View Full Version : Need To Block An Inmate From Sending Mail

PenPal_Advocate
02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi, I need to know how to go about blocking a Federal Inmate from sending mail to X address(s). After braking off communications in what I thought was a final and friendly manner I continued to be "pinged" by this guy via my cell phone. I found out how to eliminate this, but I have not found out how to stop any further USPS contact.

Can anyone tell me what steps need to be taken to stop an inmate from mailing me?

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help.

Lesliezack
02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi, I need to know how to go about blocking a Federal Inmate from sending mail to X address(s). After braking off communications in what I thought was a final and friendly manner I continued to be "pinged" by this guy via my cell phone. I found out how to eliminate this, but I have not found out how to stop any further USPS contact.

Can anyone tell me what steps need to be taken to stop an inmate from mailing me?

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help.
Write the prison...or just write return to sender on the mail.
all Federal Prisons have an email on the BOP site...

IMO I would return to sender first...then if he doesn't get the hint....email prison

NC_girl
02-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Write him a letter and tell him that you will report him to the prison if he contacts you again. He will leave you alone then, provided he has a brain in his head.

greyghost
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
The BOP will not do anything to stop his mail (snail mail). It would be illegal for them to withhold his mail. The only thing that you can do is write him and tell him to stop and then return to sender anything that he sends you. That is your only option. You can contact the prison and ask that someone inform him that you no longer wish to receive mail from him, but they are under no obligation to do anything.

I'm sure that this is not the answer that you are looking for, but it is the only option that you have. Simply reject his mail.

Best of luck to you.
GG

Loblolly
02-18-2010, 03:07 PM
I would like to add that if he has done anything illegal through the mail, then the prison can get involved as well as the post office. For example, if he says that if you don't send him money, he will write to your employer and report you for writing him letters on company time. If his mail to you is in any way intimidating, then something can be done about that.

However, I do agree with those who say his letter should be refused for as long as it takes. If his letters don't come back to him unopened, then he will continue to do his thing. If the letters ALL come back to him unopened then surely he has the sense to realize his efforts are in vain. BUT, the prison opens mail going both ways, so there is no way for him to know that you did not read the mail and he will continue. Surely someone has the authority to clip this lad's wings!

Eldora76
02-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Call and speak with the warden of his facility. They can stop him from sending out the mail. They stopped my ex husband from bothering us when he was doing fed time.

PenPal_Advocate
02-18-2010, 03:22 PM
The case worker that I spoke to about the phone problem asked me if I wanted them to put the fear of God in him and I said, 'No'. I just wanted this to end without any drama.

I will write to the warden and ask for them to do something about the mail. I will continue to send anything he mails me back RTS.

Thank you one and all. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

greyghost
02-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Putting the 'fear of God in him' is an effective tactic. However, eventhough some of written of examples where the warden has intervened and stopped the mail, that is something that the warden chose to do themselves and is an example of when a staff member has exceeding their legal authority. It does happen, but it's technically not legal, not acceptable. I know this, because I've had to deal with this very issue from the legal side of things. So if your lucky enough to get a staff member to stop his mail - good for you - but that staff member is putting themselves in an area where they do not have the authority to go/act. Even in cases where an inmate has been court ordered to not contact someone, the BOP could not stop his mail. The outside family member had to go to court to have action taken against the inmate.

So, the best course of action is to tell the inmate to leave you alone and that you will no longer accept any of his mail. Return all of his mail to him and CLEARLY mark the outside of the envelope "REFUSED" or something like that. I would also have his case manager/counselor pull the inmate aside and tell him to leave you alone.

GG

iluvcoffee
02-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Just throwing this out there {{THROW THE LETTER AWAY AS YOU WOULD JUNK MAIL}} simple solution to all minor/major mail annoyances. Just sayin...

guitarman
02-22-2010, 08:31 AM
I certainly agree that the REFUSED or RETURN TO SENDER is the best way to go.
If he get mail back unopened he will soon get the picture-Even if the BOP opens it when it is returned-He will be able to look at the envelope or package and see what you did-
This is best idea-

Zelda50
02-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I agree with iluv coffee - Just toss the mail. Any response to him would just encourage him to try to write again. Some guys get pleasure even from a negative response. Throw it away as if it were junk mail and IGNORE him. He'll get tired of wasting his stamps.