View Full Version : Notary ? Are inmates able to get documents notarized?

YulyDGonzalez
01-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Good afternoon :) I need to apply to get a passport for my child but when I called US dept of state ,they told me my husband (currently @ WALTON WORK CAMP), needs to fill out a form and get it notarized :idea: is that possible? When I asked him, he told me that the Law Library was on the other building, that he didn't know if he could go or what to do. Have anyone of you has sented a letter to get it notarized :confused: Please let me know.
Thanks !
Have a Great Day
XOXO

timsbabygirl
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
I have sent several things to my husband at several different camps that had to be notarized. He will most likely just need to put in a request to see a notary, and it should not be a problem. I think they are all supposed to have access to the law library as well. He could just put in a request to go to the law library. Either way, they will get him to a notary.

ben's girl
01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
I've also rec'd notarized documents from Ben without any problems. Once he gets the paperwork from you he can inquire as to how to do this. I'm sure some of the guys will know how as well.

Fencie
01-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Sometimes it's the librarian, sometimes it's the mailroom, and there's usually a backup person (an officer or classification staff) because they are required to have somebody available to do this. Technically a classification officer can do it (it's in one of the statutes) even if not a notary, but there would be no seal and most places requiring a notarization are going to go freaky if they don't get the seal. Yes, send an inmate request and either he'll be sent to the notary or the notary will come to him.

YulyDGonzalez
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Thank you Ladies. I appreciated it ! ☺ I'm going to tell him to put the request.
Have a Great Weekend !
Yuly

FoRhIm2013
02-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Last year I got my son a passport with out my ex husband notarizing anything. I fill out another form explaining why my ex husband could not fill and notarize the paper and had that form notarize. I got his passport with no issues. Hope this help.

YulyDGonzalez
02-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Well, my husband finally sented me the papers notarized. It took a long time but @ least he did it. Thanks !

lin787
02-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Im trying to learn about the notary laws.

Thank you fencie for helping me understand about no seal. If I have it right.....a prison officer can sign it and he is saying he saw that person sign his name, but if it is a commissioned notary, then it would have had to have the seal/stamp? one or both????

Fencie
02-27-2010, 05:04 AM
Yes, according to statutes. Problem is, not everybody knows this. They expect to see a seal. And officers may not be willing to sign if this is all new to them, but it's right there in the law saying that they can. It's a poor substitute for a notary, but the purpose of a notarization is (1) to confirm the signer's identity, and generally (2) witness the signer acknowledging or swearing to the validity of whatever it is he/she is signing. Prison notaries accept the prison ID as reasonable evidence of identity, so a C.O. could too. A side issue I've been having is prison notaries refusing to do so for whatever flimsy reason. Somewhere it used to say that notaries had a duty to perform the service upon request (within reason), but now I can't find that in writing anymore. (If anyone knows where that's codified, let me know.) Too many prison notaries are saying No without valid reasons. What is true dollar to donuts is that there are more notaries out there than is obvious. They just don't tell anyone because they don't want to do it. It doesn't help that Florida recently changed the law so notaries are supposed to log all their notarizations, meaning filling out more paperwork and getting a separate signature or even fingerprint or whatever every time a notarization is done. A royal pain. I'll bet most prison notaries don't do it and who could blame them.

lin787
02-27-2010, 04:37 PM
I was a notary years ago in Ohio. The legal fee was $2.00. A notary signs a paper saying they swear they saw that person sign it, then commissoned date, name. It quickly became a nightmare. Argumentive people telling me how to do my job, wanted to pay me extra money to notarize a paper. I never did it again.

Im still confussed about fl notary law and code. There is a notary law book for notaries to follow, but I havent found it. I dont want to buy it, I just want to read it. My bank would not accept the prison POA. lol

WorkerB
02-27-2010, 05:44 PM
He needs to send in a request letting them know he has a document to be notarized and they will put him on notary call out

Good afternoon :) I need to apply to get a passport for my child but when I called US dept of state ,they told me my husband (currently @ WALTON WORK CAMP), needs to fill out a form and get it notarized :idea: is that possible? When I asked him, he told me that the Law Library was on the other building, that he didn't know if he could go or what to do. Have anyone of you has sented a letter to get it notarized :confused: Please let me know.
Thanks !
Have a Great Day
XOXO

Fencie
02-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Florida Statutes, Chapter 117
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0117/ch0117.htm

lin787
02-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Thank you Fencie.....Im surprised about some of the laws for Florida. I see its $10 now. ack!

Fencie
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Most banks will do it for free if you have an account. There are lots of notaries if you ask among your friends (can't be a close relative). Heck, I was standing in line behind a couple at the post office who were crushed to learn they had no notary, so I did the doc for them right on the hood of my truck, and didn't charge a dime. :) Pay it forward ...