View Full Version : This cant be legal! He got a new cellie w/ medical issues

aebswoman4ever
11-24-2009, 11:45 PM
So I'm not sure if this is in the right forum but here goes..

My man was without a celly for awhile until jus recently he tells me he got one. BUT this cannot be ok..his celly has a colostomy bag! Don't they have to put inmates with medical conditions..like this one..in a single cell??

I am beyond worried n pissed off!! This dude in his cell could have hepatitis n here he is dumpin his s*** filled bag down the sink..yep the sink..my man can no longer use his sink. That is DISGUSTING! Really how can they do this?? Is it even legal?? There is so many health n safety risks now that my man is posed to n I'm not ok with this!

Is there anything I can do?? Omg if he comes out with hepatitis or AIDs cuz they stuck him in a cell with an inmate with this medical condition IDK what I'd do..sue em for everything they got.

This is awful n now I'm gonna have nightmares about it! WTF would all u ladies do if ur man told u this?? I think they're screwin with him for real..I mean why would they do this? UGH!

(Not bashing on the inmate with a medical condition..ppl got things goin on n I'm sorry. But my man does NOT have to be subjected to this!)

JCJP2009
11-24-2009, 11:53 PM
I don't want to bash on people with medical problems either but is there some reason that the cellie can't dump his bag in the toilet instead of the sink? It just seems like common sense that you would put it in the toilet...

Jillian
11-25-2009, 12:12 AM
While i understand you being upset that they put someone with a major health issue in the cell with your husband,because that inmate should be in a location where he can get the proper care he deserves. Why do you feel like he will catch something like Aids or hepatitis, does this man have one of these diseases?

Here are reasons person have colostomy : * A section of the colon has been removed, e.g. due to colon cancer requiring a total mesorectal excision, diverticulitis, injury, etc, so that it is no longer possible for feces to exit via the anus.
* A portion of the colon (or large intestine) has been operated upon and needs to be 'rested' until it is healed. In this case, the colostomy is often temporary and is usually reversed at a later date, leaving the patient with a small scar in place of the stoma. Children undergoing surgery for extensive pelvic tumors commonly are given a colostomy in preparation for surgery to remove the tumor, followed by reversal of the colostomy.

aebswoman4ever
11-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Yea u'd think he'd dump it in the toilet..it is common sense but my man told me he dumps it out in the sink n doesn't even clean it out!

I have no idea if the other inmate has any diseases..I know nothing of him besides the fact he has a colostomy n how he disposes of it. Idk if they have to disclose this info to the other inmates BUT if he does have it my man is being exposed to this n that is a huge deal. I told him to keep his distance..as much as he can bein lockd up in a cell with the man.

Jillian
11-25-2009, 12:34 AM
I am going to move this to your loved one state forum where you can get advice from others who are familiar with the working of that state doc policies on things of this nature.

Jillian
11-25-2009, 08:05 PM
For information you may want to contact these people:

Warden, Mike Mahoney: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2200;
Deputy Warden, Ross Swanson: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2377;
Health Services Bureau Chief, Cathy Redfern: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2448;

jeffsbaby
11-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I work in a nursing home and we have 2 people to a room and some of them have "bags", so it is safe for your hubby to be in there without catching anything. They will not be able to tell your hubby anything because of the HIPPA laws. Most of the time it is for cancer. Now having a bag is one thing and emptying it in the toilet is usually not a problem however, in the sink is a HUGE infection control issue no matter what anyone has. There has to be someone who you can talk to. I would not make the fact that he has the bag a big deal but, where he is emptying it could cause a problem and make both of them very very sick. When he got the bag they had to tell him about the proper way to dispose and empty the bag to not spread any type of infection.

KeithsWifeyxOx
11-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the DOC actually gave a care about what's legal and what's not? Fact of the matter is, they don't. All you can do is try to handle it the best you can. Try contacting the prison and voicing your concern. It may take ten times, but who cares...If you feel that strongly, you'll go above and beyond to prove your point for your man's safety and your own at that.

The DOC doesn't always abide by laws and regulations as they should. On some blocks where Keith is, they don't even feed the inmates at times. It's wrong, disturbing, inhumane, and the only way something can be done to draw notice is if you say something. I wouldn't say it has a HUGE impact, but it does startle them a bit and gets things done.

They had Keith going without a pillow, blanket, or sheet for a week. He was sleeping on steel. I called about four or five times, and INSTANTLY he got what he needed. Just stay on them about it and DON'T GIVE UP no matter how insignificant they make you feel with their condescending attitudes...Which most likely they will do.

BlueEyedEllie
11-25-2009, 10:23 PM
I've emptied colostomy bags many times and aides and hep. c aren't the issue.the dumping the contents in the sink is a HUGE infection control issue.i would contact the warden immediately.that is so nasty (that he cleans it out in the sink!!) does he have no consideration at all????

dmf
12-01-2009, 10:25 AM
They don't have to put people with medical issues in a single cell...a lot of times there isn't much choice unless they do a lot of moving around which they usually don't want to have to do. They also aren't going to tell your guy anything cause of HIPPA, but all he has to do is put in a request to move. If he tells them why, maybe they'll get it done the next time they make the moves. I don't know how moves are done at Deer Lodge, but at Crossroads they tended to make moves once a week. Just tell him to hang in there, but definitely bring up that the guy is dumping it in the sink!

jellobean
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
This isn't really an issue of the man having a single-cell or colostomy bag. The colostomy bag in and of itself is not an issue, they are perfectly sanitary when worn properly. The issue is that he is cleaning it out in the sink. Has he had the colostomy bag for a while or only since he's gone to jail? He should be informed how to clean it out properly, and if that doesn't happen, your man should be moved to a different cell, as the fact that he cleans it in the sink is, like others said, an infection control issue.

aebswoman4ever
12-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanx all of u! Well I did call up a buncha x's an even left a msg wit the warden who acourse didn't call back an who knows even listened to the msg! But dude got moved outta my mans cell cuz my man caught him stealin from him an then dude didn't feel safe after he got caught an refused to go back in the cell so he got sent to the hole an will not b joinin my man in his cell again! Hopefully dude gets taught how to clean that dang thing out properly too cuz my god nobodys gonna wanna house wit him!