View Full Version : Writing a letter of recomendation before sentencing?

jaden
02-09-2004, 02:41 AM
Hi i was wondering if it would be any help to write a letter of recomendation to the judge before sentencing. it is for my brother. he pled guilty to distribution of meythamphetamine his 2nd offence. and he asked me and a bunch of other peolpe to write letters to the judge. do you think it will help any? He is expecting to be sentenced to about 20 years.
and one more question, does anyone know where to find a good example of this kind of letter, or template? thanks :)
jaden

chy
02-09-2004, 05:13 AM
I can tell you this I dont think a letter will hurt, my husband had the communuty to wright for him. he got a lot of letters and the judge did say he read them but i will send you one in your mail to show you how to wright them I hope it will help good luck

bunnyrun5
02-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Before my hubbie was sentenced family and friends wrote letters to the judge on his behalf. The judge barely looked at them and gave him 14yrs and 9 mos anyway. It does'nt hurt to try.

april30
02-09-2004, 11:07 AM
it helps! I collected about 19 letters from people in the community that knows my husband and the judge saw he was a good man that made a mistake. He wasnt too hard on him! Try it.. evertyhing will help!

waitingforscott
02-11-2004, 04:36 AM
I wish you better success with your letter than mine got. My thinking was "it can't hurt", and I guess it didn't, but it didn't help either. Who's to say his judge even got the letter. Good luck to you.
Kim

NCIA
02-16-2004, 11:39 AM
letter of recommendation will help. if you are his family, talk about how important it is to have him around and the maleffect that his imprisonment will bring

greyghost
02-17-2004, 07:21 AM
It never hurts. At the very worst - it changes nothing, at the very best - it can change things substancially. So I would suggest that you do it. You have nothing to loose. Keep in mind though, that the odds are stacked against you in that the letters will, more than likely, have little -if any- effect on the outcome.

Good luck

Greyghost

johns_4_ever
03-13-2004, 02:58 PM
This is to all thinking of writing on behalf of an offender.

John had 25 people write on his behalf his mother, his brother, his sister, his landlord, several friends, his foreman from his union, the union president, and many of his co workers whom had worked along side of John for 15 years. At his sentencing hearing the Judge stated that he read the letters but he felt that John had hoodwinked all of us in to believing him. So the letters did us no good. We all (family & friends) said that we believed John was innocent and asked that the Judge was leinant on him when he sentenced John. Those he worked with said he was a hard worker and would be missed. All signing that the were John's brother which they call each other in the Union. We all feel that if we would have left out the believing in him and just asked for leinacny and show support for the for him it would have helped more. The letters can't hurt. Most Judges have already started thinking about the sentence before they would even get to read them. But it will show the Judge that the offender has family and friends who love and care about him/her and may help to lower the sentence due to the fact that an offender with a loving family friend relationship will be less likely to reoffend if they are supported by others. In such as if someone is convicted of drugs alcohol, or domestic abuse, you could put down that when released you will help to find counseling for the offender drug treatment, anger management ect.... Just don't put down that you think he is innocent because the Judge or jury has already found him/her not to be. Even if the person is innocent. In the eyes of the court they are guilty. In your letters if you think the person is innocent you don't have to say he was guilty just avoid talking about it. Just ask for leininacy and show support.

sderrick
03-14-2004, 12:33 AM
I just wrote a letter to the judge and the district attorney last week to see if it would help in my boyfriends sentencing. He hasn't had a hearing yet, he is in county jail for motion to revoke probation. He was in a substance abuse felony punishment facility and then in a halfway house and only liked 25 days before coming home and someone brought in drugs and he used and they tested the whole house the same night he used. Anyway he may be headed to prison for using drugs and he is not even the one that brought the drugs in. So i just wrote and told them that he didn't need to be sent to prison, he needs drug, emotional, personal and grief counseling. I haven't heard anything yet, but who knows it might help. So write the letter. God Bless!

Ms Lana
03-14-2004, 12:38 AM
Definitely write the letter. I wrote one for Al, this was before we were together. I had been an alternate on his jury and totally disagreed with the verdict the jury came up with so I wrote letters to the DA, the Judge, his attorney, & to Al. This is how we met by the way. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make a difference when it came down to sentencing but it did make people react. The judge even spoke to the attorney about the situation, and felt as I did, but she had to do her job and sentence him according to the law.

Definitely write the letter, it can't hurt. Unfotunately I lost my letter when my computer crashed, but I just used a professional letter template from the computer. I wrote to the judge and copied the others on the letter. So the letter is now part of the trial and in his files.

Good luck I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Lana

NatureJunkee
03-14-2004, 08:10 AM
My advice would be to write the letter. My suggestion would be to get the point across without exaggerating. Judges see this every day, and I believe that they can tell when someone is sincerely being supportive, and when someone is embellishing too much. A concise, well written, unemotional letter that clearly sets out the reasons why it makes more sense to have your loved-one out working rather than incarcerated can make an impression on the judge--I just wouldn't go overboard.

