View Full Version : Do they always take your street time for PV's ?

mybabyinjail
01-20-2010, 06:13 PM
My man has just maxed out on his parole, for the second violation.
So he is going to do another year. The reason why he absconded the last two times from parole is because the rules are so hard. This was all before he met me, but now he is sorting it all out for us so we can get married and move on.

He tells me that even if you loose your job in PA that is a parole violation and you loose your street time??? is that always the case in PA? im told other states dont do this??

Why is this state criminal system ridiculously harsh? i thought they were trying to reduce overcrowding:rolleyes:

He would apply for early release after 4 months but we are thinking that he should just do the year and be done with it, he has been on parole for a long time because the street time doesn't count (apparently) when you violate, and then you have to start again. Im sorry that is just F***** up about the job violation, often its not thier fault, trying to do good and just sent back for that! the cynic in me says they make it so hard because they want them to fail. sorry its ridiculous... :angry:

His court letter said recommenced sentence 4-6 months, so we thought it would just go by that. But he got a really harsh judge due to another judge being off sick, who also gave a 19 year old 60-80 years for rape of a 12 year old (before my man got his sentence), ok im not excusing this... but murders get less, i dont know all the facts obviously, but going on what ive heard about this judge i think he was being harsh.

Im from the UK so probably not used to this harshness.

Leesamarie63
01-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Oh yes, the realities of the PA DOC. Yes, losing the street time is almost a given. Then add on the punative extra's for the violation. As you said, and this is not a commentary on anyone's situation, in PA you can get 2-5 years for DUI while a manslaughter charge can carry less. Then once you get a shot a re-parole, and then see the board, they will make you wait three months for an answer and hold you up to do some programs on top of it. Sorry a little cynical here, but we're now 11 weeks into waiting for an answer from parole and I'm a little edgy :)

mybabyinjail
01-21-2010, 03:37 AM
Its ridiculous. We are moving away from PA as soon as hes done with this sentence. His dad cant take the area any more, im not from there, im from the UK where murder often gets 15 years! but in comparison other states are not as ridiculous as this one.

He is going to stay in for a while, because we think if he gets early release after 4 months he has a whole 8 months were one violation could mean its all a waste, even loosing your job!! so instead apply for early release for September, so i can see him on my hoildays., then hes only got 4 months of parole left. So it might actually be good he was told to max out to just get it over and done with. The judge he usually gets likes him, and he will write to him to get early release in September.

How can they call this a justice system?? its not justice when it differs so widely, its just how some people at the top deem justice.

DUI, in the UK... well you loose your driving licence and get a fine.. thats it!

allison&chris
01-21-2010, 08:23 AM
we were going through the same issue. parole violation abscond...turned himself in, no new charges just violation for no parole supervision. when my guy got his greensheet after almost 4 months in, said he could be reviewed for parole in august 2010....his max date is oct 2010...we decided its best just to get it over and done with...the DOC is so frustrating....9 more months and DOC free!

bobble60
01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Well, I see a few things that raise questions here.
First, if a judge is controling this parole violation, then he was on county parole, not state parole. That means the DOC isn't involved at all.
Second, loss of job is a technical violation, so street time can't be taken back. A parolee only loses street time if he commits a new crime.
Third, in PA, you can't get a 60 to 80 sentence. The max must be at least twice the minimum.

Having said all that, Pennsylvania is proud to be the harshest state in the US. Sad but true ...

mybabyinjail
01-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Bobble,

Im pretty sure my man said that most of his friends have lost street time for minor parole violations? i,e loss of jobs, can you clear this up? Maybe they take the time back but they are not allowed for technical violations?

He said that he lost all his street time that he has done (he has been on parole for a while) due too absconding twice. And all his street time he has lost (and he has never got any new charges in that time).

Yes he is on county parole. It sounds like they can do what they want and take what they want, so doing as much time as poss maybe just the best way.

If his street time shouldnt have been taken back, can a lawyer sort it out?

mybabyinjail
01-23-2010, 10:03 AM
we were going through the same issue. parole violation abscond...turned himself in, no new charges just violation for no parole supervision. when my guy got his greensheet after almost 4 months in, said he could be reviewed for parole in august 2010....his max date is oct 2010...we decided its best just to get it over and done with...the DOC is so frustrating....9 more months and DOC free!

So your guy lost his street time for just a parole violation? abeit it not a minor one.

bobble60
01-31-2010, 10:00 AM
County parole is up to the discretion of the sentencing judge.

If he absconded, he gets no credit while he was "absent".

allison&chris
02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
So your guy lost his street time for just a parole violation? abeit it not a minor one.

if you are a technical parole vioaltor in the case of absconding (under no supervision) then you dont get credit for the time on the run....he was under no supervision for about 10 months, they did not add any time he just decided it was better in his case to max out his original sentence and not see parole, just come out DOC free. in total he will be there for 14 months.