View Full Version : Why don't all companies hire felons?

CLIFLOW
10-15-2009, 09:21 AM
the reason why all companiew including the federal governmet don't hire is simple" they discriminate!" felons deserve a chance to succeed after they have payed their debt to society!! See the petition forum and join us in our cause!!

Daywalker
10-15-2009, 11:19 AM
the reason why all companiew including the federal governmet don't hire is simple" they discriminate!" felons deserve a chance to succeed after they have payed their debt to society!! See the petition forum and join us in our cause!!

Not all companies discriminate, my husband works at a place that has 2-3 other felons on his line alone. As a past recruiter, it makes some difference to us whether or not you were honest about your felony and what it was. Since we had people going into people's home, obviously, we couldn't hire sex offenders for those jobs, because we would be allowing them access in the daily performance of their jobs. Same as someone who was a thief, wouldn't be placed where there was money or valuable equipment. I realize that not all felonies are equal, and more companies could be more discretionary.

And you are right, felons do deserve a chance. Some of them, however, screw up their own chances, by doing things like tattooing their faces and necks. I am tattooed, and I would find those tattoos, or obvious gang related tattoos in visible places offensive.

Something else to consider, is job skill, and the ability to speak properly. No one is going to hire anyone coming in off the street, dressed with his pants 1/2 off his butt, and speaking street. That's just the way society is and that has nothing to do with being a felon. I would have recommended a felon who could speak appropriately over someone coming in speaking street.

I think it's 50/50 - companies need to show a little more consideration, and perhaps prisons should teach some job interviewing skills.

ncreentry
10-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Good points, Daywalker... My job involves working with former offenders and people who provide services for former offenders as they seek employment... I talk with former offenders from all over NC every day, as well as employers...

There are some employers who have adopted a "no convictions" policy across the board because it is easier and safer... Yet a number of employers deal with itmes on a case-by-case basis... There are a lot of variables about the offense, including the nature of the offense, the time that has passed, what the person did while incarcerated, what the job involves, what legal factors are in place, negligent hiring concerns, etc. A lot of offenders don't do themselves any favors, like being incarcerated for 17 years but never earning a GED, or coming out with attitudes... Oh, and don't forget, you actuyally need to be QUALIFIED for the job, and you need to show that you are the BEST person among all the applicants for the job. Right now there are 6 people looking for work in the country for every one job that is open, so the competition is stiff... Have some understanding about where the employer is coming from on these matters... Work on developing some emotional intelligence...

Not all companies discriminate, my husband works at a place that has 2-3 other felons on his line alone. As a past recruiter, it makes some difference to us whether or not you were honest about your felony and what it was. Since we had people going into people's home, obviously, we couldn't hire sex offenders for those jobs, because we would be allowing them access in the daily performance of their jobs. Same as someone who was a thief, wouldn't be placed where there was money or valuable equipment. I realize that not all felonies are equal, and more companies could be more discretionary.

And you are right, felons do deserve a chance. Some of them, however, screw up their own chances, by doing things like tattooing their faces and necks. I am tattooed, and I would find those tattoos, or obvious gang related tattoos in visible places offensive.

Something else to consider, is job skill, and the ability to speak properly. No one is going to hire anyone coming in off the street, dressed with his pants 1/2 off his butt, and speaking street. That's just the way society is and that has nothing to do with being a felon. I would have recommended a felon who could speak appropriately over someone coming in speaking street.

I think it's 50/50 - companies need to show a little more consideration, and perhaps prisons should teach some job interviewing skills.

HereKittyKitty
01-05-2010, 09:18 PM
If I had two people apply for a position and both were qualified,,,,,sorry I wouldn't hire the felon. I doubt that many people would.

Would you hire a sex-offender as a nanny? I think not. If you owned a bank, would you hire a thief? I doubt it.

My husbands company does a background check, credit check and occasionally random drug tests. Business insurance is EXPENSIVE, this is something that must be considered as well. Businesses are built on profit.

My boss had new carpeting installed in his kids bedrooms. His wifes engagement ring was stolen. Turns out the carpet layers were both convicted burglars. He ended up suing the owner of the carpet business and won.

Just my two cents.

justincaiyse
04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
A lot of employers just happen to be biased because they don't know any cons personally. It might also be against their insurance, but you can get a federal bond to solve that.

SyntaxError
04-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Companies don't care about whatever tax breaks they might get for hiring felons. It's a paltry amount compared to the damage one felon can do to a company's reputation and bottom line.

Plus why hire a felon when there's a mountain of applications from people who aren't felons?

We can thank 9/11 for all the background checks. Used to be most places didn't bother, but ever since 9/11, everyone is on the lookout for terrorists. It's sad really.

MizSunshine
04-25-2010, 07:47 PM
If I had two people apply for a position and both were qualified,,,,,sorry I wouldn't hire the felon. I doubt that many people would.

I would. I have. And I would do it again. People deserve a second chance. Think of all of the felons who were innocent. Or who sincerely want to make another go at life the right way and who are not given the opportunity.

The first time I hired a felon, was two weeks after my 18th birthday and one week after I was promoted to hiring manager at my retail store. I hired two ladies who were on parole. One for a violent offense and one for something monetary that I can't remember because it was a lifetime ago.

I interviewed them and had several meetings with their PO, and decided to hire them both. ONE of them is STILL with the company and in corporate management and is very good at her job, and I still speak to her regularly 13 years later. She is married with kids, a great career and has ALWAYS been grateful I gave her that opportunity.

I have no clue what happened to the other lady, but for the three years I remained with the company after hiring her, she was a great employee.

My boss was SO disappointed that I hired them, but I did what I felt was right and trusted my instincts in regards to those two ladies and how they presented to me. They WANTED a second chance and they both worked hard. Sure, it could have bit me in the ass, but I did what I thought was right at the time and I'm glad I did.

My inmate is a felon. He spent pretty much his entire adult life in prison, and came out on parole and worked his freaking ass off to get what he has today. Shit luck and a family member landed him in his current mess but he will STILL have his job when he gets out because they LOVE him and thank god they gave him a chance.

As for those who spent their lives in prison and get out and have no clue how to act - I have nothing to say. My babe pretty much grew up there and came out educated, intelligent and perfectly capable of conducting himself as a responsible and respectful person. No real excuse there.

MrsCetina
03-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Would you hire a sex-offender as a nanny? I think not. If you owned a bank, would you hire a thief? I doubt it.

My husbands company does a background check, credit check and occasionally random drug tests. Business insurance is EXPENSIVE, this is something that must be considered as well. Businesses are built on profit.

My boss had new carpeting installed in his kids bedrooms. His wifes engagement ring was stolen. Turns out the carpet layers were both convicted burglars. He ended up suing the owner of the carpet business and won.

Just my two cents.

I would, and I will when we can afford to hire employees for our small business. so to any felons reading this, dont give up hope. there ARE jobs for you. :thumbsup:

scoopster
04-06-2011, 02:13 AM
It's also liabilty, companies are scared due to the liability aspect. If they hire an ex-con especially with violent record, then 1 yr down the road they assault a co-worker, and the victim finds out about their record, they can sue their employer for hiring him.

I also see case after case where the workers don't have a record at all, assault a co-worker, verbal to the HR person, then HR has private security to wath their house temporarily. Then the companies will revamp and change their hiring policy for people with a record. But person who did assault had no record.

So both of these are shutting our doors more and more. They even shut people like me out with two seat belt tickets since 1993. So walk a straight line and still nothing.