View Full Version : Anyone else with a loved one in Daniel Unit TX Prison

Succ33d
01-03-2010, 06:43 PM
This forum seems awfully quiet. Anyone else with someone there now? He has finally reached his final destination, and will probably serve the rest of his time there. He says it is a small prison, really laid back, and feels lucky to be there instead of the other places he could have gone to.

He is under the Amarillo board now, yes? Same as he was before. He seems to think he's under a different one though, and I can't find anything to back that up. Maybe I don't understand the process too well.

britecloud
01-11-2010, 03:02 PM
hi, suc33d, my husband has been at daniel since 2006 and he does ok there. it is a very small unit, and the staff for the most part is very friendly. they got a new warden last summer, so there are some new rules, but michael says he is fair to the inmates.

daniel is a safekeeping unit, so there are not confirmed gang members there and anyone who acts up is shipped out. the highest level there is medium custody and michael says there isnt even alot of that.

and yes, he is still under the @#%##@# amarillo board. :-)

best of luck to yall, and feel free to pm me if you need anything.

Succ33d
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi :D Good to know he's not there all by himself :D

Good luck to you guys also. Would be nice to have luck on our side for a change! :)

deerwoman
01-12-2010, 10:30 AM
My son is in Daniel Unit. It is in the middle of nowhere except for those wind turbines and cotton field. I don't know which board that would be. My son says the unit is referred to as the "nice" unit. He says he has windows in his cell. He takes college courses out of Western College. He has a certificate in horticulture. Hopefully he will be out in 2 years. I am located in the opposite side close to LA state line, about 7 1/2 hour rive.
Sorry couldn't help you much on your question.

Succ33d
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Mail seems to run a little slow out from the unit. I'm glad it is the "nice" unit. I hope they have some classes for him. He should know by now, but because mail runs slooooooow it takes a while to get updates. I won't get to visit until summer unfortunately.

Thanks for responding Deerwoman! :)

britecloud
01-13-2010, 11:02 AM
suc33d, you can go through JPAY and send email to him, and he'll get it the next day (provided you send it before noon). it's 44 cents a page.

just an fyi for ya- i know their mail does run real slow.

Succ33d
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks Britecloud! :) Seems like he gets my mail somewhat normal, but his mail to me takes forever and a day. I haven't heard from him in a week, and he's really good about writing me regularly. Before he got to Daniel, we haven't had any mail delays. Guess we have to take the bad with the good. I'm thankful he winded up there instead of the unit I thought he was on route for. I'm overseas, so I don't get phone calls. Mail is our only form of communication, so I get real restless when it takes too long (in my opinion :p) to get mail.

templeslady
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Girls,
just got back from daniels this weekend it was a long way from home my Husband got put there he says its ok real laid back the staff was very pleasant to me and helpfull to explain their rules LOL any one want a carpool next month let me know iam in crockett

britecloud
01-19-2010, 11:13 AM
ouch- you come an awful long way, temples!

GoodBI_girl
01-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Hi Everyone! I am new to the Daniel Unit and was spoiled with a letter is 3 days, now it's been 2 weeks.:( I'd love to email, but I didn't know the routine yet, does it work for AD SEG also? I am so wanting a picture or anything new but who knows.

Can we send think cards or musical cards for Valentine's day or birthdays? I figured not, but wanted to be sure.

About visits, if you use ASL sign language do the have someone to "listen" in on the visit? It is so far to go for a visit and he gets out in another 18 months but I'd like to try to get to TX and visit but don't know if they allow signing at the visit.

britecloud
01-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Hello, Gingertrail!

I have sent musical cards in the past, and the way Michael says it works is they call him down to the mailroom, let him listen to the card, and then take out the "music" part of the card. I don't know what a think card is, so I can't answer that one.

As far as the JPAY email, I use it all the time and I love it. If I email before noon he gets it that day. It's also cheap- 44 cents a page and I dont have to find an envelope, address it, wait, etc. SEG inmates still get mail, so I dont see why it would be any different with the email, as it is passed out with the regular mail every night. As of now they can't email back, though, so I still have to wait for his letters. I wouldnt think it would take two weeks for his letters to get to you, that's weird. I lived in NY state until recently and letters took 3 days to get to me. Now if youre talking about your letters to him, I know the mailroom tends to hold them a couple days, although every once in a while he gets them quick.

Now as far as the ASL, if you're deaf, I dont think they can prevent you from signing due to the ADA, but you can always call ahead of time and make sure. The staff there is for the most part very nice (there's one new lady that can be really rude, but she hardly ever answers), and the warden's secretary is topnotch.

Hope that helps...Michael's been on this unit for 3 years now, so I know a bit about it and I'm happy to answer any questions I can.

Take care

GoodBI_girl
01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Thank you. I hope all is well, this waiting is making me sick. I am so far away I really can't get there to see him. I will try the email, maybe something is happening, the last letter was very positive so we'll see. Thanks again for the info.

deerwoman
01-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Hang in there, Gingertrail, you'll get your letter. My son has been there since March or April of last year. We really don't have much problem with letters. If I send him e-mail, I usually get his letter 2 or 3 days later. Does he have envelopes and stamps? You can order paper & envelopes from Office Depot and have it sent to him.
Anyway, good luck.

templeslady
02-01-2010, 11:04 AM
This forum seems awfully quiet. Anyone else with someone there now? He has finally reached his final destination, and will probably serve the rest of his time there. He says it is a small prison, really laid back, and feels lucky to be there instead of the other places he could have gone to.

He is under the Amarillo board now, yes? Same as he was before. He seems to think he's under a different one though, and I can't find anything to back that up. Maybe I don't understand the process too well.

not sure about the board but will post as soon as i can find out do you have a long drive ?to see Him

babygirl254
02-01-2010, 01:22 PM
hello ladies just coming by to say hi and see how everyones doing??? im doing good just busy with work and i finally got a letter from my fiance :)!!!!! yes the mail is very slow right now but hopefully things get better! welcome gingertail i hope u get a letter soon i know it is nerve wrecking not reciving mail i just recently went with out mail from my fiance for three weeks due to a lock down but hang in there things will get better!

deerwoman
02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Hello babygirl,
Glad to hear you got your letter. After the escape attempt at Polunsky Unit in Livingston, I though maybe Daniel might go on lockdown. Does anybody know?
Have a good day.

britecloud
02-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Hello babygirl,
Glad to hear you got your letter. After the escape attempt at Polunsky Unit in Livingston, I though maybe Daniel might go on lockdown. Does anybody know?
Have a good day.

no they arent on lockdown

deerwoman
02-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Hello Everyone,
Is everybody having a good day?
My son celebrated his 31st birthday last Saturday. I made a home made birthday card and sent it to him. It was pictures of his girls and family. Below pics of aunts and uncles, everybody wrote in birthday wishes and little notes for him. I copied pictures onto regular paper and glue the pages together so hopefully he can get the card.
All those that are going up there for a visit be careful on the road.
Have a nice weekend.

GoodBI_girl
02-11-2010, 01:14 AM
I am very concerned about all the outbreaks of disease, is this a regular thing on the unit? Do they consult anyone about the procedures to disinfect things? I mean is it the food, the cells or what? Hate to be a worrywart about things.