View Full Version : Columbus County NC transfer question

ladysundwn
01-03-2010, 11:16 PM
My son was recently transferred to Columbus County Correctional in Brunswick NC. He had been told he was transferring to Ablemarle because they had the Electrical courses he had signed up for. The day of his transfer he was told they had no room and was sent to the coast. Columbus is 170 miles from his wife, twin 6 year olds, and me. I am unemployed, my daughter inlaw is struggling trying to support the kids and has a car with over 200,000 miles on it. There is no way we can travel to see him and try to support him from so far away. We just don't have the means to travel for 3.5 hours down and 3.5 back to visit him for one hour. We went for the first time today and the cost was 2 weeks groceries for her and the kids. How do we start trying to get him transferred closer to home? I have called Population Management in Raleigh and they referred me to his case worker, I have left two messages for her and have gotten no return call. We are broken hearted and miss him so much, we visited every week when he was in Piedmont.

01-04-2010, 11:26 PM
The Family and Friends Handbook
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publications/2009Handbook.pdf

Page 42:
"Can an inmate be transferred to a prison close to home?
The Division of Prisons recognizes that families would like their relative in prison to be housed closer to home. Unfortunately, due to the limited amount of bed space, custody level, the inmate’s program needs, and other factors, transfers close to home may not be possible. If an inmate wants to transfer to another prison, he or she must write a request to their case manager. However, this does not guarantee that the transfer will be granted."

There are also facility policies - one of which is the 90-day infraction free rule, he needs to stay out of trouble for 90 days even before being considered for a transfer. The 90 days is an individual facility rule of thumb - some are 30 days others are 180 days and anywhere in-between.

ladysundwn
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
His case worker finally called me back yesterday. This facility is 180 days before a transfer can be requested. Not at all what I wanted to hear... :(

c_oliver007
02-16-2012, 11:09 AM
I have had the same issue about my husband. Always remember that with these people, where there is a will, there is a way. When my husband went to prison, we had a four year old boy and I was 7 months pregnant with our second boy. They transferred him 5 hours away to Maury Correctional. I cant remember her name but, I spoke to a lady in Raleigh and told her about my situation. I had doctors write letters about my complications with the pregnancy and his dad's disability that prohibited us from traveling that far. Dont even bother talking to their case workers, they really dont care and wont help. We have had a lot of issues with prisons and have fought to change things and won our fights. Make a stink about things and dont give up until things are right. His children have done nothing wrong and should never have to do without because the state wants to make things easier for them by separating families. Stay strong and keep fighting. Dont deal with the prison go directly to Raleigh. If you have to, and trust me I have many many times, write newspapers and news stations, the governor, senator, dept of justice, the attorney general, anyone and everyone that you think may be able to help or interested in your story or just throw some big names in there that will scare the prison into doing what they should.

c_oliver007
02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I have had the same issue about my husband. Always remember that with these people, where there is a will, there is a way. When my husband went to prison, we had a four year old boy and I was 7 months pregnant with our second boy. They transferred him 5 hours away to Maury Correctional. I cant remember her name but, I spoke to a lady in Raleigh and told her about my situation. I had doctors write letters about my complications with the pregnancy and his dad's disability that prohibited us from traveling that far. Dont even bother talking to their case workers, they really dont care and wont help. We have had a lot of issues with prisons and have fought to change things and won our fights. Make a stink about things and dont give up until things are right. His children have done nothing wrong and should never have to do without because the state wants to make things easier for them by separating families. Stay strong and keep fighting. Dont deal with the prison go directly to Raleigh. If you have to, and trust me I have many many times, write newspapers and news stations, the governor, senator, dept of justice, the attorney general, anyone and everyone that you think may be able to help or interested in your story or just throw some big names in there that will scare the prison into doing what they should.

Oh yeah, after i spoke to the lady in Raleigh, less than a week later she had my husband moved to another prison less than an hour away. Do research and dont ever give up on what you think is right.