View Full Version : Warrant issued for arrest: What to expect?

momforlife
11-19-2009, 11:47 PM
A warrant has been issued for my son's arrest because of a revocation of probation. Does anyone know about the timeframe on these things? Do they knock on your door within a week or so or does it just get put off as low priority? What do I say when they come looking for him? Will I get in trouble because I don't turn him in? Sorry for so many questions. I have never been in this situation before.

RobinsMan
11-20-2009, 07:06 AM
I don't know if they will jump up and go looking for him because of a revocation warrant. That might depend too much on work load of the PO or Sheriff's office or how those two work together for anyone to guess how it will play out. I also think that what they might do should they decide that you are deliberately hindering them in locating him is probably a function of just who it is that might show up to ask you about him. Just to let you know to what extreme some cops take things, there was a woman in jail in Galveston when Robin was there because her neighbor from across the street was over one morning drinking coffee in her kitchen which they did most every day. Turned out the woman had an arrrest warrant out for her and when the police showed up to look for her they came and knocked on her door to ask if she knew about her. Well, there she was and the police arrested the neighbor for harboring a fugitive. At least, that's was her story. I have no idea if the charges ended up sticking or how it worked out. My guess is that the police get a lot of "I dunno"s from family when they go looking for people. If he lives with you and he is home when someone comes looking for him you should probably let them know he is there. Anything else will simply delay the inevitable and risks making problems for you and you will best be able to help him if you are not caught up in your own problems.

WilcoMom
11-20-2009, 08:54 AM
My friend's son 'hid' for more than a year before he finally turned himself in. They did watch her house, and knock on her door from time to time, but never came through the house searching. She was told if they caught him there she and everyone in the house at the time would be arrested for harbouring a fugitive. She was also told if he turned himself in it would go much easier on him. He eventually did turn himself in, realizing that he just wanted to get on with his life without this hanging over his head. He served a vew months in county, is now off paper and is soooooooo glad to have this behind him. My advice to your son would be to do the same as quickly as possible. The fear of what could happen is so much worse than reality.

KiKi2three
11-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I think it just depends on where you live! In my son's case, he had a warrant for his arrest for violation of probation...he never hid and knew about the warrant for 5 days before he went out in the driveway and the police pulled up. He walked back in the house and they came in after him, held a gun to my daughter in laws head, while my 2 y/o granddaughter looked on. Granddaughter was upset, but only because they interrupted Dora the Explorer...haha!!

Anyway, the got him in my bedroom and slammed him to the ground with a gun to the side of his head. This kid had never hid from them. We found out a few days later he was on the front page of Crime Stoppers most wanted...along with a rapist, someone wanted for aggravated assault, and someone with another heinous crime...and then you have my son who was wanted for violation of probation......we have had many laughs about that one. In fact, we threw a Crime Stoppers most wanted going away party before he went to court, and I made a poster up with his mug shot and the crime stopper statement, "This fugitive may be considered possibly armed and extremely dangerous, do not attempt to apprehend this fugitive."
Everyone signed it, and my daughter had it framed. Oh yeah.....he was worth a $250 reward too.. I figure someone turned him in, but he was always easy to find.

So....long story short, it will just depend on where you live and how the law enforcement is there.

strawberry6977
11-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I would think it would be best for him to turn himself in...that would probably show good in the eyes of the judge. If you think about it, most "fugitives" don't turn themselves in...they hide or run.

eb2009
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
If a person has a felony warrant and they are at your house you are harboring a fugitive which is a felony. I know how you feel. I'm so sorry for your situation.

retired-37
11-21-2009, 11:04 PM
A warrant has been issued for my son's arrest because of a revocation of probation. Does anyone know about the timeframe on these things? Do they knock on your door within a week or so or does it just get put off as low priority? What do I say when they come looking for him? Will I get in trouble because I don't turn him in? Sorry for so many questions. I have never been in this situation before.

