View Full Version : 1st time offender sentenced to 120 shock

anywherebuthere
01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi:
I am a first time offender sentenced to 120 days shock incarceration. I was just trying to get some information on what to expect. There are really no resources out there to at least have some idea of what to expect. As this is my first time, I am quite terrified. I will have to spend 30 days in county jail before being transferred to the "treatment program". The sentence if for a 3rd D.U.I. If anybody has any experience with this, I would appreciate any information you can share.
Thank You

thatwiz
01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
shock-compare it to military boot camp-thats what its like

Wooly Rhino
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Missouri, last I heard, does not have boot camp type shock programs. What you have done young man is dodged a big bullet. 3rd time DUI. Have you killed anyone yet? STUPID. Stop drinking and driving.

What is going to happen to you is that you will be taken to a Reception Center. I believe St. Louis has its own. You will be showered and stripped searched. You will then get a lovely orange jumpsuit. You will spend about 7 days in the orange and then you will get grays. After a month or so, you will be transferred to Tipton where you go back into the Orange jumpsuit. You will spend another 7 days in R and O there. At which time you will go to most likely 12 house. There you will lose your fear of prison.

When you get out of prison your probation will begin. You will not be on parole. 120 day shock in the state of Missouri does not count toward your sentence. If you are doing a Class C felony you screw up and you go away starting at day one. What is going to happen, most likely, is that you wont learn a damn thing and you will probably get drunk on your way home from prison. There is a liquor store directly across from the bus station.

There is a chance that you wise up but that is rare.

And one final thing. In 1985, regardless of what you Cardinal fans think, he was SAFE. Go KC.

Wooly Rhino
01-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Sorry, I forgot to tell you about "Treatment". That is located different places. If they get you in to treatment, you will set around and talk. Learn all about how what you did is wrong and not to do it anymore. It is a waste of state money. You will make your choices one way or the other. You will learn to say what everyone else says and then you go home.

Now, I had a cellie who got out of prison and borrowed $750 from me. He too was a drunk and it may color my views on this.

freedomataprice
01-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi:
I am a first time offender sentenced to 120 days shock incarceration. I was just trying to get some information on what to expect. There are really no resources out there to at least have some idea of what to expect. As this is my first time, I am quite terrified. I will have to spend 30 days in county jail before being transferred to the "treatment program". The sentence if for a 3rd D.U.I. If anybody has any experience with this, I would appreciate any information you can share.
Thank You

You will be OK!!! I know you are scared. When do you have to go?

anywherebuthere
01-12-2010, 07:47 AM
You will be OK!!! I know you are scared. When do you have to go?

February.

anywherebuthere
01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Missouri, last I heard, does not have boot camp type shock programs. What you have done young man is dodged a big bullet. 3rd time DUI. Have you killed anyone yet? STUPID. Stop drinking and driving.

What is going to happen to you is that you will be taken to a Reception Center. I believe St. Louis has its own. You will be showered and stripped searched. You will then get a lovely orange jumpsuit. You will spend about 7 days in the orange and then you will get grays. After a month or so, you will be transferred to Tipton where you go back into the Orange jumpsuit. You will spend another 7 days in R and O there. At which time you will go to most likely 12 house. There you will lose your fear of prison.

When you get out of prison your probation will begin. You will not be on parole. 120 day shock in the state of Missouri does not count toward your sentence. If you are doing a Class C felony you screw up and you go away starting at day one. What is going to happen, most likely, is that you wont learn a damn thing and you will probably get drunk on your way home from prison. There is a liquor store directly across from the bus station.

There is a chance that you wise up but that is rare.

And one final thing. In 1985, regardless of what you Cardinal fans think, he was SAFE. Go KC.

I appreciate your kind words. And I have wised up and gotten treatment...but none the less, I appreciate your candor.

freedomataprice
01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Well just remember it is only 120 days! Not the rest of your life. This is an opportunity to learn and improve your self. Take it.

Keep your nose clean and don't take favors from anyone, until you know them really well.
Just do your time, don't worry about what others are in for.

