View Full Version : CFRC Visitation questions

missinhim2009
10-30-2009, 12:10 PM
My husband has just been transferred to CFRC-East from CFRC-Main. I'm not sure this is his permanent place or if he's just waiting to be moved again.

I was wondering how does the visitation work? I saw that visitation is normally on Saturday and Sundays..or Fridays or Mondays if there's a holiday. Do you get to see them both days or just one..and for approximately how long?

I hope he's allowed visits soon!! Thanks and please respond.

Odd Mushroom
10-30-2009, 06:37 PM
isn't that in florida?

NtShadow
11-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Yes, it is. missinhim, I'm moving your thread to the Florida forum where you'll be able to get the answers to your questions.

ben's girl
11-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Visitation is both days, but if he is still in reception he will not be allowed visits. Moves from the Main unit to the other units are very common.

Relda Copning
11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
[quote=missinhim2009;5021676]My husband has just been transferred to CFRC-East from CFRC-Main. I'm not sure this is his permanent place or if he's just waiting to be moved again.

I was wondering how does the visitation work? I saw that visitation is normally on Saturday and Sundays..or Fridays or Mondays if there's a holiday. Do you get to see them both days or just one..and for approximately how long?

My son is at CFRC East. I was told by his classification officer that there is no visitation at this facility unless he is classified to stay there. That can take up to 2 months to decide. He will be able to write and call before then. If he is classified permanent at CFRC East the visits are both weekend days. You can visit both days if you have a place to stay or live close.

mccuneday
11-08-2009, 05:47 PM
My son was sentenced 5/30/2008 and went to cfrc 6/6/2008 and was there until sept 2008 and i got no visits then he went to brevard and after about a week he went to pc and in oct 2008 he was sent back to cfrc awaiting transfer at this time I had still had no visits and only 1 phone call I was a total wreck! I had my attorney go there and speak with the warden and i did get 1 special visit while in reception only because it had been 4 months and no visit and only 1 call .My attorney told me there was a law that an inmate must be allowed visits after 3 months as long as they have no dr"s. I'm not sure what law that is but it must have been true because he managed to get one for me.But i only got 1 and he was transfered and of course my visitation info didn't transfer with him and i had to start all over and mail a new one and wait for approval. If anyone needs this info let me know and I will get the specifics from my attorney so you don't have to pay one to find out. My prayers are with each and everyone of you going through this. also' if you have any questions I am here to help .I have learned alot in the last year and a half and maybe I can save you some trouble.

CoChese
11-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi Mccuneday.
Can you tell me what/wehere PC is you reference? My son has been at CFRC since 2 Sept 09. He was aslo transferred to East after being at Main for 1 month. We live in Brevard. He writes but says he isn't allowed visitation or calls because he is not permanent. He is only 19 years old and in his letters he says he wishes they would get him to a permanent location. I know of others who went to CFRC and were there for 1 month and then transferred to a permanent place. Is your son permanent somewhere? Seems weird they would send him to Brevard and then transfer him again. Did they provide a reason? Would be nice if my son can just do his 18 months and be left alone somewhere. I would hate for him to go through transfers all over the state.

ben's girl
11-29-2009, 10:05 AM
CoChese, PC is protective custody. Sometimes, for whatever reason, some inmates stay longer in reception than others. Your son is correct in that he cannot receive visits as long as he is still considered to be in reception. Have you called to speak with his Classification Officer to see if they will give you any information as to what is taking so long? If not, I would certainly do that first thing next week. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. Also, be prepared for him to be moved around. It doesn't always happen, but is definitely a possibility and there doesn't have to be a valid reason, to us anyway, for DOC to move them.

wifeofMichael
11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I am unsure about the "no call" thing. My husband was allowed to make calls while at reception (different location) once they got his phone list approved.

ben's girl
11-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh, I missed the part about no calls. Yeah, that's not right. Def call the CO.

Relda Copning
11-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi Mccuneday.
Can you tell me what/wehere PC is you reference? My son has been at CFRC since 2 Sept 09. He was aslo transferred to East after being at Main for 1 month. We live in Brevard. He writes but says he isn't allowed visitation or calls because he is not permanent. He is only 19 years old and in his letters he says he wishes they would get him to a permanent location. I know of others who went to CFRC and were there for 1 month and then transferred to a permanent place. Is your son permanent somewhere? Seems weird they would send him to Brevard and then transfer him again. Did they provide a reason? Would be nice if my son can just do his 18 months and be left alone somewhere. I would hate for him to go through transfers all over the state.