I am so sorry that you have to be in this situation to begin with. However yes, 'they' can and will knock on your door....eventually. 'They' can charge you for hindering in his apprehension. 'They' will usually knock on the door when 'they' know or suspect he is there. And, no this will NOT go away regardless of priority status. I would urge him to turn himself in, or hide in a less conspicuous place....the mother's house is always the first place 'they' look.....andy

KiKi2three
11-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Tell him to turn himself in...that is too much stress for you AND him to live under, and just not worth it. Just get it over with and get him back.......that is my opinion.

Onaicult
11-22-2009, 09:21 PM
I agree, he should turn himself in. He may get by under the rader for a few days, or even a few years, but eventually something will happen. My fiance was under the radar for two years until his ex got mad at him and turned him in. They seem to go rougher on you if they find you vs turning yourself in

FredIam
11-22-2009, 10:51 PM
They sent the whole damn force to my house looking for my son... my daughter explained that we were out of town..they asked to come in and look she allowed it...and called us at the same time...and while speaking to the lead cop he told me it would be best if he turned himself in because any law enforcement agency that found him would probably hurt him...I in so many words told him then it is a good thing we were out of town because not all cops were like him and to get out of my house...that we would be calling the county that issued the warrant and arrange for him to turn himself in there...keep in mind that we live in a VERY small town...so I see this fool around from time to time...lmao! AND they cut the budget and he is no longer a cop here.

Ummm...and the warrant was issued on a Wed and they were here that day.
But not all PD and SO offices wanna play bad ass. I have always said in this county if they can't play bad ass or make money off of it...they aren't interested. And a recent horrible tragedy proved my point. Measure you agencies.... but it will look better if he turns himself in.

KiKi2three
11-22-2009, 11:15 PM
They sent the whole damn force to my house looking for my son... my daughter explained that we were out of town..they asked to come in and look she allowed it...and called us at the same time...and while speaking to the lead cop he told me it would be best if he turned himself in because any law enforcement agency that found him would probably hurt him...I in so many words told him then it is a good thing we were out of town because not all cops were like him and to get out of my house...that we would be calling the county that issued the warrant and arrange for him to turn himself in there...keep in mind that we live in a VERY small town...so I see this fool around from time to time...lmao! AND they cut the budget and he is no longer a cop here.

Ummm...and the warrant was issued on a Wed and they were here that day.
But not all PD and SO offices wanna play bad ass. I have always said in this county if they can't play bad ass or make money off of it...they aren't interested. And a recent horrible tragedy proved my point. Measure you agencies.... but it will look better if he turns himself in.

Are we from the same county???:eek::eek::D

WilcoMom
11-22-2009, 11:39 PM
It's not just the county that's overly aggressive. The city cops can be bad ass too.

momforlife
11-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Wow, you all are scaring me. He is being so stubborn and thinks by not turning himself in, he is "winning" against his probation officer. All he wants to do is smoke pot every day. It is really depressing. I am even afraid he may get a hairbrained idea to run away with his stupid enabling friend who has a car. I just don't know what I will do when that knock comes at the door. I am having nightmares about it. Visions of the show "Cops" where they come in and bash the door in and pull out their guns. Maybe even get out the taser gun. Boy, being a parent just doesn't get any easier does it? I do appreciate all the advice and stories from you all.

RobinsMan
11-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Pot does that to a person ... nothing is real, nothing matters. A person cannot preceive of such a thing as the "future". Only thing they are consious of is their immediate surroundings and the immediate moment. If he thinks he is winning against his PO then it seems plain to me that he doesn't really understand just where his actions are taking him. After they have caught him and he I sobering up in jail, or maybe prison, he may, even then, still not understand, instead blaming every cop, judge and DA for what happened to him rather than himself. I hope the exprience provides a wake up call rather than turning him bitter.

strawberry6977
11-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi momforlife -
What you see on "Cops" is worst case scenerio most of the time...they show the situations that gets viewers to watch. Unfortunately I have had the "misprivelege" of encountering law enforcement looking for someone on several occassions. One time they probably had every right to barge in with their guns...but they didnt. They were looking for my husband for evading arrest. Mind you, they had 6 police cars speed up to the house...but they came in calmly and asked him to step outside. If they had barged in with guns around my newborn, I wouldve opened up a serious can of temper. Second time was for a warrant...they didn't barge in nor did they use guns. My husband was in rehab, but since he had gotten the evading arrest charge immediately prior to going to rehab, they revoked his bond for the DWI charge...then the judge sent his posse to our house just to make sure he wasn't there. Scared the begezus out of my Mom who was changing my son's diaper in his room...just because she had never been that close to a Cop before. But they were calm and had no guns drawn.