Set up a writing network, people who you can count on to write you while you are in. This will help pass the time.

If you have restitution try to get that paid before you go in, so they don't take it from your books. It sucks not having money for canteen.

Have someone you trust on the outside to send you money, provide them with that money if you can! Don't expect them to go broke helping you.

Don't go in half cocked. Walk away from confrontation, no need to get more time if you can prevent it.

And again, learn from your time there. Decide that you NEVER want to do this again.

anywherebuthere
01-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Well just remember it is only 120 days! Not the rest of your life. This is an opportunity to learn and improve your self. Take it.

Keep your nose clean and don't take favors from anyone, until you know them really well.
Just do your time, don't worry about what others are in for.

Set up a writing network, people who you can count on to write you while you are in. This will help pass the time.

If you have restitution try to get that paid before you go in, so they don't take it from your books. It sucks not having money for canteen.

Have someone you trust on the outside to send you money, provide them with that money if you can! Don't expect them to go broke helping you.

Don't go in half cocked. Walk away from confrontation, no need to get more time if you can prevent it.

And again, learn from your time there. Decide that you NEVER want to do this again.

Thanks for the information. One of my biggest concerns is that I am currently enrolled in school online....do you happen to know what the policy is regarding this?

jjasparks
01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
You most likely (Being from Saint Louis) will go to the reception and diagnostic center ERDCC (Prison) in Bonne Terre. They have the 120 day shock program in 10 house (Dorm style). If you were sentenced to shock, you will not likely go to treatment (Which would be odd considering your charge). 120 Treatment is also done at Farmington prison grounds (FTC). Your 120 time begins the day you get to prison either way. The whole process is not a pleasant one by any means, but bearable knowing you will only be in for a short time if you stay out of trouble. You will not go to the boot camp program, which is also at ERDCC. I did the 120 treatment at Farmington and it didn't do anything for me. Took being sent to the real deal for me to put the bottle down. I wish you the best and it would be in your best interest to quit now rather than winding up in real prison. The 120 is a cakewalk compared to the real deal. And the way they're getting on DWI's nowdays, it's entirely possible you will be sentenced to 7 years or more for being a prior and persistent/chronic offender. You could expect to do at least 3 years solid on that before even being considered for parole and you will definitely do treatment along with it..

(On a side note, it's best to let as few people as possible know you are in for a 120. There's alot of people that would love to screw it up for you in there that have long sentences. Remember in reception & diagnostics, you will be among all types of criminals. They do not separate you. Guys you cell up with could be in for child support or DWI's, but then again, it may be for murder or rape.)

anywherebuthere
01-12-2010, 09:49 PM
You most likely (Being from Saint Louis) will go to the reception and diagnostic center ERDCC (Prison) in Bonne Terre. They have the 120 day shock program in 10 house (Dorm style). If you were sentenced to shock, you will not likely go to treatment (Which would be odd considering your charge). 120 Treatment is also done at Farmington prison grounds (FTC). Your 120 time begins the day you get to prison either way. The whole process is not a pleasant one by any means, but bearable knowing you will only be in for a short time if you stay out of trouble. You will not go to the boot camp program, which is also at ERDCC. I did the 120 treatment at Farmington and it didn't do anything for me. Took being sent to the real deal for me to put the bottle down. I wish you the best and it would be in your best interest to quit now rather than winding up in real prison. The 120 is a cakewalk compared to the real deal. And the way they're getting on DWI's nowdays, it's entirely possible you will be sentenced to 7 years or more for being a prior and persistent/chronic offender. You could expect to do at least 3 years solid on that before even being considered for parole and you will definitely do treatment along with it..