Your son is allowed phone calls if he gave them a phone list when he turned in his paperwork at reception. My son is also at CFRC. He was in main unit for a month, then they sent him to east unit. I waited 45 days for my phone number to be approved so he could call me. I would call his classification officer and ask questions. If you don't know who the officer call the main number and they will tell you.

Dar99
11-29-2009, 07:10 PM
[quote=missinhim2009;5021676]My husband has just been transferred to CFRC-East from CFRC-Main. I'm not sure this is his permanent place or if he's just waiting to be moved again.

My son is at CFRC East. I was told by his classification officer that there is no visitation at this facility unless he is classified to stay there. That can take up to 2 months to decide. He will be able to write and call before then. If he is classified permanent at CFRC East the visits are both weekend days. You can visit both days if you have a place to stay or live close.
When do they send the visitation forms? my son has been at CFRC since the beginning of the month . I have received a couple of letters but no calls. He wrote and told my daughter that he is grouped with other boys his age ( he is 20) but not sentenced by the judge as youthful offender. If they keep moving them, how do we ever get to see them? Can one call the warden and ask for visitation?
The whole thing is mess... starting with the public defender.. well my prayers and thoughts are with all you and your loved ones, it is getting harder not easier.. thanks again for all and any info

CoChese
11-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Very helpful info.
DAR, I was wondering that also but, I think your son has to request the forms and then he is responsible for mailing them. I wrote my son and told him to get the forms to me once he knows where his "home" prison is going to be.
I will definitely call the CFRC Office this week and see if I can get a hold of my son's Classification Officer to ask what the hold up is all about. I'll let ya know what they say.

Thanks again to all..

Cochese

ben's girl
11-29-2009, 10:53 PM
I have a copy of the visitation form scanned on my computer. If you will send me your email addresses via private message I will send it to you. As soon as your sons are moved to their permanent facility you can send the form. Once you are approved to visit your visitation approval follows you wherever he is moved throughout the state.

pharoah
11-30-2009, 09:02 PM

My boyfriend has been at CFRC center since Oct 15 and got moved to East. He has been there about 6 weeks. He says he can not call until he is classified. Was your son able to call before being classified? I have gotten many letters. ANY info greatly appreciated! Thank you.

CoChese
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
[quote=Relda Copning;5038242]

My boyfriend has been at CFRC center since Oct 15 and got moved to East. He has been there about 6 weeks. He says he can not call until he is classified. Was your son able to call before being classified? I have gotten many letters. ANY info greatly appreciated! Thank you.
My son is there also and writes to me quite often but has never called either. He didn't mention the reason why he could not call but I did ask him on the letter I sent last week. I should hear back soon but classification and phone list approval probably have something to do with it. My son has been at CFRC since 2 Oct. I'm gonna e-mail Bens Girl and get a copy of the visitation forms she has.

spin721
12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
I spent 7 months at CFRC. The FIRST week an inmate is there is called "Hell Week". The FIRST day an inmate arrives its: height, weight, property (DOC tends to throw it all away if you don't send it home) haircut, emergency contact info, prison blues are issued, fingerprints, medical screening, photographs then a FL DOC identification card is issued. Oh yeah, and the great brown bag lunch is thrown at you during this time. Eventually they call out your name and tell you where you are going to be housed and off you go. That evening you also get to experience how to eat in the chow hall in under 4 minutes. There are thousands of inmates there and chow takes about 1.5 hours. If you don't get up when they tell you to...things can get rough. The SECOND day is orientation and classification day. Possibly the worst day there. Orientation is about the dumbest thing I have ever been through. You have to stand up and yell "OFFICER ON DECK!" any time an officer enters the room. This is painted on the wall. So, of course they do it on purpose about 30 times. You get to hear the rules and get yelled at for about an hour. Then some inmate gets up there and tells some dumb story about "prison life." Then it's over to CLASSIFICATION! You get to sit on a wooden bench for 6-8 hours waiting for the classification officer to call your name. But, if everyone is being loud then the process stops. So sometimes it takes 2 days. One time I saw the COs make all the "new guys" stand out in the hot sun for 3 hours because they wouldn't quiet down. The classification officer WILL give you visitation forms and a phone list if YOU ASK FOR THEM. But since most people are "new" to prison no one really thinks of this. If it is not done at this time...good luck getting them from the housing officers. They HATE everyone who is not a permanent inmate. The THIRD day was pretty easy. It was a simple dental screening. No big deal. The FOURTH day is the actual medical doctor visit. That is another HUGE 8-10 hour wait, wooden benches...process stops if people don't shut up....same old garbage. I think I got there at 4:30am and finally was out of medical at 5pm. The final day (of the five days) is "catch up day". Meaning anything you didn't get completed...you go wait for another zillion hours until its done. Other than that, you do nothing. Sometimes they would have yard, sometimes not....it depended on how lazy they felt like being. It is near impossible to make it to the canteen if you are not a permanent inmate. Many times I witnessed the COs there get phone lists or visitation forms and THROW THEM IN THE TRASH. My best advice is MAIL THEM DIRECTLY to classification. Never give any CO at CFRC anything, it won't make it where it needs to go.
Like I said, I was there for 7 months. I was a permanent laundry worker. After the initial month I was there (which sucked) and the COs found out I was a "worker". It was night and day. That is just CFRC.