So, while I still advise he turn himself in... I am trying to re-assure you it won't be a scary or dangerous situation, unless he gives them reason to make it that way (aka fighting them, resisting arrest, etc). His Probation Officer will "win" one way or another...he is just prolonging the inevitable. The Judge will have more respect for him if he turns himself in, he can just get it over with, and he can choose a convenient time/wardrobe to go to jail in. When my husband finished his rehab, I drove him to the jail and he turned himself in. It was very peaceful - he chose what he was going to wear, made sure he had a nice big breakfast before going in, and said his goodbye's.

FredIam
11-23-2009, 11:02 AM
It's not just the county that's overly aggressive. The city cops can be bad ass too.

LOL... I had to bite my tongue with the guy I was on the phone with...he introduced himself as the "Chief of Police with the City of Blah Blah, Texas"

Took everything I had not to tell him "of course you are the chief of police, you are the ONLY one on the force in our fine "city". :D

We've only had a "city" cop for about a year... he was originally hired to take care of ordinance violations... our little town still looks like chit. Guess that is why he was budgeted out.

kellye I was raised not too far from where you are...and I have been there...and yes I think they all had to be in the same classroom together or something...

KiKi2three
11-23-2009, 11:10 AM
LOL... I had to bite my tongue with the guy I was on the phone with...he introduced himself as the "Chief of Police with the City of Blah Blah, Texas"

Took everything I had not to tell him "of course you are the chief of police, you are the ONLY one on the force in our fine "city". :D

We've only had a "city" cop for about a year... he was originally hired to take care of ordinance violations... our little town still looks like chit. Guess that is why he was budgeted out.

kellye I was raised not too far from where you are...and I have been there...and yes I think they all had to be in the same classroom together or something...

I was raised not too far from where I am too.....little 2A town on the E side of Big Spring.

Tracy
11-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Listen, he needs to turn himself in. My son quit going to his probation and had a warrant out for him for awhile. I didn't know this, but had the Momma feeling that we get, and sure enough, it was true. He was living in Austin but the warrant was in Bexar county where his original charge was. He got picked up on a Public Intox and next thing we knew it was three days later and noone could find him..they shipped him back to Bexar county.

They call it "absconding" and our attorney told us that is the worst thing a person can do. They won't even hear of reinstating probation, most times. Which is what I wanted. My son wanted to do his time and get this over. He said it was weighing on him every day (still didn't make him do the right thing). He was working...had a paycheck in his name, lived in the same place for a couple of years, so they didn't look too hard for him, but still. It catches up with you. No matter what.

I feel bad for you...it's a difficult situation to say the least and the outcome doesn't look good any way you look at it.

I hope that he will turn himself in....that in itself has to look better than them tracking him down.

All the best to you and let us know how its going.

momforlife
12-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Well, the knock on the door came yesterday morning at 10:00 a.m. My son was taken away without incident. Don't know much more as there was no bond to post. I believe we have decided to let him stay in jail just to keep him safe. I appreciate all of your comments. I am relieved and sad at the same time. He was making plans for Christmas as he thought he could make it til the first of the year. Anyway, there won't be any celebrating in our house for awhile.:(

WilcoMom
12-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Mom ... YES! THERE IS CELEBRATION!

He is ALIVE! He is SAFE! He has another day/week/month/year/forever to start again, and be happy and LOVED.

