View Full Version : My son's 22nd Birthday

JMP's MOM
12-20-2009, 09:04 AM
I feel so bad!! Today is my son's 22nd birthday and he called me yesterday really disappointed because he didn't receive his birthday card I had sent. He went in on Dec 1st and I mailed his card and some money for him on tenth so he could buy from the commisary so he could have a little extra for his birthday and christmas and now he won't. He sounded absoutely discouraged, he hasn't received any letters from any of his friends and feels like since he is where he is at that people just forgot about him. I am just hoping that he will call today. I am not really even sure if I should say happy birthday, because I know it sure isn't a good day for either of us. Thanks- this is a nice place where you can let the emotions out.

angel mathews
12-20-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm sorry that he hasn't recieved his card from you yet..you would think that they would get there mail to them in a timely fashion...I will pray that he gets his mail soon as this will surly bring up his spirits (((((Hugs to Him)))) and a Happy Birthday too from me and God ((((Hugs)))) to you also, Angel

Ted's mom
12-20-2009, 11:59 AM
It is always frustrating to count on the delivery schedule. There is just no predicting it. no doubt though when he does receive the card he will get his spirits lifted. Maybe you can do something special for yourself today. Take a walk, watch a favorite movie, go buy a christmas gift for a child in need, any thing that might make your day special. Happy Birthday mom!

jancy
12-20-2009, 04:32 PM
congratulations on the 22cd anniversary of the birth of your son. May his next 22 years show you the rewards of your labor :)
your son will eventually get his stuff. it will teach him patience while he is in there. he has no other choice. not your fault that he did not get your card and money yet. people do tend to weed out when someone is incarcerated. my son has only one guy left from his childhood friends who stood by. oh well. I won't miss the others I know that! He can make new- more loyal -friends down the road.
remember my favorite saying:
It won't always be this way.
God bless!

amickeyfan
12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
It is so true that those that surrounded them when they were "out and free" are weeding themselves thin the longer they are in. :( In one way, it shows them just who they really can count on and hopefully when they do get out, they know just who to be around. My son commented that he hasn't gotten any Christmas cards, only from family. I told him not to expect any. If he gets them, fine, if not.. no biggie. Those that love him are the ones that count. :thumbsup:
When you speak to your son, wish him a happy birthday from me! :bday: I know he doesn't know me, but it may help him to know that you have friends that are thinking of him.....

:globe:

sag
12-21-2009, 06:39 AM
please private message your son's info -- so we can send him a new years card to cheer him up and let him know pepple are thinking of him!!

JMP's MOM
12-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Thank you for the birthday wishes!! Yes, as we all do I was feeling like I had really let my son down when he didn't receive his card in time and Thanks to the post from Ted's Mom I did take some time for myself today and went to a christmas program and while I was there some carollers sang Happy Birthday to a gentleman. Hearing this lifted my spirits. By the end of the evening I wasn't feeling as if it was my fault, I was feeling blessed

Mrs Misery
12-21-2009, 08:16 AM
I am so sorry for you. My son and I missed many of his birthdays but he knows why and he is sad about it but he knows it was not our foult. Tomorrow I may miss another sons birthday. Happy birthday to all of them and lets hope other years make it up for them.

Ted's mom
12-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Sooooo glad you enjoyed yourself. Music cheers me up every time - sometimes makes me cry too but leaves me feeling better. Glad you went.

Hurting Heart
12-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Every time I talk to my son he asks if anyone has called asking about him. It breaks my heart to tell him no. He does have an old girlfriend who has been wonderful about writing him regularly and another friend who keeps in touch with me.

He thought he had so many friends on the outside. The phone constantly rang for him and there was always kids around. I'm sure it has to bother him. It bothers me.

tinman228
12-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Every holiday is hard since my son went away. Especially Birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Heads up if your son is in a Federal prison we were told to send Postal money orders as those are credited to his account immediately. Otherwise they have to hold the funds until the money order clears. My mother in law sent her first one that she purchased at Wal-Mart and they held it almost 2 weeks. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Niki
12-22-2009, 01:15 AM
I feel so bad!! Today is my son's 22nd birthday and he called me yesterday really disappointed because he didn't receive his birthday card I had sent. He went in on Dec 1st and I mailed his card and some money for him on tenth so he could buy from the commisary so he could have a little extra for his birthday and christmas and now he won't. He sounded absoutely discouraged, he hasn't received any letters from any of his friends and feels like since he is where he is at that people just forgot about him. I am just hoping that he will call today. I am not really even sure if I should say happy birthday, because I know it sure isn't a good day for either of us. Thanks- this is a nice place where you can let the emotions out.

There's just no way to make sense of the prison mail system. Most of the delay comes after your card or letter arrives at the prison. Sometimes it takes them forever to sort the mail and then of course they have to read everything. But don't worry-eventually he will get your card and he will know that you sent it well in advance if he looks at the postmark. When my son first went to DOC I sent a letter out to him the next morning. He finally received it a little over 2 weeks later and it was the first piece of mail he had received. His wife and a friend also sent letters right away and he didn't get theirs for another week. He commented that he knew it wasn't our fault because he saw the postmarks. It is true that support from so-called friends will decrease with time. I got a Christmas card today from one of my son's childhood friends who has been in about 5 years. He thanked me for my occasional notes and cards and said that he doesn't hear from any of his friends anymore. I usually remind him that now he knows who his true friends are so when he gets out he will just have to make some new (and hopefully better) ones. But as long as you keep writing to your son and sending him some commissary money as you can at least he will always know that he has someone that cares. I, too, would be more than happy to send your son a note or a card if you'd like. Even though I don't know him personally I am sure I could say something to cheer him up. PM me his address if you want. Oh, and regarding what to say- I usually say something like have a peaceful day and know that you're one birthday (or Christmas, etc) closer to coming home where we can celebrate together.