CoChese
12-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for that info dude. So your statement at the end "night and day" indicates it was okay after being there for a month. Correct? And I also assume you were considered "permanent" there. Did they give you any indication you were gonna be there permanently? Or did you just have to figure that out. Also, what is the difference between the CFRC and the CFRC-East? My son (19 years old) was at CFRC for 3 weeks and then transferred to CFRC-EAST but hasn't been classified to my knowledge nor does he know if he will be transferred out to another location but CFRC is 40 miles from his home address.

Thanks again

Relda Copning
12-03-2009, 12:43 AM
[quote=Relda Copning;5038242]

They are not allowed to call until your number has been a approved. It took them 45 days to approve mine. The phone lady told me they are 2 months behind, which I think is a crock. Call the prison and ask for the one who takes care of the calls home. She can tell you the status.

wifeofMichael
12-03-2009, 06:15 AM
My son (19 years old) was at CFRC for 3 weeks and then transferred to CFRC-EAST but hasn't been classified to my knowledge nor does he know if he will be transferred out to another location but CFRC is 40 miles from his home address.

Thanks again

We have a prison 3.5 miles from our house. My husband was sent to a place a little over 2 hours away. But I'm not complaining because many here drive hours and hours to see their loved one. Just don't get your hopes up they'll keep him close. For your sake I hope they do.

Dar99
12-04-2009, 07:52 PM
We set up prepaid on our land line, faxed copy of phone bill , he was given pin number by classification officer. it was 30 days and I got my first call. I do know that the call was limited to time and they can not call freely. My son told me that depending on the pod you are assigned is when there is time alloted for calls.

Relda Copning
12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm so happy you got that very important "first" call. I'm still waiting on mine from my son. The day I got the number approved he was sent to confinement so I wait. He should be back on the compound soon and maybe I'll get that long awaited call. I'm praying anyway.

CoChese
12-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Yeah Dar :thumbsup:,

Glad to hear you made contact. We all are praying for you and Reldna hoping your son gets to make his calls and gets his custody classification soon. My son just received his custody classification yesterday so I figure we will go forward soon and get calls/visitations setup. I guess since he has his custody set, he will be permanent there at CFRC EAST. He writes every week so he does keep in touch. Still waiting for info on how to receive calls and approval of his call list..

Blessed Be..

Keep a prayer on your lips and a song of hope in your heart..

Relda Copning
12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah Dar :thumbsup:,

Glad to hear you made contact. We all are praying for you and Reldna hoping your son gets to make his calls and gets his custody classification soon. My son just received his custody classification yesterday so I figure we will go forward soon and get calls/visitations setup. I guess since he has his custody set, he will be permanent there at CFRC EAST. He writes every week so he does keep in touch. Still waiting for info on how to receive calls and approval of his call list..

Blessed Be..

Keep a prayer on your lips and a song of hope in your heart..

The warden told me that even when classification is set it does not mean they will be staying at CFRC. He says they are moved to make room for more inmates coming to the main reception area. Altho, there are a lot of the inmates that do have the East and West units as their main camp but only temporarily. The stay is usually no more than 6 months. In that case I'm sure there would be visitation for us.

Dar99
12-09-2009, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=CoChese;5098988]Yeah Dar :thumbsup:,

Blessed Be..