I know it doesn't feel like it right now. I know how you are feeling ... I've been there. I cried. I screamed. I cried some more. For a very long time. But I can tell you, that from my perspective a year and a half later, my son is healthier, he is sober and therefore thinking clearly, and knows that his family loves him. He also knows who his real friends are. He knows he has a support system so that when he comes home he will have an easier time getting his life on track.

The Holidays will suck without him, no doubt about it. But this will get easier in time, mom. Just love him one day at a time. Keep breathing.

FredIam
12-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Wilcomom is absolutely right!!! I can honestly say I have never experienced pain like I have since July...and life hasn't always been easy for my family. But on Oct 29th my world came to a screeching halt... not that I wanted to die...but wasn't sure I could keep breathing. Sunday I woke up renewed...ready to start stepping forward again...only to be knocked flat on Monday when my son chained from county to TDCJ...I knew it was coming...just didn't expect it to feel like that.
Wilcomom (and many others) took me by the hand and guided me through the next steps...for that I will be forever grateful...I got him set up with jpay...got him some books and stationary ordered...have been to the mailbox the last three days...doesn't include the emails we have sent him...and I am now ready to move forward again.
I received the most incredible letter from him on Tuesday...he wrote and mailed it after our visitation on Saturday...he is ok...he is going to be ok...and ready to start his journey. I was hoping he got to stay in county through Christmas...that did not happen...and now that it is done...I can see the holiday will be better for all of us...there is nothing left to wonder about... yes we will be spending this and many more Christmas seasons without him in the house with us...but we have begun the healing process that our family has desperately needed for years...we have all been drawn SO MUCH closer...and he is so close in our hearts...and has returned to the family...instead of just returning to the home. We will be celebrating with decorations...and pictures...lots and lots of pictures...it is important for him to see that we are ok too...but most importantly we will be celebrating this Christmas with God...and as a family unit...with hope.

HUGGGS..... keep coming here...ask questions...vent...cry...and definitely take care of yourself...you are no good to anybody sick. I learned that the hard way.

I am angry with him though...lol... the extra gray hairs and the extra lines in my face that prompted a good friend to buy me a pass for the salon/spa! THE SPA???!!

You have to keep living... like Wilcomom said...breathe...he is safe...he won't be hungry...and you know where he is...

WilcoMom
12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
HUGGGS..... keep coming here...ask questions...vent...cry...and definitely take care of yourself...you are no good to anybody sick. I learned that the hard way.

I am angry with him though...lol... the extra gray hairs and the extra lines in my face that prompted a good friend to buy me a pass for the salon/spa! THE SPA???!!

You have to keep living... like Wilcomom said...breathe...he is safe...he won't be hungry...and you know where he is...

Wait a minute ... you mean if I vent, pout, mope and cry in public I can get a spa pass???!!!!! Why didn't anyone TELL me that!

FredIam
12-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Wait a minute ... you mean if I vent, pout, mope and cry in public I can get a spa pass???!!!!! Why didn't anyone TELL me that!

LMAO! :D Had it not been presented after my second margarita the other night.... I might have been doing some public crying!!!!

I asked her "Are you telling me a look like sh**?"
She looked at me ever so sweetly and said "No mom, you just look tired!"

If she were telling me the truth why did she turn around and give me anti-aging cream for my face?! :p LOL... except she actually sells that stuff.

Drucifer
12-03-2009, 06:40 PM
He needs to turn himself in. Period. The suggestion that he should "hide someplace else" is both stupid and insensitive. Just get it over-with.

trouble25
12-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I had a probation violation warrant and the bond was set at 100,000... My lawyer went and talked to the judge reduced it to 5,000 the next day me my lawyer and bail bondsman walked in the jail lobby turned in my ID and bond paper it took 20 mins and that was it.... Dallas county

