View Full Version : Price Daniel Unit TX Prison on 72 Hour Quarantine as of Today

britecloud
02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Hey, all-

I just talked to Michael and he told me that as of this morning they are on 72 hour quarentine due to Gastrointestinal Illness at the unit. He doesnt know yet if it will affect visitation this weekend- which I HOPE IT DOESNT cause I was going!!!!

I am going to call the unit Friday to find out if there will be visitation and I will post the update here.

take care, chicas... :cool:

deerwoman
02-11-2010, 09:21 AM
good morning,

I received a letter from my son, and he did mention that they were lot of people getting sick. I hope they get medical attention. He said he was okay but I'm worried now.
Thanks for the info and keep us updated.
have a good day

babygirl254
02-11-2010, 04:32 PM
omg i hope everyones loved ones are okay i havent heard from my fiance kinda worried now hope he is okay also:(

GoodBI_girl
02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
omg i hope everyones loved ones are okay i havent heard from my fiance kinda worried now hope he is okay also:(

I hope so too, I worry about the precautions thay take if everyone is sick all the time. :( Me too!

britecloud
02-15-2010, 08:20 AM
I found out last night that the Quarantine has been extended through Thursday February 18th.

If you are going to visit this weekend, MAKE SURE YOU CALL FIRST!!

babygirl254
02-15-2010, 09:05 AM
so will the mail be delayed also cause i havent recived any mail from my fiance?? gosh this is crazy i really hope everyone is okay!

britecloud
02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
mail might be slowed down since theyre essentially on lockdown- everything now has to be brought to them by staff. They also cannot go to commisary, so if your loved one is out of stamps theyre not going to be able to send stuff out.

GoodBI_girl
02-17-2010, 02:58 AM
mail might be slowed down since theyre essentially on lockdown- everything now has to be brought to them by staff. They also cannot go to commisary, so if your loved one is out of stamps theyre not going to be able to send stuff out.

Thank you ma'm, I hope he got enough stamps last time to hold him. I don't want another 3 week wait. :( Are they on those Johnny sacks again also?

britecloud
02-17-2010, 05:55 AM
unfortunately, yes. Michael hates them, he's been living off what he has in his locker.

deerwoman
02-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Good afternoon to all,

I hope they hurry up and get rid of that thing. I've got to hurry up and send more money. Gee what am I talking about, they can't even go to commissary. I hope he has enough in his locker. Thanks for keeping us updated on the unit. Since I've been there just once and won't be able to go until May, I appreciate every little tidbit.

GoodBI_girl
02-18-2010, 03:03 AM
unfortunately, yes. Michael hates them, he's been living off what he has in his locker.

This is so ridiculous, how are they supposed to maintain their health if they can't get proper food? Rhetorical, but what a mess.I suppose we aren't permitted to send food either? So it's the locker or starvation til ????? I so hope he gets parole, either the lack of food or the heat of summer will cause his demish.

In LA a radio station is constantly speaking about the "great Texas prisons, they save so much money per inmate, etc". I have seen now first hand they way they do it. No food or proper living conditions!:mad: I really want to give them a look into this mess.

Thank you again for the update, I am so far away I feel powerless to do much but pray and wait.

hades
02-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I havent heard from mine since the 11th of jan. I million things go thru my mind when i dnt hear from him he doesnt write much but i do get sumthin once a month. . Thankz for the update hope this clears up soon n they r all ok

britecloud
02-18-2010, 08:38 PM
I talked to michael tonite, and his dorm is off quarantine, but another dorm went on today. it's just a mess.

Ginger, nutrition is not the best, but we try and maintain by him purchasing vitamins in commisary, along with things like tuna, canned oranges, beans, etc. I send about 75 bucks a month, and his family sends another 50 so that he can supplement what he gets in the chow hall. it sucks, but unfortunately its the way it is so we just do the best we can with it.

yes, Texas runs their prisons cheap, but only because our men dont get even 1/4 of what inmates in other states do. i mean, shit, until last summer, they couldnt even call home collect! it burns me up when I hear uneducated idiots spouting off about the "fabulous health care", color televisions in their cells, "air conditioned comfort" and life of leisure for inmates they supposedly pay for with their tax dollars. too bad they cant spend a week like our men do.

