View Full Version : Why are Prisons so cold?

Tmorris125
01-05-2010, 09:55 AM
My son has told me that the heat at his prison has not worked for 2 weeks. Yesterday he heard they finally got it fixed. He said they checked the temp and it was 45 degrees inside. The officers station had a space heater. He said he has worn thermals and all the clothes he could put on.
I told him to buy another blanket. He said he already has two and nothing seems to help. I feel this is so unhumain (sp?). How can they get away treating our inmates that way? Who could I complain to?

Lordbew/us
01-05-2010, 10:10 AM
That's terrible, the weather these past couple days have been brutal and the weatherman is saying we are supposed to be having record cold temps through March.
I hope that the heat is fixed today, and they aren't lolly gagging around. It seems that everything is done at such a slow pace and not much is a priority. Maybe the camp is having a hard time getting a company out to service the system since its been the holiday season. Who know's maybe the State has its own maintanence staff.
Let's hope it's an easy fix.
I hope none of these inmates come down with the flu... I'm just bouncing back from the 24 hour flu. I can't imagine these guys laying in there bed sick with no one to take care of them.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the heat comes on today.

PhilsWifey4Lyfe
01-05-2010, 10:19 AM
My son has told me that the heat at his prison has not worked for 2 weeks. Yesterday he heard they finally got it fixed. He said they checked the temp and it was 45 degrees inside. The officers station had a space heater. He said he has worn thermals and all the clothes he could put on.
I told him to buy another blanket. He said he already has two and nothing seems to help. I feel this is so unhumain (sp?). How can they get away treating our inmates that way? Who could I complain to?

my husband said its really cold in the prison hes in as well. there is something that we can do to fix this

Tmorris125
01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Talked with my son and he said no it was not fixed. Some of the other guys told him that they have been saying they were getting it fixed since last year. I've decided I am going to call, not the prison itself but the DOC, and of course I will not give my name. He might be a man in prison, but he is still my baby. Don't mess with a mother.

Mommy4Two
01-05-2010, 07:47 PM
I would assume it's cold to cut down on the cost of heating the place, in turn making it cheaper to operate the facility... But I would also assume that the DOC has a very good "reason" for the cooler temps. They could hide behind it and say that because there is such a large population in such a small area that the temp needs to be lower to decrease the chance of infectious diseases spreading, etc., etc... blah, blah....

CoNpal
01-05-2010, 07:53 PM
My bf told me last night that his feet would not get warm no matter what he did...two pairs of socks, shoes, blankets, etc.

Mommy4Two
01-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey, that sounds like my house! :) I cut the heat down a little because my bill was so high and now I just can't keep my feet warm!!!

CoNpal
01-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey, that sounds like my house! :) I cut the heat down a little because my bill was so high and now I just can't keep my feet warm!!!
I have gas and I keep it on 67 degrees. Electricity is cheaper right now so I have an electric space heater that I turn on for 30 minutes to warm up the room when we get cold.

Mommy4Two
01-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Ok, so not to take the thread off track, but here's my deal. My house is total electric. I was told all Summer that it would cost way more to cool the place than to heat it... Ok, so my highest electric bill this Summer was $139. :D I was ecstatic! Well, it got cold, set the heat on 72 and it was all good. Well, got the first bill where we had been using heat for most of the month and it was $106. Even better! So, I kept the heat at 72 and at night I started using a little space heater with a fan type deal to warm up my girls' room... Well, this current bill I got was $241!!!!!! No joke!!! I was floored! I will admit that because of the holidays there are 5 extra days on this bill because of when they read the meter, but still that's only about $30 for those 5 days!!! Ok, so since that bill I cut it down to 67... I'm gonna try to keep it there as long as I can, but it's been getting so cold lately and it's also supposed to freeze, so I'm not sure about it!! I have noticed that it cuts on more now during the night and not the day, so hopefully that'll save some $ this month!!!!

Ok, now back to the prisons being so cold! Too bad they didn't have thermals for Christmas this year! They could even start selling them at store and I bet they could sell 'em for $5 a pair and still make a killing!!!!!

CoNpal
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Ok, so not to take the thread off track, but here's my deal. My house is total electric. I was told all Summer that it would cost way more to cool the place than to heat it... Ok, so my highest electric bill this Summer was $139. :D I was ecstatic! Well, it got cold, set the heat on 72 and it was all good. Well, got the first bill where we had been using heat for most of the month and it was $106. Even better! So, I kept the heat at 72 and at night I started using a little space heater with a fan type deal to warm up my girls' room... Well, this current bill I got was $241!!!!!! No joke!!! I was floored! I will admit that because of the holidays there are 5 extra days on this bill because of when they read the meter, but still that's only about $30 for those 5 days!!! Ok, so since that bill I cut it down to 67... I'm gonna try to keep it there as long as I can, but it's been getting so cold lately and it's also supposed to freeze, so I'm not sure about it!! I have noticed that it cuts on more now during the night and not the day, so hopefully that'll save some $ this month!!!!

