View Full Version : SO in State Prison

Jade1989
09-21-2002, 09:06 AM
Hi All. Can anyone tell me what State Prison is going to be like…. specifically for a Sex Offender. My brother is awaiting sentencing and is looking at a minimum of 5 years. I probably don’t have to tell you, that especially because of what he is going in for, our family is very scared. We have heard so many stories about beatings, rape and worse for Sex Offenders in prison. Can anyone tell me what it is really like for these guys? Also, there was nothing violent with the situation that he was involved in; however, the law states that his charge is considered a “violent felony”. Does this mean he will go to a Maximum Security prison. How is it decided if someone goes to Minimum, Moderate or Maximum. Heck I don’t even know the difference between any of them anyway, but Maximum sure sounds worse. I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but we are just trying to get some idea of what things will be like. Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome you have given me already. This has got to be the kindest group of people I have ever met. It means the world to me to have the kind of support I have seen here. Thank you ……Jade

KConnor56
09-21-2002, 10:28 AM
Jade I can't speak specifically for NY prisons, hopefully someone else can. Alot will depend on what his actual conviction was for. Here in Calif. it is possible to make it through prison with out people finding out what your in for. Depending on the charges, he can run into problems, it also will depend on his ability, & willingness to defend himself. There are some members who have a loved one locked up that is a SO, & they maybe willing to let you know how their loved ones are doing. I can only speak from my personal experiance, from what I have seen, in Calif. prisons. Good luck-------Ken

Jade1989
09-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Hi Ken, Thanks! The charge was Sodemy 1st degree.
Jade

sweetlover
12-09-2002, 07:34 PM
my husband is in jail right now for crimal sexual conduct and he has 1sta dn2nd degree..here 1st degree could be up to life...well see it takes two people to have sex not just one.she gave him concent and then they had sex and she called rape..i do not under stand younger girls now days.she has a 18 year old bf right now and they are having sex .what should i do call and turn them in or what?

deb
12-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Jade,

In Michigan the SOs are put in different facilities and when they are housed with other inmates they can say they are in for something else--just make sure he keeps his story straight if he does this. Most inmates feel the less they share the better and others don't bug them as the rule of conduct is to "mind your own business." So if asked an inmate might say the charge and no story with it. Hope this helps..

Deb

ord0x
03-12-2003, 10:51 AM
I hope everything turns out well for your brother. I am currently being investigated for a sex offense in Arizona, and am scared shitless. As sweetlover said, it takes two. In my case, the other party happened to be 5 years younger than me, which was enough to make it a crime.

Not to steal your thread or anything, but...
In AZ, where I will be locked up, the crime I did has a mandatory 10 years, with a recommended of 17 years, and 24 maximum. Depending on how much they don't like me, I could get anywhere from 10-60+ years (they have some other stuff they can tack on if they really want to). This is my first offense of any type, and I am 22 now. I have a feeling I will be in custody within the next month. In AZ, a SO has no bail or bond or probation or anything at all, so once I get arrested I will be gone for good. Kinda sad too, I think, because the girl it was with was on birth control for the 2 or 3 other guys she was sleeping with (it just turned out that I was the only one over 18).

Anyways, just wanted to explain where I was coming from. I really would appreciate anything anybody can give to help me and Jade's brother out regarding what it will be like, what to do, and how to act. I'm pretty scrawny and frail, and really have no way of defending myself should the need arise. I have a hard time eating and sleeping because of how scared I am. I was 3 months away from graduating and having my bachelors, a fairly good job was already lined up, and my life was going good. Then that crap came back to ruin my life. Like Jade's brother, there was nothing violent in my case either.

Jade: My lawyer told me that (at least in AZ, probably everywhere) it is possible to put in a request to be moved to a 'safer' area of the prison if you are (like me) unable to defend yourself, and this is especially true with sex offenders because SO's are (at least it sounds this way from everything I ever read) hated by everybody in the jail. Your brother might try that approach to make it a little bit easier on him.

Anyways, good luck to you and your brother, I hope everything goes well for him.

Phil in Paris
03-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Hi Ord0x

I'm really sorry to hear about all that crap !!! I can certainly understand you're scared. I hope that before you're turned in, you'll get all good advice and info you need. What your lawyer talked you about, is called Protective Custody. But I don't think you can spend youyr whole sentence in PC. The best is not to tell the other the reasons of your incarceration.

I do hope other members will give you good advice, and I want to wish you all the best and good luck !!! Welcome to the PTO family, and know that we're here for you !!!

All the best
Phil

lulu
03-12-2003, 01:26 PM
I know this does not help, nor do i approve of t his law, but when it comes to a minor, the law ses it as the minor not of age to give consent to have sex. even though they do, the law wont support it, so therefore you have these parents that come in that are of age and there you have the statutory rape. i do not agree with it, in fact that law makes me pretty upset.

Marie
03-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Jade -

I can only speak for the prisons here in Michigan. My husband is in for a sex offence. He is in a minimum security facility...and over 70% of the inmates housed there are in for some type of sex offence. He has had no problems at all. And Deb is right...the rule of conduct is "mind your own business". When asked about his charge, my husband has simply said he doesn't want to talk about it, and no one had pressed the issue with him.

I hope this helps some. I'm sure someone from your area will be along, and can give you a better idea about how things are there.

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

All my best

Marie

KConnor56
03-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Jade, & ordox,

As you can see states differ in how they houses SO offenders. I was one of those guys you guys are worried about. I have gone after child molesters, & stabbed one. I can tell you this from my perspective, & I know others feel the same way. That if you were fairly close in age, & it was consensual sex, you wont have much of a problem. Keep your paper work to prove your side of the story, because convicts won't believe you other wise. ---------Ken