View Full Version : Phonecalls from Wayne County Jail

r3n3gad
11-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi,
Hubby is currently in WCJ and has been there for a month. We have yet to be able to talk on the phone for several reasons. I did set up an account with PCStelcom because apparently that's the only way to get calls. I was wondering about their rates from WCJ for both collect calls and prepaid. They charge almost $7 to add money to the prepaid every time, but if the rates are cheaper then that may be better than collect. Can anyone tell me what they are paying for calls, how long they are allowed to talk, and/or if there is any other way to get calls besides going through the PCStelcom system? I hate to say it but I can't wait until he gets to prison because I will at least get to see him face to face and the calls will be SO much cheaper! Looks like he's going to be in WCJ for a while though.
Thanks!
~Michelle aka R3n3gad

pridenjoinlyfe
12-03-2009, 02:17 PM
I recently set-up an account. Intially I put $25.00 in and PCS charged me $8 to process. It's $3.45 to connect the call and .27 per minute. I don't know how long they can talk. I too am new to this so we're trying to get a feel for which is more cost effective: calling card (inmate) collect calls or the prepaid through PCS.

We'll keep each other posted. My sweetie will be there a few more weeks also I believe.

PJEL

r3n3gad
12-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info. That's actually a little cheaper than I was anticipating. I still have not received a call because we had to make a change to the phone #. I was not charged a fee to set up with PCS, but perhaps they will charge me at some other time. I'm not sure either if they will limit my hubby's time because he us at level II security in the infirmary. He's going to be in WCJ for a while for several reasons, so he's going to have to learn to write more. : ) Can't wait until he's moved to a DOC facility, but it looks like it's going to be months. *sigh*

pinay19
02-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi i just set up an account at PCS and my situation is quite different because i'm in Canada right now. The operator told me that service charge is $3.29 and .30 per minute.Maximum call is 15 mins which cost $ 7.49. I'm not really sure about this because the operator doesn't seem to know what he is talking about. I might be charged higher rate because im in Canada. I set up an account with my canadian number and my mother in law is going to pay for it who is in US. they don't accept Canadian credit card.

r3n3gad
02-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi! not sure about how much calls are going to be to Canada, but the price that was quoted is correct for a pre-paid domestic call. We did find out that if I send him the money and he gets his own debit card it's about half the price for a call, so that's what we switched to. I also found that the people I spoke to in customer service weren't really helpful, mostly because, quite frankly, they didn't understand much English. I did have one situation where I got a call (about an e-mail I sent) FROM PCS that was from the states, and that was VERY helpful, but good luck with that.

pinay19
03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
hello! the price they gave me was correct. they charge $7.50 for 15 mins call.

r3n3gad
03-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Ouch. I know that adds up fast. If it didn't take 2 weeks on average for a letter to get to him or from him to me we would do a lot more writing. I'm glad for the $4 calls we have for that reason. It's still more than double the cost of a call from a DOC facility, but it'll have to do for now. Sorry that you are going to apparently have to suffer through. :(

sisnik
03-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi,
Hubby is currently in WCJ and has been there for a month. We have yet to be able to talk on the phone for several reasons. I did set up an account with PCStelcom because apparently that's the only way to get calls. I was wondering about their rates from WCJ for both collect calls and prepaid. They charge almost $7 to add money to the prepaid every time, but if the rates are cheaper then that may be better than collect. Can anyone tell me what they are paying for calls, how long they are allowed to talk, and/or if there is any other way to get calls besides going through the PCStelcom system? I hate to say it but I can't wait until he gets to prison because I will at least get to see him face to face and the calls will be SO much cheaper! Looks like he's going to be in WCJ for a while though.
Thanks!
~Michelle aka R3n3gad

Hey there I have CBS and I was able to get a call from someone in the WCJ so Im not sure why they said you can only use PCS. I would double check on that. Actually when my bf was in OCJ the calls were $15 for 15 min with CBS so PCS is the cheaper way to go.

r3n3gad
03-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Hey there I have CBS and I was able to get a call from someone in the WCJ so Im not sure why they said you can only use PCS. I would double check on that. Actually when my bf was in OCJ the calls were $15 for 15 min with CBS so PCS is the cheaper way to go.

Did they call you collect or did CBS bill you? If CBS billed you for the call then I'm not sure what's up because my CBS account is active because I get calls from a friend in prison (less than $2 for 15 min). If your loved one has a prepaid debit card from the jail for calls (like we are doing for my hubby because it's cheaper) and they use that, or they call collect, then they can call anyone on their call list without them having to have a PCS account. My hubby couldn't call collect because I have a VOIP phone system and they don't support collect calls.
*ouch* on the OCJ calls. I think that's about what his grandma is paying when he calls her collect now and then. OCJ doesn't use PCS, but hopefully they will get on board because $15 is insane.
As with everything phone-related, things seem to change without much notice and for no apparent reason. Heck, it seems to be that way with the DOC period. LOL! What a convoluted mess.:rolleyes:

sisnik
03-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Did they call you collect or did CBS bill you? If CBS billed you for the call then I'm not sure what's up because my CBS account is active because I get calls from a friend in prison (less than $2 for 15 min). If your loved one has a prepaid debit card from the jail for calls (like we are doing for my hubby because it's cheaper) and they use that, or they call collect, then they can call anyone on their call list without them having to have a PCS account. My hubby couldn't call collect because I have a VOIP phone system and they don't support collect calls.
*ouch* on the OCJ calls. I think that's about what his grandma is paying when he calls her collect now and then. OCJ doesn't use PCS, but hopefully they will get on board because $15 is insane.
As with everything phone-related, things seem to change without much notice and for no apparent reason. Heck, it seems to be that way with the DOC period. LOL! What a convoluted mess.:rolleyes:

They called me collect on my cell phone, but I wasn't able to answer so they left one of those utomated messages saying that I was receiving a collect call from WCJ.

sisnik

tinytk
09-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Today I guess he tried calling for the first time, to my cell - should I have him try calling the house line? How much is it if it's a collect call? I've never even dealt with a collect call from a pay phone. How long does it usually take for letters to get back & forth? He's in clinton county jail, but should be in wayne county. put in clinton because of overcrowding, I guess. I don't even know what exactly he did, his family won't tell me anything other then the address, & not how to make sure it gets to him - do I just address it as a normal address or do I need to put some sort of inmate number (that I don't have!)?