View Full Version : How do you keep peeled apples from turning brown for childrens lunches?

NoOne1994
01-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Anyone? I've been peeling them in the morning for my child, who is too young to cut her own. Everyday she brings them back saying they're brown and refuses to eat them even though I told her they taste the same and they're safe.

I've tried zip lock bags and tupperwear containers.

Any suggestions?

Jaimes Girl
01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I have been told that if you squeeze a little fresh lemon juice on them it stop them from browning. Ive never tried it, but I thought I would mention it.

Onedaycloser13
01-25-2010, 01:45 PM
I agree, lemon juice will stop them from turning brown.

J&D7
01-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Add a few drops of lemon or lime juice.. something to do with the acidity helps.

Also I think plastic wrap / bags are the best way to store them.

LOL they bet me to it!

sidewalker
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
yep. lemon.
I dont know if it would make them taste lemony, but then again, I would probably like that.

LeBeau
01-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Choose apples that are less prone to browning. A study found that Arangeh tend to brown the least. Granny Smith and Golden Smoty apples also showed minimal browning. Golden Delicious apples were in the middle, and Red Delicious apples browned the most (from WikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Cut-Apple-from-Turning-Brown) )

I found these tips, along with the lemon juice hint at RecipeTips (http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--1302/prevent-apples-from-turning-brown.asp) (the italics are my additions)

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) can also be added to water to create an anti-browning solution. (You'll find it with canning supplies or on the baking aisle)Dip the slices in lemon-lime soda.
Soak apples slices in apple juice until ready to use. The acidity in the apple juice prevents the apple slices from browning and doesn't change the flavor of the apple.

DisneyPrincess
01-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I just moved back in with my parents and sometimes my mom makes me a lunch :) She puts sliced apples in a small tupperware container, in water. I will eat the apples hours later and they still crunch! :)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070607115358AA1yPdl

forever friends
02-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I squeeze some orange juice on them in a bowl before I put them in a plastic tupperware dish.

loveinnyc118
02-06-2010, 03:38 PM
put cut apples in salted water for a few seconds . like 1/2 tsp salt in cold water. they don't turn brown at all and no flavor changed : )

JackieFlorida
02-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Sprinkle them with Ball's Fruit Fresh - it is ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

lreeves93
02-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Squirting any citrus or lemon or lime juice will stop it from browning.

DisneyPrincess
02-27-2010, 01:49 PM
so, NoOne, did you find out what works? try any methods? :)

lush3y3z
03-06-2010, 11:31 PM
yeah i use the water method too any citrus is perfect though aswell..

Urateup
04-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Put a little sugar on it. That's how I do it with apple pie and it works like a charm.

NewAttitude
10-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Yes, a little sugar or citrus juice will help. But take it from a restaraunt server with over 16 years experience. Try to find a plastic knife. The metal does something to fruits and vegetables that causes them to "brown" faster. Apples also tend to turn once they loose their temperature. I keep my all my fruit, except bananas, in the refidgerator. Try getting a lunch dag that will maintain the temperature. I got them for my kids and they love the way it keeps their fruit/veggies and beverages cold.

GoodBI_girl
10-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Sprinkle them with Ball's Fruit Fresh - it is ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
This is an easy way to do it, just sprinkle some on a plate or in a baggie and they're are go to go all day. Also works on avocados.