View Full Version : JS Tarwater Center In Wetumpka

lace
02-06-2004, 11:51 AM
I heard on the news today where the old mental health building, J S Tarwater in Wetumpka is going to open and be used to house 200 female inmates from Julia Tutwiler Prison and some that were sent out of state that have alcohol and drug addictions. I can't find anything right now in the paper about it but I heard it on 101.1 "The Source" news.

DeniseJJ
02-06-2004, 11:58 AM
thanks Lace...you and the source....LLOL...are you one of those call in folks...just playin' around...i love the source...

there's been alot of talk about opening a nother womens prison...guess is good news but i'll bet you in a matter of months it will be overcrowded too....

built it and they will come!!!!

DeniseJ

GSPack
02-06-2004, 08:18 PM
For your info ladies!:

Riley Wants Inmates Treated at Tarwater

Montgomery---Gov.Riley's budget plans convertig a closed mental retardation center in Wetumpka into housing for femaleinmtes.

Riley's state finance director, Drayton Nabers, said the governor wants to use the Tarwater Center as a treatment center for 200 female inmates.

We dont have any rehalbilitation centers for drug and alcohol abuse," he told legislators at a budget breifing Thursday.

State Sen. Larry Dixon, who has the Tarwater Center in his district, applauded the decision.

"I was afraid Tarwater was going to sit there and deteriorate," Dixon, R-Montgomery, said.

Nabers said opening the center would help the prison system bring female inmates who are housess in Louisiana due to lack of space in Alabama's lone prison for women, which is also located in Wetumpka.

Lysbeth
02-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Hmmm. Well, I wonder if they still have that on the table for the Lurleen Wallace Center in Decatur for the male inmates too? Haven't heard anything about that in quite a while...

I'm all for any substance abuse treatment in prisons and especially facilities that are focused around it... any help is good help and something we don't see enough of in Alabama...