Ok, now back to the prisons being so cold! Too bad they didn't have thermals for Christmas this year! They could even start selling them at store and I bet they could sell 'em for $5 a pair and still make a killing!!!!!
With the weather staying this cold for so long, my electric and gas is going to be through the roof. My central unit is pretty much running all the time even with the thermostat on 67!

It is time for my bf to call. I'm going to ask if they'll let me send him some wool socks.

Mommy4Two
01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, the bad thing about my place is that I have a heat pump! They're supposed to be super efficient and great! Which I have a brand new one because the old one went out and my landlord had to put a totally new one in, but apparently, it's not as energy efficient as they told us it was! And when it gets REALLY cold they won't warm your house very well... I hope it warms up a little because this is gonna kill me! Maybe the hubby can find a job soon and help pay the bills! :)

He has never really told me he was cold to the point of not being able to warm back up... He has always requested thermals in his Christmas package, but never really complained about the heat or cold... I'll have to ask him next time I write him! :D

CoNpal
01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I thought he was gonna be home this week or next? Shoot, I thought he already might be home.

Mommy4Two
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Oh yeah, I really thought he would be too! Oh well... I just did an update on the PO called me thread... But basically his file is stuck on the desk of a lady who decided to get married right amongst all the holidays and now she's behind! It's gonna be AT LEAST 2 weeks more! :( I'm ok though... I'm convinced he's not coming home right now for a reason!! All in good time... :)

Lordbew/us
01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Tmorris...what your son told you doesn't surprise me a bit. I bet these guys are right. It's just so darned cold right now...how can they get away with this crap???. My son will call me tonight and he's down in South GA, if he says he's cold I know he ain't lyin'. He says there are times where the CO's open the ceiling vent to outside and the room will get very cold. Of course my son sleeps on the top bunk.

I'm with you "MOM" it's hard to see our kids go through this inhumane crap.
Heck....I just about want to get in my car, drive over and bring them a scarf, a wool blanket ...

Keep us posted. Maybe this is the downside of Carrol?

Kat
01-06-2010, 12:32 AM
The State of Ga pulls this crap and taking a BIG chance of these guys getting sick and they make you all sign a paper that you are not sick and make you wash your hands.These people are NUTS

Tmorris125
01-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Mommy I also have a heat pump that is total electric. It's great in the summer but is terrible in the winter. My heat stays on all the time just to keep the place somewhat warm. As far as the prison, I sent an email. I am sure nothing will happen but I had to feel like I was trying something. Of course I did not sign it. We are going to visit Saturday. I will see how cold it is then. Of course they will probably have some kind of space heater on where we visit. I know the other times we have visited it was cold. But you could handle it. Sat will be very cold so we will see.

Tmorris

CoNpal
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
The State of Ga pulls this crap and taking a BIG chance of these guys getting sick and they make you all sign a paper that you are not sick and make you wash your hands.These people are NUTS
I really don't understand the point of that paper they make us sign saying we're not sick. If a flu outbreak happens in one of the prisons, how would they ever know which visitor/CO/other employee brought it in? Making us sign those is the dumbest damn thing that I've seen yet. The hand sanitizer is a good idea tho. :)

CoNpal
01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Mommy I also have a heat pump that is total electric. It's great in the summer but is terrible in the winter. My heat stays on all the time just to keep the place somewhat warm. As far as the prison, I sent an email. I am sure nothing will happen but I had to feel like I was trying something. Of course I did not sign it. We are going to visit Saturday. I will see how cold it is then. Of course they will probably have some kind of space heater on where we visit. I know the other times we have visited it was cold. But you could handle it. Sat will be very cold so we will see.

Tmorris
I was thinking of contacting the prison as well. I asked my bf if I could send wool socks and he said they are not allowed.

LORNA
01-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Conpal-
It (package request for socks) differs just like everything else within GDOC. Some faacilities allow socks as long as it's on the list and approved.

Mommy4Two
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I agree with Lorna on that one... Have him feel out a request form and mark the socks... They won't care what "type" of socks they are, I believe they just have to be white. I've even sent my hubby the thick ones that are for "working" so they would last a little longer inside of those boots!

I was thinking about the temp of the visitation rooms... I've not ever visited and had the room be cold. It's always been a very nice temp inside the rooms when visiting him! Wonder why that is...?

CoNpal
01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
I have never seen a pair of white wool socks but I will look for some and let you guys know. :)

Mommy4Two
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe not wool, but you can find some pretty thick ones... Even the ones at Wal*Mart, I think they're Dickies brand, are pretty thick! Better than the regular ol' Hanes...

poolside
01-07-2010, 11:21 PM
As a problem child myself, with cold feet, due to the cold tile on my floors, here's some tips I found online, as well as a few of my own.....