(On a side note, it's best to let as few people as possible know you are in for a 120. There's alot of people that would love to screw it up for you in there that have long sentences. Remember in reception & diagnostics, you will be among all types of criminals. They do not separate you. Guys you cell up with could be in for child support or DWI's, but then again, it may be for murder or rape.)

thanks for taking the time to respond.....still pretty frightened, but it helps to know a little about ehat I'm in for.

freedomataprice
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Your online school will have to wait. I would contact the school now and set up a deferment if possible. You will not have access to a computer while in prison.

jjasparks had some real good advice. Don't let anyone know what you are in for, and don't make anything up either. Just do your time!

anywherebuthere
01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Your online school will have to wait. I would contact the school now and set up a deferment if possible. You will not have access to a computer while in prison.

jjasparks had some real good advice. Don't let anyone know what you are in for, and don't make anything up either. Just do your time!

If I shouldn't let anyone know, but not make anything up either, what should my response be if I'm asked about it?

Wooly Rhino
01-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Round two. First, let me tell you that I think most prison sentences are a total waste of time. Not just yours. Shock is about being scared. That is the point. You are supposed to be afraid. If we tell you just how easy 120 days will be then we are going against what the court is trying to do with you and that is to wake you up.

I personally believe the drunk driving laws are out of control in Missouri. At one time the head of the parole board in Missouri was also the head of Mothers Against Drunk Drivers. Understand, I have never drank. Just not my thing. I am 53 and have never tasted booze as it stinks and I dont get it. Not trying to judge you. If you drink and drive and make it home okay, then fine by me. If you hit me or hurt my family, I dont care if you were stone cold sober, I am out to get payback.

The problem is prison time has gotten way too easy. In 1969 the eight circuit got rid of whips. Prison time use to be five years max but it was hell. 1969 was the height of the Vietnam War and along comes the drug culture. Folks got lock up for smoking a weed. That weed was legal in this country until the invention of nylon and Dupoints wanting to sell rope to the navy. Read your history, this isnt the place for it. Prisons became overcrowded. Real professional criminals had to share their space with hippies. The overcrowding lead to roits, Attica was one. If you dont know that story read.

Then people came up with the idea of more "humane" treatment. They made prison more friendly. People lost their fear of prison. Longer sentences dont help. They just hurt the families. Put someone in prison 20 years and they come out having not paid taxes for 20 years and most likely have left a wife and kids on government assistance. What is the point in that? If prison is suppose to be a punishment then it should punish. And punishment doesnt take 20 years. The threat of punishment is much more effective then the punishment itself. I remember sending my son to bed. It was late and he should have been in bed. He was in there making noise and not going to sleep like I wanted. I call out to him that if I had to come in there, I was bringing my belt. (I never spanked him in my life, never had to.) About five minutes late he called out to me and said he wanted to SEE my belt. Since I had threaten him and never spanked him, he didnt believe I even had a belt. That is prison. It isnt a punishment. It is a big waste of time.

The old heads will tell you they can do 120 days standing on their head. It is nothing. Be over before you get use to the place. You are not going to get raped in prison. You wont be around anyone who has that much time left. They put people with the same amount of time left on their sentences together. No one with less then two years wants any trouble. They just want to go home.

Now let me tell you this. There was ONE person in prison who stole from me. He was doing 120 shock and was trying to prove how hard he was. The guys (I told this before so this is the short version) got ahold of some blank parole papers and filled them out to indicate that the shock had be revocted and he was going to have to do his entire 7 years. He cried like a school girl.

120 days is nothing. You will meet some nice people who screwed up, you will meet some real assholes. You wont learn a thing about drinking and driving. That will be your choice.

I belive no prison sentence should be for more then 5 years. There should be only one prison in Missouri. There are too many people locked up. Locking people up for drunk driving and also for Murder is stupid. Punishment should be more creative. In Saudi Arabia, (not the most enlighted country in the world) a drunk driver would have been taken 20 miles out of town and told to walk back. That is what I think should happen to you. I would give you a 50 pound back pack because it is your 3 offense plus since you are from St. Louis, I would make you walk from Columbia.

You will find out that your going to prison is a waste of your time, your families time, and my tax dollars. Do you already know drinking and driving are stupid? If so, want do you think you are going to learn?