GoodBI_girl
02-19-2010, 04:31 PM
I talked to michael tonite, and his dorm is off quarantine, but another dorm went on today. it's just a mess.

Ginger, nutrition is not the best, but we try and maintain by him purchasing vitamins in commisary, along with things like tuna, canned oranges, beans, etc. I send about 75 bucks a month, and his family sends another 50 so that he can supplement what he gets in the chow hall. it sucks, but unfortunately its the way it is so we just do the best we can with it.

yes, Texas runs their prisons cheap, but only because our men dont get even 1/4 of what inmates in other states do. i mean, shit, until last summer, they couldnt even call home collect! it burns me up when I hear uneducated idiots spouting off about the "fabulous health care", color televisions in their cells, "air conditioned comfort" and life of leisure for inmates they supposedly pay for with their tax dollars. too bad they cant spend a week like our men do.

I was waiting for a letter(per usual) and just read it and wished I hadn't, I truly believe he has broken with reality.

About the CA prisons, they have organic cooking classes and yoga for relaxation! Our loved ones eat garbage Rachel Ray wouldn't feed her dog( she has a new organic pet line). I may move back to Texas just to complain and vote against whomever is doing this!:angry:

britecloud
02-20-2010, 06:55 AM
I may move back to Texas just to complain and vote against whomever is doing this!:angry:

the problem is- most of the people in texas support the way things are. Perry is wwwwayyyyy ahead in the polls- and his administration doesnt even try to hide the fact that they are corrupt SOBs.

but youre welcome to move back... anyhow- come to Austin- I need a rideshare :D

GoodBI_girl
02-20-2010, 11:54 PM
the problem is- most of the people in texas support the way things are. Perry is wwwwayyyyy ahead in the polls- and his administration doesnt even try to hide the fact that they are corrupt SOBs.

but youre welcome to move back... anyhow- come to Austin- I need a rideshare :D
Funny girl, I'm a Piney Woods girl myself, Austin is nice though.:)

Well, we have "The Terminator" for Gov and he is the most unfunny joke going.

britecloud
02-21-2010, 04:15 PM
ya, ive heard cali is in bad shape. must be all that yoga in the prisons :-p

GoodBI_girl
02-21-2010, 05:10 PM
ya, ive heard cali is in bad shape. must be all that yoga in the prisons :-p

Believe me, it's worse.

deerwoman
02-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Is the unit still under quarantine? Just wondering.
Everybody have a good day.

britecloud
02-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Michael's dorm is off, but some others are still on. I called today to try once again to arrange a special visit and I was warned most adamantly that I need to call back Friday to verify that visits will be on for him.

deerwoman
02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
britecloud, how far are you from price unit?
Seem like they ought to clean the whole place with Lysol or something to get rid of the bug.

GoodBI_girl
02-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Seem like they ought to clean the whole place with Lysol or something to get rid of the bug.

From what I see it's a small unit? Can't they disinfect the place, culture everyone, isolate the "guilty" parties til it's contained? Hospital do this all the time and still we have nosocomial infections so it's not that easy but people are at risk here. I was reading a study conducted in 2002 about the medical health of Texas inmates, not good. They don't need to be put at further risk but oppo:angry:rtunistic "bugs".

Off my Soap Box(yes, folks wash your hands:)).

britecloud
02-22-2010, 08:08 PM

I'm 312 miles according to mapquest- but it's all small roads to get there- mostly 2 lane-between Austin and Abilene anyway- so it takes me about 6 hours to get there. I think the fact that its a trip through alot of nothing that makes it seem longer than it is, lol. I usually stop in Brownwood to see his mom and grandparents on the way back, too- so that adds time.

As far as the sanitation measures being taken- they had a nurse come in and talk to them about washing their hands throughout the day. However, the dorm Michael was in wasn't allowed to shower for 3 days because of a staff shortage. Makes sense, huh? lol.