Onaicult
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
I had a probation violation warrant and the bond was set at 100,000... My lawyer went and talked to the judge reduced it to 5,000 the next day me my lawyer and bail bondsman walked in the jail lobby turned in my ID and bond paper it took 20 mins and that was it.... Dallas county

sounds like this may not have been too serious of a violation, or you were lucky. that is good :)

momforlife
12-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all your advice on this post. The policeman came to my door on 12-2-09 and threatened to break it down if he saw movement. So I let him in and my son has been in the county jail since then. No bond was offered on his charge and altho he has a court appointed attorney, I told him we would not post bond this time. He is safer in the jail--away from marijuana and his low life friends. Plus, he won't be in danger of getting a new charge. Don't know how this will all turn out, but at least the warrant part is out of the way. Still sad though....:(

btuck76
12-15-2009, 11:18 PM
I just went through this last month with my wife. The warrent was issued and two days later they were at our door, and we were not even at our house we were staying with my parents. We were unaware of the warrent and the revocation. They issued it for community service not done and she is 9 months preg. So they really don't care. I imagine they will be coming soon for your son. I am sorry. We have never been in this situation before either. In our case she had no bail and today was sentenced to 120 days in state jail. This is after a recomendation of the probation office to put her back on probation. We also paid her restitution and still that did not matter. Good luck to you. Support your son, but know that it catches up. No, you will not get into trouble for him being in your home.

retired-37
12-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I just went through this last month with my wife. The warrent was issued and two days later they were at our door, and we were not even at our house we were staying with my parents. We were unaware of the warrent and the revocation. They issued it for community service not done and she is 9 months preg. So they really don't care. I imagine they will be coming soon for your son. I am sorry. We have never been in this situation before either. In our case she had no bail and today was sentenced to 120 days in state jail. This is after a recomendation of the probation office to put her back on probation. We also paid her restitution and still that did not matter. Good luck to you. Support your son, but know that it catches up. No, you will not get into trouble for him being in your home.
I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. You're right, they don't care! I mean, 9 months pregnant, and you paid the restitution!! I guess, that county cared more about it's FREE, SLAVE LABOR...."community service" than it does about the well being of a pregnant mother, or her child....outrageous!! Do you care to tell us the name of this county??:(...andy

btuck76
12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes, it is Johnson county...thank you for your support. She is doing fine and we hopefully will see a new life soon no matter. Yes, the da told her that if we could get the restitution paid that this could all go away and so we did and now she has 120 days that they say, doesnt start until tdcj picks her up. It really amazes me. Her attorney is going to try to get the judge to count from yesterday (sentenced day) on, but it will be on the back of the sentence. It has really opened my eyes to a system that needs reform. She is not a danger to anyone, never done drugs, and the charge is almost 3 years old. We are handling it well no matter. She had probation for another charge from another county and they did not care and accepted her doctor's note. She now has filed paperwork with them to allow this time to count for them as well, so that is good. I will love and keep our kiddo until she gets done with this and then we can move on together as a family...The fact that they would come after her so quickly when her charge in my eyes is pretty minimun considering...(theft of property)...grand total of about 2 grand including court costs and fine...which is now paid. Breaking the law is breaking the law, but it blows my mind. Warrant issued and a day later sherrif officers are at the door for a charge 150 miles away. And when the officers asked the county if they could do a "walk through" because she was preg. They stated no she said she was preg before...well we went to court for this charge in May and she is now nine months preg...so yes! She was preg then...hmmm...word I get from other loved ones during visits is the county doesnt care and is very tough...so be it...we accept our sentence and it will be ok! Thanks for the kind words.
I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. You're right, they don't care! I mean, 9 months pregnant, and you paid the restitution!! I guess, that county cared more about it's FREE, SLAVE LABOR...."community service" than it does about the well being of a pregnant mother, or her child....outrageous!! Do you care to tell us the name of this county??:(...andy

joshua scott
12-20-2009, 01:52 AM

it is there job to find him...nobody is required to turn him in and you have the right to remain silent especially if they do not have a warrant to come in the home....it is not necessarily in your sons best interest to turn himself in...maybe he has some things to settle first while he still has a chance? does he have a child? true story though the sooner it happens the sooner its over but believe me you do not even have to answer them when they come to your door without a warrant...after they leave make sure he is not there when they come back with one.