1. Wear a hat...keep all the heat you can inside your body and your feet will stay warmer longer.
2. Wear plastic garbage bags between two pairs of socks for tremendous insulation.
3. Use your antiperspirants on your feet to keep them from sweating, causing wetness and cold, especially if you choose the garbage bag tip.
4. Be sure your shoes are not laced too tight. Poor circulation can make your feet colder and also not alert you to changes.
5. My favorite tip of all comes thanks to Randi Young, a thread contributor at Ultrunr.com. Cayenne pepper keep feet warm. Turn your socks almost inside out, leaving the toe section cupped as it will be when you slide your foot in. Sprinkle a BIT of cayenne pepper into the portion of the sock where your toes and about 1" of your forefoot will be....just sprinkling the bottom of the sock seems to work well. Be certain to keep your hands clear of the pepper, because it will cause you immeasurable agony if conveyed to a contact lens (http://vision.helium.com/topic/3753-contact-lenses) or bare eye!...you won't be happy if you try this with any open cuts or blisters nearby. Be sure and wash (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/#) off well later.

Also, soaking feet in a warm (not hot) water (you can also add cayenne to the water) for awhile before bedtime, then immediately put on clean dry socks will help keep feet warm at night.

Personally, I spray my bare feet every morning with deodorant (or baby powder) to keep my feet dry. It works great!

Also, when I was a kid and cross-county skied, my Mother would make me put on a pair of socks, then a ziplock baggie (NOT the garbage bags mentioned above, lol), then another pair of socks. Since my boots were so cheap, it must have worked, LOL.

Wet feet lose heat 25x faster than dry. Your feet and head are the two areas that your core heat escape from the quickest. Serious problems can occur by allowing your feet to become wet and/or cold, most particularly in winter. Education is key to prevent complications from just minimal discomfort to life loss.

Keep your core and torso warm by dressing in layers!!!

Oh, and wiggling your toes to get blood to them seems to help too.

Mrs_Krobetzky
01-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Ryan is having the same problem at LSP, are any of these guys in similar prisons? Ryan sleeps on a top bunk as well right by the window and freezes...we are using his January package strictly for sweat shirts and things of that nature because all he has are shorts??????? wth???

kae
01-08-2010, 02:54 AM
not to make light of you all who are so cold, but i'm cracking up reading your postings. i was born and raised in the northeast and your winters down south are nothing compared to what we get up here. brrrrrrr

yesterday my husband told me 'its so cold down here its 40 degrees.' you all would fall out and die if you had the nice teens and single digits we had last week.

guess what we're getting this weekend????? snow. boy oh boy what joy. lol i need to take myself home back west. my friends in cali are enjoying 70s and 80s. :blah:

Mommy4Two
01-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Alright kae, enough poking fun at us! We got a light dusting of snow last night and everything is CLOSED! Kid you not, schools, daycares, stores, etc... It's like a ghost town around here for snow *dust*!!!!! :)

gdchfd
01-08-2010, 09:39 AM
When the department has something the maintenance people can't fix they have to contract out. Companies have to put a bid in if its over a certain price to fix and then the administration picks the company that makes the lowest bid. This is a policy that is done with all state/local government agencies. So it is possible that they are working as fast as they can. A lot of our prisons in georgia are older and draftier too, which makes them harder to heat no matter what is done. Right now, I'm in my office and my hands are FREEZING. Cooler temps also keep the spread of germs and illness down. And yes the officers get space heaters, because they can be trusted with them. While most inmates could be too, there are the few that have ruined it for the many when it comes to things like that. We have a small new building here that is very up to date and inmates this morning have told me that they just couldn't get warm last night. Sometimes its just that cold no matter where you are.
I post this to say, that just because things are taking longer than one would like, it doesn't mean that things aren't being done about them. However, I do agree that living like that is a horrible way to live and maybe they should work to keep people more informed of what is being done to assess the situation.

Tmorris125
01-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Well they did finally get the heat back on several days ago. So he is fine.
But I do know that keeping it colder does keep the germs down. Also the walls being cement blocks I would think, would also keep it colder. I understand how our government works, very slow, in the process of getting bids and all. But I do believe when it comes down to human beings freezing, they should pick up the speed a little.

kiddsgirl4life
01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Why is it so cold??? It's so cold b/c Ga prisons have no heat, in the dorms or cells...I know Calhoun State, Arrendale, and Bainbridge does not have any....hubby says he freezes...When i was in Arrendale we bout froze to death...we werent allowed to wear our hats or jackets in the buildings crazy huh??? :rolleyes: we had 2 very thin blankets and to top it off 90% of the time it was cold showers..:eek:

Something DOES need to be done, but any complaints fall on deaf ears if it concerns the Ga DOC, Grrrrrr....They DO NOT care!!!!:angry: I mean they wouldnt leave their pets to freeze...and believe me it's just as hot in the summer as it is cold in the winter...No ac or fans and 110* inside...

I have an :idea: put them in there to live with what lil the inmates have for a while, feed them the food 'not fit for humans, no heat, no air, no medical attention, make them wear shoes that are 2 sizes too small, then MAYBE somethings would change. notice i did say "MAYBE"....