Charlie's Mom
03-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Write, and speak, and have others do the same. It cant hurt, and may even help to remind the judge that you are a property owner, taxpayor, and registered voter. In Florida thats especially important, jurors come from the drivers liscense bureau, so few ae registered to vote!

Its the only time you can speak, choose your words carefully it becomes part of the transcript if needed for appeal.

SNJFLEMING4EVER
03-28-2004, 05:49 PM
I can tell you this I dont think a letter will hurt, my husband had the communuty to wright for him. he got a lot of letters and the judge did say he read them but i will send you one in your mail to show you how to wright them I hope it will help good luckI WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE AN EXAMPLE OF ONE SO I KIND OF HAVE AN IDEA WHAT TO WRITE THANK YOU JENNI

Aquemini
03-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Yes, it will help. I wrote a very intelligent letter for my boyfriend and the judge gave him Intensive probation for 3 years. He unfortunatly messed that up and went before the same judge who gave him 7 years.

Peace,

Aquemini

mmana420
01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Hello, my name is Janine. I live in NY but my mother is in prison in Ohio months 14 months ago. Her sentence is o 03/01/06. I would like to send to the judge a recommendaton letter. Canyou pleas send me a sample letter so that way I konw how to write mine.
Thank you..

joch25
03-04-2007, 10:40 AM
if anyone has a letter i mabe could get some ideas from would help me out a lot my boyfriend is looking at 10 years so any help would be great thanks jodi

SnakeCharmer
03-06-2007, 09:07 PM
i also need a little help in this department. my brother goes in front of the judge THIS MONTH... adn then if it doesnt work out completely.. he has to go in front of a jury a few days later.
it's drug charges.
he has a wife a son thats only 2.. and a step daughter thats only 5.
thank you for any sample letter that you may send my way.. i'd just like to try and help.

Gryphon
03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
DON'T write a form letter or copy a letter. The only impact letters will have (if they have any impact at all) is if they are percieved as genuine. It's usually best to run letters through the defense lawyer, who'll use them when the time is right, and can make sure that the DA, probation officer, and Judge all have a copy.
A good place to start is to explain in precise terms why teh court should sentence in a way that probably doesn't come natually; in other words why shouldn't the sentence emphsize punishment. Any recent epiphanies by the Defendant should be explained in detail. Your audience figures that if the defendant was going to get their act together, they wouldn't be in trouble in the 1st place; and therefore punishment and warehousing is necessary to deal with this "lost cause" of a human being. Why would they be wrong about that? Do a few drafts until you get it write. Encourage others to do the same thing. Co-workers, relations, neighbors, clergy, counselors, teachers, etc. The more the merrier; the greater the impact of attempts to humanize the defendant.

MeMouse
07-04-2010, 08:59 AM
My brother will be sentenced in August 2010, I need to write a letter to the Judge but do not know where to start. Can you help me?

Colorado_Lawyer
07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Have you spoken to your brother's attorney about what type of information the attorney thinks would be helpful in a letter? Or what type of information you should not talk about? I think you should have this conversation before deciding how to write your letter.

One thing that judges never want to hear from family members is that their loved one was innocent and was set up. Even if you think this is true, the sentencing hearing is the wrong place to talk about this. At sentencing, the Judge wants to see and hear about remorse and acceptance of responsibility. If your brother had a trial and is going to appeal, then talking about these types of things could hurt his chances if he wins his appeal, so this is why you should talk to his attorney.

One thing you can put in your letter is what an all around great guy your brother is, how is there to help his family and community, what type of family support he has, etc. If there is any chance your brother could get probation, then explain to the Judge how much family support he has, how he has a good job that he will be able to keep, etc.

My brother will be sentenced in August 2010, I need to write a letter to the Judge but do not know where to start. Can you help me?

Fresh Start7
07-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I had several letters written on my behalf but I don't think that they made any difference. It all depends on the judge. In general though, it can't hert.

elliemay
06-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Yes, it will help. I wrote a very intelligent letter for my boyfriend and the judge gave him Intensive probation for 3 years. He unfortunatly messed that up and went before the same judge who gave him 7 years.

Peace,

Aquemini
is there any way i can get you to email me you letter? i need help despertly an not very good at writing letter to judge. my son will be going to pretrail an i want to write to the judge before he does. please reply

yourself
06-12-2012, 06:10 PM
is there any way i can get you to email me you letter? i need help despertly an not very good at writing letter to judge. my son will be going to pretrail an i want to write to the judge before he does. please reply

No, you don't want to write the judge before pretrial. You want to support your son. Anything you do now can adversely impact your son. Writing to the judge at the pretrial stage will adversely impact your son.

When it's time to write a letter on behalf of your son, talk with his attorney first and NEVER send anything to a judge without pre-approval of his lawyer.