View Full Version : Confused about Length of Sentence and Actual Time Served

Paisley23
11-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi, I'm new to the NJ board. My son is currently in Cape May County jail and was sentenced last week to a 3 flat. I assume he'll now be sent to CRAF.

In reading many of the posts here, I notice that many do not serve out the sentence.

Can someone give me some idea of the range of time actually served for a sentence of 3 flat for a non-violent crime?

Also, how long does it take before he's moved to CRAF and how long does an inmate usually spend at CRAF for classification?

Thanks,

Paisley

bean123
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
you serve roughly 9 months for every year sentenced. he should max out after about 27 months.

ForMyBoy
11-23-2009, 03:46 PM
A lot depends on his custody status credits, work credits, jail credits. He wouldn't do 3 years. Everybody gets good time taken right at the beginning that can only be lost if he gets into trouble.

Yes, he'll go to CRAF to be classified and assigned his home prison. There's really no way to tell how long he'll be in county, it depends alot on how much room there is available at CRAF. Again it's hard to say how long he'll be at CRAF, it depends on his assigned prison and if they have room.
There are alot of unknowns here. All you can really do is take it day by day.

Hopefully soon. The sooner he gets classified, the sooner he'll start the process home.

Welcome. My son was in the system and got out in July after doing 22 months of a 3 flat.

Paisley23
11-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you for your responses.

We're, of course, hoping he doesn't have to max out. So, my next question is what would be the least amount of time he might have to serve on a 3 flat?

BarciaBrady
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I think it depends on the charges. Mine was only at county 2 weeks and then at CRAF 8 days. I hope your son gets right out of CRAF. Is it an offense that he can be eligible for ISP?

Paisley23
11-23-2009, 05:18 PM
It's a theft offense that is about 11 years old. What is ISP?

bean123
11-23-2009, 06:23 PM
ISP is an early release program. if his theft charge was non violent he will be eligible to apply for ISP. its similar to parole but much more strict.

the most days he can get off per month is 11 days i think. im not sure what that breaks down to as far as maxing out goes. if you get 7 days off a month you serve roughly 9 months for every year you were sentenced...thats where my first assumption came from for the record lol.

7 days off per month is medium security, which many guys fall under. if he falls under minimum security he will get up to 11 days off a month and his max out will come around much faster.

he should also be eligible for parole after 9 months and 27 days.

like formyboy said...theres no set time frame in which he has to transfer to craf so whenever the jail wants to take him is when he will go. some county jails (like the smaller ones or ones further from trenton) wait till they have a decent amount of guys to transfer so they do it every 6 weeks or so. some do it weekly. some have so many guys waiting and can only take say 10 at a time so he may be number 50 on a list and itll be a while before he can go. i dont think the severity of the crime matters. my friend was sentenced in the same county as my babes and a week after my babes. he was charged with manslaughter and it took like 2 1/2 months for him to transfer to craf. james was charged with theft and transferred after 3 weeks.

depending on where he is going once he gets classified at craf he can transfer anywhere from a week to a few months later. it all depends on distance from craf and if a bed is open. classification at craf takes about a week.

jasmine29
11-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Paisley, I'm a little late to this thread, but just wanted to throw in my two cents. You're asking about the least possible amount of time that he could serve on the three flat. While I'm in no way knocking optimism, I just wanted to say that the DOC throws all sorts of wrenches in your best-laid plans. He theoretically COULD get out after X months if everything goes perfectly... but more than likely, things won't go perfectly. The best thing you can do at this point is take a deep breath and realize that things are completely out of your hands and 100 percent within the DOC's control. He could do just a few months if he gets out on ISP. He could do a year if he's eligible for parole. He could get a hit - many guys get hits on their first time in front of the parole board - and come home in a year and a half. He might have to max out. You just never know. In dealing with the DOC, I've found it best to think in terms of the worst possible scenario - that way you can only be happily surprised if they don't totally screw things up.