View Full Version : Does Time In Suffolk County Jail Count Towards Merit Time

debnyc
11-28-2009, 10:59 PM
My guy was recently sentenced to 1 3/4 to 4 years for his third DUI. He has spent 10 months in Suffolk County Jail. He was arrested in Jan 23, 2009. Last week he pled guilty to the DUI charge (his attorney was of no use) and is waiting to be transferred to prison. It is my understating that he will go to Reception and then on to probably Gowanda as that is where all the DUIs in New York go. The question is does that 10 months he served in Suffolk County Jail (Riverhead and Yaphank) count towards his sentence and merit?
He is going to try for ASAT and CASAT, but I read that there is a DUI program that allows for early release. Also, can he serve his parole in New Jersey as that is where he amd I lived prior to his offense. I am still in New Jersey. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Momma Ann
11-29-2009, 07:44 AM
he will go to Gowanda-they do have Shock-but for some reason they do not seem to take too many DWIs into Shock (others may comment and know more on this). You are correct that he will end up in Gowanda. I think most DWIs serve about 2 years of their sentences. He will be enrolled in a program at Gowanda--so ASAT and CASAT and voluntary enrollment in it will not be an option for him. To parole to NJ, he will have to complete the Interstate Compact paperwork and be accepted into NJ. That is done closer to release.My guy was recently sentenced to 1 3/4 to 4 years for his third DUI. He has spent 10 months in Suffolk County Jail. He was arrested in Jan 23, 2009. Last week he pled guilty to the DUI charge (his attorney was of no use) and is waiting to be transferred to prison. It is my understating that he will go to Reception and then on to probably Gowanda as that is where all the DUIs in New York go. The question is does that 10 months he served in Suffolk County Jail (Riverhead and Yaphank) count towards his sentence and merit?
He is going to try for ASAT and CASAT, but I read that there is a DUI program that allows for early release. Also, can he serve his parole in New Jersey as that is where he amd I lived prior to his offense. I am still in New Jersey. Any information is greatly appreciated.

BF'sGF
11-29-2009, 10:29 AM
all dwi's in new york do not go to gowanda - my friend is at mt. mcgregor for a dwi and there are others there for dwi's as well.

Momma Ann
11-29-2009, 03:40 PM
dwis go to Gowanda. There are exceptions.

SarahAne
11-30-2009, 03:04 PM
he will go to Gowanda-they do have Shock-but for some reason they do not seem to take too many DWIs into Shock (others may comment and know more on this). You are correct that he will end up in Gowanda. I think most DWIs serve about 2 years of their sentences. He will be enrolled in a program at Gowanda--so ASAT and CASAT and voluntary enrollment in it will not be an option for him. To parole to NJ, he will have to complete the Interstate Compact paperwork and be accepted into NJ. That is done closer to release.

The only 2 guys i know that DID do shock were in for their 3rd DWIs.

mommytotwins
12-02-2009, 07:33 AM
all dwi's in new york do not go to gowanda - my friend is at mt. mcgregor for a dwi and there are others there for dwi's as well.

I was also told Gowanda was his only choice ...It happens to be FIVE hours away. So you are certain Mt. Mcregor has one. That is so close to me. Could he mention that to someone at reception?

BF'sGF
12-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I was also told Gowanda was his only choice ...It happens to be FIVE hours away. So you are certain Mt. Mcregor has one. That is so close to me. Could he mention that to someone at reception?

he did ASAT at mt. mcgregor, phase 1, 2 and 3. not sure about CASAT or what the difference is between the two. maybe someone else could explain the differences. he applied for shock and was denied and also applied for a transfer closer to home (mt. mcgregor is 5 hours away from us) and was denied that as well. gowanda is not listed as a shock facility on the docs website and not sure if a dwi would qualify someone for shock at another facility.

Paralegal USA
12-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Gowanda is only accredited DWI program in entire state.

Gowanda does not have Shock [rogram.

Most DWIs are kept until their CR date. On 4 year max, that would be 32 months.