View Full Version : Can writing a Letter to Judge help??

mommytotwins
11-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I would try here and hope to get some feedback.

Has anyone found that writing a letter to the judge who will be sentencing your loved one has helped?? Or does this do nothing to have the judge reconsider his sentence.

SarahAne
11-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Depends on if he took a plea, if he took a plea it probably wont do much. I wrote to the judge though prior to sentencing, even though my man took a plea, because we really were hoping he'd get shock. The judge DID recommend shock, but that doesn't guarantee he'll get in. My man didn't get in based on a very old escape charge he had. Based on that his judge did change his sentences from running consecutive (which was 3-9) to running concurrent (2-6).

It can't hurt as long as you're respectful and just "humanizing" your man and telling a little about yourself and your situation.

Kemper
11-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I wish I knew! My boyfriend is up on Friday for a Federal Probation Violation and they are recommending he do 21 to 27 months for a dirty urine and talking to another Felon at a store. I am going to the hearing and speaking to the judge but, from what his crappy pro bono attorney says, it will not do much good. I wish to God it would! The kids and I miss him horribly so, I know where you are coming from. Maybe someone else can give us advice. I wish you all the luck!

bratsfather
12-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi . How can i contact Judge Rose in Dayton Ohio ? My daughter is getting out in 6 weeks and going back to the suspicious characters that are part of the family she got in trouble with before . She was going to her mother -who needs help - but changed her mind at the last second . I would like to have the Judge send her to her mother . The people are real real bad she's going back to.
Thanks , Brats father .

Joshua's Mom
12-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi, I wrote a letter to the judge about my son, along with other family members. My son's lawyer read through them and picked out four to give to the judge. At my son's sentencing the judge mentioned the letters and said he saw through the letters that my son had lots of family support to help him, and lots of people who loved and cared for him. He also mentioned that so many people showing up at his sentencing (15 of us) proved to him that we truly supported and loved him. My son was given a lighter sentence than exptected, so I truly believe the letters did help. I say send the letters, but have the lawyer read them first to make sure you didn't inadvertenly put something in them that would harm him. Good luck to you and yours.

Gryphon
12-02-2009, 04:17 PM
If the judge is on the fence about what the sentence should be, if there's going to be an argument about the right thing to do: a letter might help.

Letters seldom have any impact if it is an agreed upon sentence.

Letters can also hurt. They can cause plea agreements to be rejected, and can cause defendants to recieve more time. Every once in a while, a letter that was meant to help in fact puts a torpedo into the case. That's why I always suggest seding support letters via the defense attorney.

I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I would try here and hope to get some feedback.

Has anyone found that writing a letter to the judge who will be sentencing your loved one has helped?? Or does this do nothing to have the judge reconsider his sentence.

Dar99
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
per advice of a not so good PD my son did open plea in hopes to get into a drug program that he was accepted into but waiting for the sentence. Judge said he could not read our letters yet he took all the garbage the state attorney told him whether it true or not.I was the spokesperson and I barely got words out, the judge got angry with me, never gave me chance to finish what I was trying to say and dismissed me to sit down. So my son wound up with an even harsher sentence than the state recommend.. I though educated people understood you have to treat addictions... it also has taken away my sons chance to join the navy... I told him this will follow up for the rest of his life... it just does not seem fair,,,,,,

onemorestep
12-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Letters were helpful for my DH. Each was sent through his attorney, and each letter included the writer's relationship to DH, and some specific examples of his good character. Per the attorney, it's important to NOT argue innocence. Just let the judge know you are aware of the charges.

willowcb
12-29-2009, 12:23 PM
What if you're not sure the court-appointed lawyer will truly get the letters to the judge? Send them to the judge yourself AND to the attorney?

Gryphon
12-30-2009, 11:22 PM
My experience is that if you send letters to the judge, they simply send a copy to both lawyers and don't read them. The net effect is that it doesn't help but might hurt. When the defense lawyer submits them, teh Judge reads them fearing that the defense lawyer will reference the material and they'll need to not look stupid.
The defendant can ask the lawyer if the letters were received and then reviewed by the Judge. The judge will usually make a record of everything that was reviewed. If the judge doesn't do that, teh client can ask teh lawyer to ask the judge if the letters were reviewed.
It helps a lot if the Defendant has a list of letters that should have been submitted to the court.

What if you're not sure the court-appointed lawyer will truly get the letters to the judge? Send them to the judge yourself AND to the attorney?

Wooly Rhino
12-31-2009, 08:19 PM
It is my understanding that a Judge reading a letter would be taking evidence outside of the courtroom and would be wrong of him or her to do so. I do not see it being against the rules for you to write but I believe it would be a waste of your time.

Now, if you are wanting to write Judge Dennis Rolfe of Saline County, Missouri, he is too stupid to read. One of the dirty little secrets is that in some Counties they get lawyers who cannot make a living at law run for Judge. I personally believe that Judge Dennis Rolfe attended Law School by riding a short bus to class and his degree is sign in crayola.

dcbest
01-01-2010, 05:35 PM
It is my opinion, that all courts need to take a 360 on how they OPERATE....it's downright absurd!! ( family/criminal-horrible nightmares)

i.e. watching judges make judgements on situations that take 30 seconds?? excuse me, humans deserve to be heard, judges ruin lives!!
and should be held accountable for their decisions, for they are just as much a crime, to ignore THE CONSEQUENCES and effects on human beings souls and emotions...and the selfish greed of politicians, and LACK OF FUNDING!! I pay taxes for a dysfunctional system!

there should be extensive mental health, social workers, etc., addressing situations in the courtroom!! this country is backwards, and no better than the days of hangings, and torture!! the same holds for police officers who are mostly aggressive, and judgemental w/out any knowledge of mental health issues... it is a decline in society..and always will be, unless real help is offered to so called "criminals"... families need to come together, and not be ruled by shame....we are intimidated and pushed around to feel like low life's!! and blamed in their blind eyes!

does this make sense to anyone??? sorry, im just really FRUSTRATED!!!!
i've been dealing with nasty mood disorder court personnel, overwhelmed with the amount of cases, and lack of hiring more employees, and can't believe they think this works??? is outrageously corrupt with greed and abuse!! im just going to pray! these are not my higher powers, they are earthly humans full of fault! (and bless the ones who really care about their positions in society)!