect and serve the citizens of Georgia. I have no doubt of the complexity of this feat. However, I come to you today with grave concerns about the current conditions at Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson.

As of January 1, 2010, the prison has eliminated all contact visits between death row inmates and their families and clergy. In addition, the men on Death Row are under twenty-three hour lock down; allowing only one hour for phone calls, showers, and time in the yard. Furthermore, the men are subjected to strip searches, including cavity searches after coming off the block. It has also come to the publicís attention that some men have been stripped naked and forced to remain in their cells without adequate bedding or heat. The unusual cold snap that has swept the state deepens the severity and inhumanity of these current practices. I understand that the recent deaths of Timothy Pruitt and Leeland Mark Braley led to the Departmentís implementation of such measures designed to restrict movement in a way that would facilitate a safer environment, but I believe these actions are quite harmful now and in the future. The families and friends of those who have visitation privileges adhere to all prison policies. Individuals who do not comply with the rules should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Loved ones should not be at the receiving end of any internal problems within the prison. The elimination of contact visits is the latest and most severe of what has been a systematic depletion of privileges that create a balance for those on death row.

Abolishing contact visits creates problems across the board. It compromises privileged conversations with clergy and pastors and private visits with family and loves ones which nurture family values, personal responsibility, and a safe environment for all. I am deeply troubled that as a result of the implementation of non-contact visits and the uncomfortable conditions for those visiting their loved ones; some of the men have asked their family members not to visit. Visitation and nurturing relationships with family, friends, clergy and other support people are essential not only to the humanity of those in prison but also in preserving and promoting prison safety. I fear that conditions will worsen if contact visits are not restored.

I appreciate your consideration of these concerns. I believe this is an urgent matter and I implore the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson to restore contact visits immediately and eliminate the use of inhumane and degrading practices in order to serve the interests of human rights and dignity.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Sincerely,

Paris Evans

*As of January 1st, 2010...severe punitive measures have been initiated for Death Row in Jackson, Georgia.

*Contact Visits were taken away...

*Inmates are subjected to cavity searches coming and going...even though there are no contact visits.

*There have been 3 inmateís deaths since October. Two were reported to have been suicides, and one was pneumonia.

*The cells are very cold...often no heat.

*Inmates have been tear gassed in an enclosed space.

*A couple of them were stripped naked, with no bedding and placed in a "hole" with no heat, and fans put on them.

*Runaround or out time was reduced from 3 hours a day to 1 hour.

*The inmates are visibly depressed. The change in their attitudes is palpable.

** If you have a loved one on deathrow copy and paste and send to address above thank you Paris*****