View Full Version : Commutation Applications for Clemency (or reduction in prison term)

smoser
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Has anyone ever filed one of this with the Governor's office and if so any info about it would be helpful!

Thanks so much!

roysprincess
10-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi There! Well, I am in the process of doing this...getting all the info and writing my letter, etc. I have some info that the Clemency office emailed to me, so if you would like it just PM me...

10-18-2009, 09:22 PM
For anyone else interested or those that just want to see who are being considered for a Pardon or Commutation:

http://www.doc.state.nc.us/clemency/index.htm

smoser
10-19-2009, 07:54 PM
For anyone else interested or those that just want to see who are being considered for a Pardon or Commutation:

http://www.doc.state.nc.us/clemency/index.htm

2021 any idea of what kind of reasons the governor's office would even consider doing a commutation?

How many of these per year do they really do or grant? What kind of reasons would get one inmate granted commutation over another?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/input.

10-19-2009, 10:37 PM
If you go to the Glossary of Terms page on that site it explains the differences between them.

As for reasons - that, I'm sure, is closely guarded information between the Gorvernor and the Clemency Board.

As for how many a year - not sure, not covered much in the news. Those recent Inmates who have been found Not Guilty of their convicted crime(s) will receive something restoring their rights and all.
Remember when Governor Hunt was leaving office (being replaced by Governor Easley) - he was signing a bunch but not all of them. I don't remember hearing if Governor Easley had signed any when he left office.

My own opinion - That's the normal course of events - just before they leave office, signing a bunch of them. That way it doesn't matter who they give them to, they're already out of office by the time the ink dries - less controversial.