View Full Version : Rumor about Polk C.I becoming a transition center

Exxtreme
10-28-2009, 09:08 PM
My brother says there's a rumor about Polk becoming a transition center after december-january, which means a lot of the inmates will be transferred out. Anyone heard about this?

Mrs.Bozeman
10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
My man is at that facility and I have a few more friends in there I will ask around and check it out and get back with you as soon as I can.

Exxtreme
10-28-2009, 09:44 PM
My man is at that facility and I have a few more friends in there I will ask around and check it out and get back with you as soon as I can.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted as well.

Mrs.Bozeman
11-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I just found out that the rumor is going strong but there is still no evidence to support it as a fact yet. I did also find out that if the inmate is in the PRIDE work program they will not be affected and can stay there but all others have to transfer. Still trying to find out more information for you and myself!!!

Exxtreme
11-03-2009, 09:34 AM
I just found out that the rumor is going strong but there is still no evidence to support it as a fact yet. I did also find out that if the inmate is in the PRIDE work program they will not be affected and can stay there but all others have to transfer. Still trying to find out more information for you and myself!!!

Wow! I really hope it stays a rumor, as my brother is not in the PRIDE work program.

Mrs.Bozeman
11-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Just to let you know i got a letter from my man today and he said that Polk is turning into a transition camp in jan. and anyone that has more than 5 years left on their bid will be moved. They can go anywhere but at the last camp that he was at when they did something like that a few people called and raised hell and they were able to stay fairly close. So i am not sure, I am going to call and talk to one of the people that was able to stay close and see what actions he took. Ill let you know!!!

Exxtreme
11-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Just to let you know i got a letter from my man today and he said that Polk is turning into a transition camp in jan. and anyone that has more than 5 years left on their bid will be moved. They can go anywhere but at the last camp that he was at when they did something like that a few people called and raised hell and they were able to stay fairly close. So i am not sure, I am going to call and talk to one of the people that was able to stay close and see what actions he took. Ill let you know!!!

Seems there is strong evidence that this will happen. Too bad for my brother, as he has more than 5 yrs to go and was real happy at Polk.

Thanks for the information.

ben's girl
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
My husband was moved last year on a "population movement" and they took into consideration the inmates that were getting visits when they moved them and kept them close to where they were moved from. They'll probably do something similiar to determine where to move these guys.

Mrs.Bozeman
11-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I hope he stays close for his fathers sake because his health is failing and can't make a few hour drives like he used to.

Fencie
11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
I think these rumors are confusing Demilly with Polk C.I. because they're both in Polk City. Demilly C.I. (which opened earlier this year) was adapted from a juvenile justice building for the express purpose of being a transition center for State adult (male) offenders. It houses about 350 men who have no more than three years left on their sentences. After they get out they must plan to stay in the region (Polk, Lake, Sumter, Hillsborough, Hardee, Manatee, Highlands, Pasco or Pinellas counties).

trawig
11-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Just an FYI:, my man is in Tomoka, and he says that rumor there is that Tomoka is being converted to a short term (<3 yrs) or transition facilty as well.

Mrs.Bozeman
12-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Just to update it has been confirmed that Polk Corretional is going to a transition camp as of Jan. 1st. But when I spoke with one of the classification people she said that they will not put their first set of inmates to transfer on the bus until Feb1st. She gave me a number to Population Management to call and inquire about our loved ones staying local. That number is 850-488-3624. I hope this helps out. In order for the inmates to stay at Polk they have to have 5 years or less on their sentence OR be involved in the P.R.I.D.E program.

Exxtreme
12-14-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks so much for the information. I'm just wondering if my brother can get in the PRIDE work program, as to avoid being transferred.

Again, thanks.:thumbsup:

baileytalks
12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
My husband is at Polk CI and we heard this rumor as well. I emailed Tallahassee to find out and they of course would not give me any information about it but did say that they make every effort to keep them close to home when possible and would keep my email on file should my husband be transfered so that he can stay close to home. My husband used to work for PRIDE and it is not an easy task to get on there. My hubby of course will be one to be transferred because he has a life sentence. He has been trying to get his job back at PRIDE but has not had any luck. I really like Polk and so does my hubby and really don't look forward to moving....I was hoping it was just a rumor.

Mz. Tin
12-17-2009, 10:52 PM
I spoke with my mother because my step father is currently at Polk. She said she has not heard anything about it but my stepfather did mention that they are looking to send some inmates out of state to fix the overcrowding problem. My husband is at Demilly which is said to be a transitional prison with prisoners who has 3 years or less. I will ask some of the officers there to see how true things are.

tampagirl23
12-18-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd like to know what you find out on this, my bf is interested in transferring to the faith based dorm at Polk CI, but if they are changing it to a transition center then I wonder if they would get rid of that dorm. He does have less than 3 years left, but the won't be eligible for WR so not sure if he would be able to go there.

Mrs.Bozeman
01-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I'd like to know what you find out on this, my bf is interested in transferring to the faith based dorm at Polk CI, but if they are changing it to a transition center then I wonder if they would get rid of that dorm. He does have less than 3 years left, but the won't be eligible for WR so not sure if he would be able to go there.

I highly doubt that the would get rid of the faith based dorm even once they do go to a re-entry place. PRIDE and faith based are their biggest things that PCI has.