Healthcare at TDCJ is a joke. Two years back Michael had pneumonia and when he first put in to see medical- which took a day and a half, the nurse gave him two tylenol and sent him back to his cell. The next day, he puts in to go again- and of course it takes another day and a half, and he's finally given antibiotics. By this time he was really sick- wheezing and panting because it was let go so long- oh and he paid $5 out of his commisary account each time he went. So while people on the outside think our guys have free primo medical care, in reality the people that TDCJ contracts to provide it just don't give a rat's ass and provide the bare minimum. Good thing this bug going around is only the stomach flu and not something more serious like typhus or measles or the like- what would they do then?

babygirl254
02-23-2010, 09:29 AM
im so hear to vent with u ladies this is so ridiculous and nerve wrecking im furious all we can do is pray for the best and hope to hear from are love ones soon!

GoodBI_girl
02-24-2010, 06:46 PM
im so hear to vent with u ladies this is so ridiculous and nerve wrecking im furious all we can do is pray for the best and hope to hear from are love ones soon!
It is very frustrating to get any sort of information about the problems they are having there, all with no resolution in sight! Some of us are from out of state, and getting this time fr:blah:ame correct is maddening. I work nights and it seems I'm always off the mark as when to call the main office.

britecloud
02-25-2010, 03:41 AM
Ginger, the main office takes calls between 8-430 central time, monday thru friday. they're closed for any federal holidays, as well. on the weekends, you can ask for the duty warden, but he's more for visitation issues- anything bigger he's gonna tell u to call back on monday.

until last june i lived in ny, so i know exactly how you feel. it's very hard being far away and trying to deal with tdcj...but i can tell you it isnt much easier being instate, either! they are maddening!!!

GoodBI_girl
02-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Ginger, the main office takes calls between 8-430 central time, monday thru friday. they're closed for any federal holidays, as well. on the weekends, you can ask for the duty warden, but he's more for visitation issues- anything bigger he's gonna tell u to call back on monday.

until last june i lived in ny, so i know exactly how you feel. it's very hard being far away and trying to deal with tdcj...but i can tell you it isnt much easier being instate, either! they are maddening!!!

Thanks BriteCloud, one of the Daniel's Dolls comes through again.;)

babygirl254
02-25-2010, 02:37 PM
It is very frustrating to get any sort of information about the problems they are having there, all with no resolution in sight! Some of us are from out of state, and getting this time fr:blah:ame correct is maddening. I work nights and it seems I'm always off the mark as when to call the main office.

hey gingertrail i know what u mean i live in florida and my fiance is at the daniel unit it's very fustrating being so far away from are love ones! i pray things get better soon!

GoodBI_girl
02-25-2010, 04:00 PM
hey gingertrail i know what u mean i live in florida and my fiance is at the daniel unit it's very fustrating being so far away from are love ones! i pray things get better soon!

Just got the bad news about parole, she was sweet though. Try again in May.....of 2011!:eek:

britecloud
02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Just got the bad news about parole, she was sweet though. Try again in May.....of 2011!:eek:

think of it this way- they usually pull their files for review 6 months in advance..so youre really looking at November of this year :D

deerwoman
02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Britecloud,
Thanks for all the info that you pass along. I used to get 2 or 3 letters a week from my son but I don't receive may be 1 a week, but I think he is busy with his classes.
Did they do away with the quarantine now? I hope so.
If I had a phone at the house he would probably call but I just have a cell phone.
All you other ladies I know it's tough being so far away but hang in there, one of these days all of us will have our loved ones home.
Have a good day.

GoodBI_girl
02-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Britecloud,
Thanks for all the info that you pass along. I used to get 2 or 3 letters a week from my son but I don't receive may be 1 a week, but I think he is busy with his classes.
Did they do away with the quarantine now? I hope so.
If I had a phone at the house he would probably call but I just have a cell phone.
All you other ladies I know it's tough being so far away but hang in there, one of these days all of us will have our loved ones home.
Have a good day.

I was worried and wrote that in my last letter, well it must have gotten crossed in the mailbecause this latest one contained answers. I wish the phones were better too. Is it really 5 minutes every 90 days? I read that somewhere.

DeerWoman, I hope your son is doing well there. safekeeping or not it's still prison, and I hope they get a handle on this disease angle soon. We are just into flu season now.

deerwoman
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I was worried and wrote that in my last letter, well it must have gotten crossed in the mailbecause this latest one contained answers. I wish the phones were better too. Is it really 5 minutes every 90 days? I read that somewhere.