You are going to learn that most guys in prison are just trying to get by the best they can. You truly will meet some great people there. Stay away from the COs as best you can. Keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. Do not act afraid and you will have nothing to fear. Play chess, play cards but not for money. Be a whisper not a shout. And for Gods sake give your car keys to someone else before you go drinking.

freedomataprice
01-20-2010, 01:16 AM
If I shouldn't let anyone know, but not make anything up either, what should my response be if I'm asked about it?

From what I understand it's kinda like the don't ask don't tell rule. If you must say something just make it a vague. It is nobodies business why you are the but you!
I don't think anyone is going to come up to you and be like " Hey man tell me your life story."
All I am trying to say is stay out of sight! Keep your nose clean and don't get buddy buddy with anyone, until you KNOW they are trustworthy.

i know a little
01-26-2010, 07:33 PM
why only a 120 , i thought after 3 dwis it was ten to twelve.R&O IS WHERE U START MAYBE A TREATMENT HOUSE AFTER THAT.Hi:
Thank You
&

scd123
06-05-2010, 11:29 PM
My boyfriend will be sentenced to a 120 in a few days. Is there anything that you think we should know before that? He will be going to Farmington...

Can he use the phone and write letters like the general prison population? Will he be in with the general population there, or just with the 120 people.

Personally, I think a 120 will really be good for him. I know that sounds really mean, but I think it will save his life. He has never had to do any time, and I think this will be a real eye opener.

Please let me know if you or a loved one has done a 120 in Missouri, especially Farmington. I am new to this and need all the advice I can get!

freejordan
11-05-2010, 07:40 AM
My son is currently in BonneTerre in the diagnostic process waiting for transfer to Farmington to finish his 120. He has adjusted well and has learned alot. His letters are profound and remorseful and I couldn't be happpier!He was headed down the wrong path and when I tried to tell/counsel him, he would look right in my face and disrespect me and do what he wanted. It all caught up with him like i tried to tell him. He is truly a changed young man and better now at 18 then at 30! As long as he minds his own business and keeps to himself he will befine. He also took an iq test and found out how really smart he is brain-wise! Just been so stupid social-wise! I miss him terribly and the holidays are gonna suck without him but I know he'll be home better than ever. A tough lesson to learn. He was put on probation in May and totallly did not take it seriously and violated a bunch of times and now will have a felony on his permanent record. There goes his nursing carreer he wanted .

kathleenr
11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Your story is so much like mine. My son did a 120 at FCC, didn't take it seriously, came home and within 2 months was back at FCC serving an 18month sentence. I too tried to counsel him along with his teachers, family, but unfortunately at the age of 18 he knew it all, was above the law and continued on his destructive path. He is now a totally different person. He has done well in his classes, has matured, is more concerned about other people than himself, but most of all he is drug free and thinking clearly. He seems to be gaining self confidence, something he never had before. For all of this I am thankful for FCC. No mother wants to see her child in prison but for some people it seems to be the only way for them to grow up and be responsible. Your son may never get to be a nurse, but there will be other careers out there that he can choose. Unfortunately, they have to pay for what the do and the consequences are sometimes heartbreaking. Good luck to him and to you. Kathleenr

jamiet123
11-29-2010, 09:34 PM
My boyfriend will be sentenced to a 120 in a few days. Is there anything that you think we should know before that? He will be going to Farmington...

Can he use the phone and write letters like the general prison population? Will he be in with the general population there, or just with the 120 people.

Personally, I think a 120 will really be good for him. I know that sounds really mean, but I think it will save his life. He has never had to do any time, and I think this will be a real eye opener.

Please let me know if you or a loved one has done a 120 in Missouri, especially Farmington. I am new to this and need all the advice I can get!

My husband is due to be released from Farmington Treatment Center in less than a month, and he said it was challenging for him at first. He wasn't allowed to call for maybe one wee after he got there, and they have two scheduled times a week they can call. My husbands time was always Wed and Sat. The visits came after 60 days I think, and they were only every second and fourth Sunday of the month. Immediate family only was allowed to visit, so leave friends at home. The vending machines are crappy, but the CO's were all nice in there. He was coming from Algoa which was more laid back, so it was a change for him. It's still prison, but they live military like. If you have any questions you can pm me for my email address.