View Full Version : Ex-felons associating with other ex-felons?

Monkey Bear
01-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Now that I am home and have 8 more months of probation, when I am done, am I allowed to associate with other felons that may be still on probation? Or, are we not allowed to associate with Felons off probation too, for the rest of our lives? At anytime, can our PO give us permission to associate with another felon if they are not family? Hope I have not confused anyone, because I am confused. :confused:

kwadis
01-16-2010, 05:12 AM
I don't know about Kentucky's stance on this issue, but I know from personal experience that in Michigan they have zero tolerance and depending on the P.O. I saw people get sent back for just talking to each other while waiting to report, I would say this, after spending a third of my life (16 years) and two prefixes I wasn't taking any chances with my freedom and my life.

Now that I am home and have 8 more months of probation, when I am done, am I allowed to associate with other felons that may be still on probation? Or, are we not allowed to associate with Felons off probation too, for the rest of our lives? At anytime, can our PO give us permission to associate with another felon if they are not family? Hope I have not confused anyone, because I am confused. :confused:

Drew's Mom
09-13-2010, 01:02 PM
The Feds don't mess around, when they say no contact with ex-felon they mean it and will enforce it. Wishing you lot of new good and wholesome friends, keep your nose clean so to speak and may your life be full of small and large joys. I look forward to the time my beloved son will come home in 2016.

Drew's Mom

Fresh Start7
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
The Feds can enforce that while you are on SR, but once you are "off paper" they don't keep you on surveillance or anything UNLESS they have a reason to believe that there is criminal activity afoot.;)

Still, you want to watch with whom you associate with.:idea:

My former "best friend" was the FBI's star witness against me.:rolleyes: His testimony was bought and paid for.:eek:

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

stuckinperg
09-13-2010, 03:05 PM
what about if your associating in a business capacity, say you run a business and one of your clients is an ex felon(and when I say business i mean a legitimate one, nothing shady)

Fresh Start7
09-13-2010, 06:41 PM
what about if your associating in a business capacity, say you run a business and one of your clients is an ex felon(and when I say business i mean a legitimate one, nothing shady)

I guess it depends upon one's PO. Maybe Federal PO has an answer here. I know that my relative opened up a restaurant with someone whom he met in the HWH and his PO was o.k. with it. They realize that you have to make a living, and the situation dictates I would imagine.

stuckinperg
09-14-2010, 02:05 AM
One concern would be that instead of being able to get PO approval for a specific felon(as it sounds like in that case), I would need blanket approval for any contact within the context of business.

OregonReform
09-21-2010, 11:49 AM
I will provide the most accurate response here based on my years of experience with the Feds.

In general no association with a convicted felon is the standard..... However under certain circumstances a Probation Officer has the authority to allow association in my last stint under Federal Probation I was allowed to not only associated with friends I met in Federal Prison who also got released..... I was also allowed to live with three other felons and work for a convicted felon.

If your PO approves anything outside of the norm.... get it in writing and supply a copy to your attorney to keep on file.

If you like this information/post/comment please click the "Thank" button!

N.A.C.P.F.
10-05-2010, 10:23 PM

I would advise you to stay far away from other felons. In fact, that is almost certainly one of the conditions of your probation/supervised release. A violation of any of those conditions could land you in prison.

OregonReform
10-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I would advise you to stay far away from other felons. In fact, that is almost certainly one of the conditions of your probation/supervised release. A violation of any of those conditions could land you in prison.

He asked if exceptions can be made and as I indicated above they very well can be.

patrick88
12-06-2011, 06:42 PM
This is an old thread but I know others are still wondering.

You can not associate with any felons while on paper. Once off you can do so BUT if one of your friends is on paper he/she can get violated.

As to employment you have to talk to your PO about it and inform him/her of your contacts. I went to college and was surrounded by ex-cons and my PO was ok with it as long as it wasnt a social thing. Just make sure you inform the PO and get it recorded/documented.