DeerWoman, I hope your son is doing well there. safekeeping or not it's still prison, and I hope they get a handle on this disease angle soon. We are just into flu season now.

Are you serious, 5 minutes every 90 days? Wow that's not much. What can you say in 5 minutes? Just love you, miss you bye talk to you in 3 months, geez. I hope that's not true.

Last time I visited, I had 4 hours on Sat. and 4 hours on Sun. I had to cut the Sun. cause I had long drive home. Actually, I didn't know where I was going and how long it was going to take me to get there and back. But now I know that I can spend 4 hours with him on Sun. and get back to the house before 10 pm. Still it's 7 1/2 hours. He wrote and told his 7 year old daughter, if she misses him a lot just stand in front of the mirror and look because he will be looking right back at her since he is in her heart. I told her the same thing because she looks just like him, that she will see his face looking back at her. The 2 year old doesn't remember him but we show pictures of him and tell her that's Daddy.
Have a nice day.

britecloud
02-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Ginger, the 5 minutes every 90 days was the old rule before they put the phones in. Now, so long as you have a landline, you can talk for 240 minutes a month. I have a super cheap, local call only, no frills land lines just for his calls thru verizon that runs me about 20 bucks a month.

Also, just a heads up, the actual warden is on duty for visitation this weekend. So, I cant remember who it was that had trouble reaching him, but try this weekend! he's there from 8-5 tomorrow.

I was there today and Michael said there's only a couple pods still on quarantine. We had a really good visit- I am eligible for specials, but I could only do the 4 hours today cause I had to get back for my son.

yall have a good weekend.

GoodBI_girl
02-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Ginger, the 5 minutes every 90 days was the old rule before they put the phones in. Now, so long as you have a landline, you can talk for 240 minutes a month. I have a super cheap, local call only, no frills land lines just for his calls thru verizon that runs me about 20 bucks a month.

Also, just a heads up, the actual warden is on duty for visitation this weekend. So, I cant remember who it was that had trouble reaching him, but try this weekend! he's there from 8-5 tomorrow.

I was there today and Michael said there's only a couple pods still on quarantine. We had a really good visit- I am eligible for specials, but I could only do the 4 hours today cause I had to get back for my son.

yall have a good weekend.

I am sooooooooooooooo behind on everything, I just started getting letters. Thanks for the updates, and ya'll have a good weekend too.

GoodBI_girl
02-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Are you serious, 5 minutes every 90 days? Wow that's not much. What can you say in 5 minutes? Just love you, miss you bye talk to you in 3 months, geez. I hope that's not true.

Last time I visited, I had 4 hours on Sat. and 4 hours on Sun. I had to cut the Sun. cause I had long drive home. Actually, I didn't know where I was going and how long it was going to take me to get there and back. But now I know that I can spend 4 hours with him on Sun. and get back to the house before 10 pm. Still it's 7 1/2 hours. He wrote and told his 7 year old daughter, if she misses him a lot just stand in front of the mirror and look because he will be looking right back at her since he is in her heart. I told her the same thing because she looks just like him, that she will see his face looking back at her. The 2 year old doesn't remember him but we show pictures of him and tell her that's Daddy.
Have a nice day.

I don't know if you are aware of this product, it's for deployed mommas and daddies. They take a picture of your loved one and make it into a doll the kids can carry about and sleep with. I love the idea, it's not inexpensive about 40 dllrs but if you have have money it would be great to do.

They have scholarships for people that are deployed and can't afford it but it would be nice if a mission for prisoners kids did something similar, right? You know how you can have photos printed on fabric? Have that done, make it a full length shot, cut it and stuff it!:idea:

Ooh, I feel a project coming on! I'm going to see if anyone is doing it locally first.

deerwoman
03-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey that's a good idea, you could go into your own business. There's also a good business of running vans or little bus to the units for people needing rides. Just a thought. Do you know if they did away with the quarantine now? I hope so.
Have a nice day.

GoodBI_girl
03-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey that's a good idea, you could go into your own business. There's also a good business of running vans or little bus to the units for people needing rides. Just a thought. Do you know if they did away with the quarantine now? I hope so.
Have a nice day.
I may look into it, I have a serger and sewing machine and lots of organic batting.

:thumbsup: