View Full Version : Urgent Question!

cassleblanc
02-14-2004, 12:14 PM
I wear disposable contacts ...
I just called the facility and listened to a recording saying that I could only bring one pair of clear contacts in, and the lady I talked to said there was no one there that could answer my question ... so ...
Does that mean I have to order the rest when I get there? Or do I need to go get a prescription for regular contacts? Because I only have one day left to do that ...

NatureJunkee
02-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Yikes! I don't know how to answer your question. Since you know where you are going, I wonder if you should post this in the forum for that state. You might get some more specific answer there. Also, I would at least have a backup pair of glasses in case you run into problems. Sorry this isn't more helpful. Hopefully someone will come along who can answer this better. Finally, I would keep calling the facility to see if you can speak with someone who can help. Bet of luck to you tomorrow. I will keep you in my prayers for an easy transition.

I wear disposable contacts ...
I just called the facility and listened to a recording saying that I could only bring one pair of clear contacts in, and the lady I talked to said there was no one there that could answer my question ... so ...
Does that mean I have to order the rest when I get there? Or do I need to go get a prescription for regular contacts? Because I only have one day left to do that ...

cassleblanc
02-14-2004, 12:25 PM
The only person I could talk to told me to call back monday and there would be someone there to answer my question ... and when I told her that was when I needed to turn myself in, she said to call before I go. I tried to explain that I need to know now so that I can take care of it ... but she didn't get it so I just said "fine" and hung up.
Perfect ... I now have my first enemy before I even get there!

NatureJunkee
02-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Bless your heart. I wear disposable contacts and don't have to change them every day. Since the prescription is the same, could you leave it with someone outside and if you needed them have them order a regular pair and have them shipped to you directly? I think that would work, unless you have the disposables that you have to throw away every day. I have nothing to base this on, but since you are allowed prescription medication, it would seem that they would allow you prescription disposable contacts, but I don't know. At this point, I guess you might better get a regular pair in case. Again, I am so sorry that you are stressing about this sort-of thing this close to having to go in. And--i bet you don't have an enemy in there! I think they get dozens of calls every day on logisitics questions. I bet they won't even put the name with the face.

cassleblanc
02-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks you guys ... I AM stressing!

I leave my contacts in for a couple months actually. So ... should I just go in with this pair and hope that I will be able to be sent new ones when I need? Should I go ahead and get glasses as a backup even though they give me headaches sometimes?

Or should I just go get a regular pair, which I hate because my eyes are sensitive, and that would probably be expensive? And buy glasses too?

UGH!

NatureJunkee
02-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks you guys ... I AM stressing!

I leave my contacts in for a couple months actually. So ... should I just go in with this pair and hope that I will be able to be sent new ones when I need? Should I go ahead and get glasses as a backup even though they give me headaches sometimes?

Or should I just go get a regular pair, which I hate because my eyes are sensitive, and that would probably be expensive? And buy glasses too?

UGH!

What I would do--as someone who also leaves her contacts in for a couple of months as well--is sleep without my contacts for the next couple of nights to give my eyes a good rest. Then, on the morning you report, put in a brand new pair. Take a back-up pair of glasses (which you will need anyway in case you ever lose a contact or get an eye infection). Find out the procedure on Monday for how to get the rest of the disposables sent in, if that is allowed. I am assuming you have a supply of them already. Have someone ready to mail them or drop them off at the facility if they are allowed. If they are not allowed, have someone ready to call in your prescription and have the regular contacts sent directly to you. How does that sound? I'm with you--i do not do well in the regular contacts, so I would do everything I can to try to make the other option work. Question: I wonder if you could get your eye doctor to write a letter saying that you need to wear the disposables because of your sensitive eyes? That might be helpful--just a thought and I know time is a premium at this point.

cassleblanc
02-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I think you are right. Which I'm sure on any other day I could come up with that solution ... but I'm not myself ... as you can imagine.

The simplest tasks are freaking me out LOL!

I did get my optometrist to write a letter saying that glasses give me headaches because I was afraid I wouldn't be allowed to wear contacts at all. But he was hesitant because he doesn't actually know me (a new doctor) so he doesn't know that to be true... so i don't know if I should bug him again ...

Thanks so much!

NatureJunkee
02-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Cassleblanc: You didn't ask for this, but I am going to send you special prayers for the next couple of days that you will get there and find the transition as easy as possible. I am sure this is an incredibly stressful time--but you will survive it--because you have to. Not having been in the situation, I don't really know what I am talking about, but my boyfriend told me that it gets better as soon as you can get in a routine. Plus, since you are self-reporting, I am assuming that you are going to a camp or something--which shouldn't be as bad (relatively--and I realize that's easy for me to say, since I don't have to go there!) ANYWAY--please take care of yourself and keep us posted on how you are doing. Do you have a loved-one that will be posting here while you are gone?

cassleblanc
02-14-2004, 04:30 PM
thank you so much!
i'm not sure if any of my loved ones will use this site while i'm in ... but i will surely tell them of it.
if they do ... do you think they should use my screenname or their own?
maybe cass's friend?

NatureJunkee
02-14-2004, 04:33 PM
I am probably going to get in trouble for not reading the forum rules before I post this :p, but I think it is against the rules to be posting under someone else's name. I would suggest that they register, and then do an introduction post where they can tell us that they are your friend and that they will be checking in to keep us updated on how you are doing and for support.