View Full Version : Can a person with a felony get a good paying job?

Poohna
11-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Can a person with a felony get a good paying job?

rockstara
11-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Can a person with a felony get a good paying job?

Yes, but sometimes, there are many let downs and hard roads before any good work comes along. Its important that the person realize that they have to build confidence through working wherever they can....just knowing that they can make an honest living is one of the greatest lessons and often times leads to other pathways to success...but I see that you are in Cali, not sure about other states, but FYI, there is a website called calapprenticeship.org.....most accept felons and are paid union workers...its hard labor but the pay usually is from 9-22 dollars an hour depending on what the work is....I would look into that and also consider going into business for yourself..also there are goodwill industries in the los angeles area that have people avaliable to specifically help felons find a job.....you can google goodwill industries and it'll come up..good luck to you....

fredwinters
11-18-2009, 12:40 AM
can a person with a felony get a good paying job?

no

kindra_antoin
11-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Yes actually they can its possible, its hard to find but it is indeed possible, I've had a felony and have had my share of good paying jobs in the range of 14/hr. thats a good pay rate for a person with a felony!

ncreentry
11-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I know people with felonies making $100K+ per year... It comes down to your skill set, the nature of the conviction, how long its been, marketing yourself and making the right connections. It is more difficult for someone WITH a record than without, but even in today's market, I see people with criminal records getting good jobs... rockstara has made some good points...

MikesBabydoll09
11-30-2009, 01:03 PM
yes they can make good pay. Its like ncreentry said- its all about your skill set. - You may have to work hard at it at first to build up trust and dependency for an employer and move on up from there.

dogdoctor
11-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Hello

I am a former prisoner and also the employer of several ex-offenders at my dog training center in Denver, CO. While I was inside I taught a pre-release program called Opportunities Within and we dealt alot with the politics of employment for those recently release. While it is hard for alot of offenders to find work, you can get a job. I urge you not to lie or omit information on the application and to prepare a resume that highlights your experiences, even if you gained this experience on the inside. If you worked on the inside in the dog program for example put that on your resume just like it was a real job.

List all of your programs that you attended in prison such as GED, college courses, prison lead leadership programs etc.

Dont give up. It is taking some people without a felony on their record a year or more to find employment, you can too. It will just take a while.

Regards,

Robert Forto, PhD

eb2009
11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
People with college degree's are having a hard time finding a job. What i have noticed is that everyone gets and gives different information. Research yourself. Apply for jobs. Things are different for everyone and that is a fact.

MightGoMightNot
12-23-2009, 02:22 AM
It's like anything else in life... The best and the brightest (top 10%) of any group will do better than the other 90%. It isn't "fair", but it's the inequitable (and inescapable) nature of life.

If your question is "can I as a felon walk into corporation XYZ and get a white collar job pushing paper for $50,000", the answer is generally no. That isn't going to happen. Yes, there are a few outliers, but those people are walking lottery tickets.

If you want to make money, shed the mindset of the 'employed' and gain the mindset of the 'employer'. Work hard. Be creative and ingenious. Work harder and then, work harder. Learn. With the right mind and the right attitude, you really can do big things. Sounds cliche, but totally, totally true.

In some ways, my own conviction was the BEST thing to ever happen to me. It forced my hand. It violently jerked me off the path of least resistance and forced me to change my mindset and the way I looked at employment and making a living. Some people curl up and die under the weight of 'their record'. Others don't. Your choice.

MrsMc
12-24-2009, 05:07 AM
Education is the secret to a felon making a decent salary. Of course, being a felon, there are some careers that will forever be off limits (unless you get the record expunged) - things like careers in healthcare or working with kids. (depending on the crime, of course)

However, an Associate degree, or even a Certificate from a local community college, in things like automotive mechanics, hotel/restaurant management, computer technology, HVAC, computer aided drafting and design (CADD) etc., can make all the difference in the world.

My husband is a felon, and he attended the community college in the evenings for a few months to get a certificate in automotive mechanics, then he went from scrounging around looking for low paying jobs to working in a car dealership that even offered a really nice salary and a retirement plan.

He can tell you, going to school in the evening or on a Saturday morning sucks - sucks really bad - but the end results, after just a few months are amazing.

Sure, employers are still going to find out about your record, but they tend to look at you differently when you can also show them they you've done positive things to improve your circumstances.

gonefiiishin
12-24-2009, 11:08 AM
no

sure you can, that is ofcourse
if you havnt done to much time and did not wind up "institutionalized"
if you demand respect (demand, learned from prison life ) then you can have a long road ahead of you. you will not get that kind of respect on the outside. " convicts " have trouble dealing with people on the outside because theres no respect. but no one cares that you did 8-12-14 yrs in the joint. they tend to be scared of you, but do not respect you. im not blaming the outside nor am i blaming the convict. and to tell the truth. if you get out of the joint. and you are truthful on your applications. goodluck in finding a high payin job. but if you lie and fool the co, and interviewer then it is possible. then you have to worry about the (demand) for respect issue. but to answer the ?, if you got good game and are driven to succeed then it can be done (yesyesyes)
so good luck to all the inmates and convicts out there. because a good job is what really sets you free.