My son was never told that he could make a call. When I called to check myself I would get transfered to "phone lady" but no one ever picked up. I finally asked the lady who answered the phone at Main how I could check this if no one ever answers?. She advised me to speak with the wardens secretary.I did do that the following day and she gave me number to call 386 496-6405. Her name was Michelle-- she was able to tell me that the line was cleared and if he had received his pin number from classifications he could call. At that time I had already set up prepaid and faxed in copy of phone bill... I wrote my son and told him this. On a day that they were allowed to make calls he tried and we heard from our son... I was very worried until he called again that he would have gotten in trouble for this. He was temp transferred to East and he is able to call 2 x during the week and both weekend days before 6 pm. He also shared that if he wants to call on the weekend nights he has to put his name on list in the morning. He is still awaiting classification .I do not think he will be staying. I have sent in visitation forms this morning and I will call next week. Christmas is coming and it would be a blessing to see him anytime during the holiday and before they send him off. With everything I have been reading they don't seem to keep them close to their homes.
I hope you hear from your son soon... prayers for all

Dar99
12-09-2009, 10:17 PM
The warden told me that even when classification is set it does not mean they will be staying at CFRC. He says they are moved to make room for more inmates coming to the main reception area. Altho, there are a lot of the inmates that do have the East and West units as their main camp but only temporarily. The stay is usually no more than 6 months. In that case I'm sure there would be visitation for us.

I read somewhere that even if they are not at their main if it has been 45 days you can ask for visitation. I also spoke with Chaplain who said that was correct. I obtained copy from someone on forum, have filled it out and sent it in. I believe the next step will be approval of the application and for visitation.My son said it was an answer to prayer to be transferred to East and to be out of the YO unit. It is not nice what they put them through- I think it is abusive!!! So prayers are answered. I lift you and your son up in prayer

CoChese
12-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I read somewhere that even if they are not at their main if it has been 45 days you can ask for visitation. I also spoke with Chaplain who said that was correct. I obtained copy from someone on forum, have filled it out and sent it in. I believe the next step will be approval of the application and for visitation.My son said it was an answer to prayer to be transferred to East and to be out of the YO unit. It is not nice what they put them through- I think it is abusive!!! So prayers are answered. I lift you and your son up in prayer

Great! Good to hear your son made it out of there also. My son too said it was a BIG difference at EAST compared to main.

Does anyone know if visitations at CFRC EAST are done via video?
(That's the way they did it at the local county jail here in Brevard and I was wondering if that's true at CFRC.)

Also, I only have a cell phone and I use VONAGE for a home phone. Apparently, phone call are not allowed to cell phones and Vonage does not support collect calls. Anyone know of a way I can setup my phone to allow my son to call? I used Correctional Billing Services (CBS) when he was in the Brevard County Jail and received calls on my cell phone. CBS said it can't be done with CFRC even though they have support for CFRC EAST! Strange.. Hmmm, wonder what I need to do. Any suggestions?
Thanks

CoChese :mad:

ben's girl
12-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Visits at CFRC are contact visits. Only time visits will be non-contact will be if he's put on Close Management and that would be if he gets in trouble too much and would be moved to a Close Management facility.

CBS was supposed to have corrected their "issue" with Vonage. You should just have to setup a prepaid account with them in order to receive calls. They blocked all VOIP services awhile back, but I thought several posted they were getting calls again, even with Vonage. You could try calling and just tell them you need to setup a prepaid and not mention who your service is through. I do know you will need the prepaid account with Vonage. CBS is who we use for phone service so regardless of what local provider you end up using, you'll have to use CBS. If you haven't already, setup your account to view it online. It makes it much easier to manage instead of calling everytime.

CoChese
12-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks..
I am going to try another company called J^ILC^LLS<dot>com. Has anyone ever used them? They seem rather high priced. They charge an initial 1-time fee of $75.00 and then $24.99/month (minimum needed in your account) and then you are charged a $2.75 connection fee and .12 a minute. They route the calls to your home/VOIP/cell phone. Does any one recommend this company?

Relda Copning
12-15-2009, 07:41 PM
I have CBS and my son is in CFRC. I've had the account since Oct. and no one has said a word about not being able to service CFRC. My number was approved. Now I'm waiting for my son to get out of confinement so he can call. I sure hope we don't have any more problems with phones or CBS. If we do I'll go another route.

Dar99
12-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I did have land line in place, used CBS and my calls for the 15 minutes average $ 1.85 His call days are limited so the prepaid is lasting... He is still at east and wish me blessings for I am going to call tomorrow to check on visitation. It will be small miracle if I can visit him but I believe miracles happen everyday! and anyways it is Christmas
Blessings to all, lifted up in prayer

CoChese
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Good Luck to you Dar.

