View Full Version : can someone tell me what a halfway house is exacty?

vanilla810
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
My boyfriend is awaiting trial at PHILADELPHIA FEDERAL DETENTION CENTER and has been there for about 2 weeks now. Friday he went to court and the judge desided to find a halfway house to have him await trial at. Instead of letting him bond out and go back here to mi. Mostly because of him breaking bond in jan(cuz of maryj I was mad about that) and the distance between pa and mich. That's what he told me aways. His mother said the fbi agent that calls her said a rehabilation center but my boyfriend said his laywer said its a half way house. Now he is waiting for them to place him. He has no clue and neither do I. Can someone tell me what is the differences and is going ther better than sitting in a fdc for months intill trial. Will he have more freedom? Have a cellphone in stead of having to call collect?

BLD
02-22-2010, 08:04 PM
My boyfriend is awaiting trial at PHILADELPHIA FEDERAL DETENTION CENTER and has been there for about 2 weeks now. Friday he went to court and the judge desided to find a halfway house to have him await trial at. Instead of letting him bond out and go back here to mi. Mostly because of him breaking bond in jan(cuz of maryj I was mad about that) and the distance between pa and mich. That's what he told me aways. His mother said the fbi agent that calls her said a rehabilation center but my boyfriend said his laywer said its a half way house. Now he is waiting for them to place him. He has no clue and neither do I. Can someone tell me what is the differences and is going ther better than sitting in a fdc for months intill trial. Will he have more freedom? Have a cellphone in stead of having to call collect?

A halfway house is a facility operated by private companies, non-profit corporations, or faith-based organizations that contracts with the Bureau of Prisons to house inmates who are in transition going into or out of the federal prison system. The stated purpose of the halfway house is to assist those who have been incarcerated with reintegration into the outside world. Many of these facilities also serve as "rehab" facilities for those who are undergoing treatment for various substance abuse problems. As such, you will find a blend of those who are at the halfway house instead of going to prison, those who are headed to trial and possible incarceration(like your boyfriend), and of course, those who are in the final stages of completing their federal sentence. You may also find that state inmates are housed at the facility.

Unfortunately, your boyfriend will still be in federal custody and thus be subject to most of the conditions and policies he has faced while in federal detention. The main difference is that there are no fences or cells. These facilities are typically an open environment with controlled access. The official policy will be no cell phones, but it seemed like there were quite a few floating around. Instead, there are pay phones that require a pre-paid phone card to make outgoing calls.

In my opinion, the halfway house is a better alternative to sitting in a federal detention facility. You just have to be extra careful not to violate and rules or regulations (or at least not to get caught). The food is better and everyone is typically more relaxed that in an institution. Others may have other ideas and information to share, but hopefully this helps.