View Full Version : Are inmates tested for STD's, etc prior to release?

Mrs.Garcia04
01-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Do inmates get tested for TB or STD or Hep C or anything else upon being released? I an just wondering cause I have heard lots of talk on here on getting tested. I never thought anything of it really until I read they can pass it by getting tattoos and my husband has talked of getting tats, i think one has been started. Does he have to ask to be tested or does the jail just do it? He is in a privately owned CCA facility if that makes any difference.

MiyraruAku
01-08-2010, 09:35 PM
I want to say yes they are before release but I am looking for official documentation stating that

texasparolee
01-08-2010, 09:55 PM
30 days before you get released you do what is called a pre release. they take your blood and test for all that good stuff. then you get the results via mail.

catwoman1314
01-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Do inmates get tested for TB or STD or Hep C or anything else upon being released? I an just wondering cause I have heard lots of talk on here on getting tested. I never thought anything of it really until I read they can pass it by getting tattoos and my husband has talked of getting tats, i think one has been started. Does he have to ask to be tested or does the jail just do it? He is in a privately owned CCA facility if that makes any difference.

very good question...none of that even crossed my mind.:eek:

ShoesHappen
01-09-2010, 03:53 AM
He can also request to get tested any time while he is incarcerated.

Michelep68
01-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Jeff and I were just talking about this the other day since he is about to get out. He has gotten A LOT of tats in prison, so I worry about that. He's said he's been tested for some things and has always come up Negative, so let's hope for the best!

WilcoMom
01-11-2010, 08:38 AM
They do routine and regular TB and Hep C testing. My son just got one last week, out of the clear blue. He said it's not the first, and he doesn't know anyone who has TB or Hep C ... I don't know about STDs ... he's never said.

*Quia*
01-11-2010, 02:56 PM
30 days before you get released you do what is called a pre release. they take your blood and test for all that good stuff. then you get the results via mail.

Abel was released in Sept '08 and yes he took a blood test in pre release but we never got any results mailed to us. Abel went to the doctor when he got home and got a full physcial with full blood work.

ShoesHappen
01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
... went to the doctor when he got home and got a full physcial with full blood work.
That's probably the best idea if there are any questions or concerns, instead of waiting for TDC to get the results back and sent to the right place. I just don't trust them to do anything right, I guess ...

Michelep68
01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, my fiancee will definitely be going to the dr, dentist, and optometrist soon after he gets out. Gotta get him on my insurance first (after we get married). :)

Lover of Life
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
in womens federal prison you are tested upon arrival and prior to release for all std's to include aids. we were given the results about a week after testing.

ReggiesLady
01-12-2010, 09:57 AM
TDCJ doesn't test for STD's except HIV upon release as far as I'm aware.

JaycieDnTejas
01-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Daughter was only tested for HIV prior to release.

Tracy
01-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Josh was tested when he went in, because I know he specifially told me, no STDs. But he was also tested before release, and now come to think of it, I dont know if he got results on that or not. I will be talking to him in the next day or so and try to remember to ask.

newmaninchrist
01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
I was released from TDCJ 14 days ago... TB, Hep C, AIDS and other blood born diseases are rigorously tested throughout the intake process. Syphillus and other STDs are tested upon inmate request. Tell him to put in an I-60 to medical and they will accomodate. There is a pre release blood test but to my knowledge that is a DNA requirement for DPS.

KathleenTX
01-27-2010, 08:36 PM
I wonder if it makes a difference if they are doing flat time in Ad-Seg. I ask as I see so many things seem to be with pre-release programs. Let me know if anyone knows.

Many can't afford to go to a doctor and get a physical when they get out. I am unsure of how much the local health department is willing to do on a sliding scale basis. Has anyone had experience with that?

MommaBird22
02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I think a local health dept charges around 20 for HIV Syphilis and Hep testing also you can search for free places around the country that test for std's too.

sweetlasha26
02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
My boyfriend was in Dallas County then moved to Hutchins State Jail and next week is being bench warranted to Collin Co. I'm needing to know upon entering either one of these facilities does he get tested for stds and hiv/aids. I know they have checked him for high blood pressure, diabetes,and high cholestrol which he has. But if anyone knows get back at me. thanx!!

SAGIRL
02-11-2010, 08:39 PM
My husband got tested in Sept or October for AIDs since at that time was 6months from being released. He told me that they would mail ME the results and as of today have not received a thing.

smallngood
02-18-2010, 02:02 PM
"New-" is right, the testing is done usually no later than ten days before being sent to unit that one discharges from if not their own.
Be safe.