My son was transferred to Mayo CI. So I am usually posting in the Region II forums.

Hope you got to visit your son.

Dar99
12-22-2009, 06:33 PM
My son still is at CFRC East... but awaiting transfer which could happen any day. He told me last week he heard that they would stay there through the holidays but last night he said at least 15 where transferred from his pod alone. So I hold my breathe and pray... I did make contact with his CO ( who has been very nice but not forth coming with much information) today and he tells me that the visitation applications are with whoever does the background checks.. and yes I will call again tomorrow and again on Thursday in hopes of hearing those words " you are approved" my son's birthday will be here along with Christmas, and no better gift could i get or he receive than a visit with a hug... I have not hugged him since July and like many others have never had a Christmas with out him. with the goodness of his heart, he did send a Christmas card telling us he misses us, but reassuring us .
How is your son? Is he close to home? have you gotten any calls ?

" Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is finding some kind of battle"

My heart and prayers go out to all...

diamondgirl1960
05-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Hi I am new to all this but below are some website that helped me get through the stress of just feeling clueless.

GENERAL FACILITY INFO GO TO:
FL. DEPT OF CORRECTIONS WEBSITE dc.state.fl.us
and click on the facility he is at then on next page click on GENERAL INFO WHICH IS ON BOTTOM LEFT, for CFRC choose main or east unit whichever unit he is at and read thru it all, there is alot of info on there you can even take a virtual tour of the facility inside.

THESE ARE THE MAIN THINGS I FELT I NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT HOPE IT HELPS YOU TOO:

VISITATION AT CFRC ORLANDO FLORIDA
visits are on Saturdays and Sundays 9-3pm the last visit sign in is at 145 so that u can visit for at least an hour. becareful not to wear any revealing clothes, no see thru tops, no halters middriff tops tank tops mini skirts etc.... only your id and car keys no car remotes are allowed in. you can take cash with you cuz your man is gonna wanna eat while you visit since the food sold there is not the same as they get inside. i normally take 20.00 at least. you can spend the entire day with him and yes you can visit on both days assuming he does not have any other visitors i think there is a max on how many can visit him at one time.

PHONE CALLS: HERE IS THE PHONE FOR CFRC FACILITY they will give you his classification officer phone. but here is what i have:
classification dept 407 207 7637 at his location make sure you have his DC# inmate number when u call to see if he has added your landline phone it must be a home number not a cell at least for now i believe they are working on adding cell phone calls but it hasn't been done yet anyways, here is the SECURUS corrections facility phone service company so u can get more info on setting up an account for your home phone: 800-844-6591 WEBSITE securustech.net
hope this helps....

HOW TO CONTACT AN INMATE: only letters n cards are allowed, BUT do not put any lipstick kisses on any part of letter, card, envelope cuz it will be sent back to you... guilty.... lol lol lol. anyways, you can send a full book of stamps and they can buy the paper, pens n envelopes at facility. no more than 10 pages at a time, no overly sexy pics like with lingerie..etc. lol when in doubt ask his classification officer.

SENDING MONEY TO INMATE ACC'T:
SAME AS FACILITY INFO WEBSITE CLICK ON GENERAL INFO AND IT WILL BRING UP A LIST JUST CLICK ON SENDING MONEY AND IT WILL GIVE YOU SEVERAL OPTIONS

BUYING APPROVED CLOTHING items they may need from time to time and no we can't go out n buy them..lol
here is that WEBSITE: accesscatalog.com
its done quarterly the system will only allow you to purchase food packages or clothing that are approved for them if u can't see the clothing options its cuz its not the time to order them per the quarter rules... my guy likes to buy his own food when he wants it so i just add money to the commissary acct and he can do his thing as for his clothes i only order what he needs to replace... also clothing is like tshirts, shorts, underwear, sneaker, socks..etc. have him give you his size first... and no they don't have regular clothing just what they need to be comfortable.

My husband has just been transferred to CFRC-East from CFRC-Main. I'm not sure this is his permanent place or if he's just waiting to be moved again.

NAN425
05-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Please note that the information on that General Information page is the exact same page that is displayed for all Florida facilities. It is not specific to CFRC. The rules and procedures are the same everywhere.

You don't have to go through all that facility page stuff to find all that information. From the front page of the DOC website, just click on "FAQ" on the top menu. Then select "Frequently Asked Questions About Inmates" partway down the page and you get a page with all of that information on it.