View Full Version : Earliest Possible Release Date

ead
10-13-2009, 06:29 AM
On the Indiana DOC inmate locator page for the person incarcerated there is a "Earliest Possible Release Date". My understanding is that you must earn all of your good time credits to be released on that date. My question is: are there programs that can be completed or other opportunities available to move this date forward (to make it possible to get out sooner)? This "Earliest Possible Release Date" sounds literally like the earliest moment one could possibly leave prison but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance for any information.

Indylissa
10-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Yes, there are classes and programs depending on where they are in Indiana. Some prisons offer these programs for drug rehab, counseling, GED classes, college classes.

ead
10-13-2009, 06:26 PM
So, they can actually get out prior to their "Earliest Possible Release Date"? If so, do you know how much earlier? Is it a set amount of time for each program or class or does someone make a decision based on how well they do? Is there like a cumulative limit? The inmate is in Miami, if you know anything about that prison.

LBoogie0810
10-13-2009, 09:27 PM
there are roughly four years worth of time cuts available to offenders in this state

ead
10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I know that I probably sound dense but I just want to be sure I understand, so ..... in Indiana, depending on what prison a person is at, the programs/classes that earn "time cuts" can add up to 4 years off of (or getting out four years prior to) a person's "Earliest Possible Release Date"?

Rebecca777
10-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey Eads.. It depends upon how much time your guy is supposed to serve on the time cuts you are asking about.. Most of the time they can get up to 1/3 time cuts off that earliest release date... For instance if someone has 3 years.. they could get 1 yr cut.. You can't just get 4 years unless your sentence is say 12 years.. He would have to serve 2/3 of that which would be 8 years.. thus getting 4 years off.. If you want to pm me and let me know what is earliest release date is.. I can figure it out for you... Of course, then he has to try really hard to get in those classes that he is eligible for and will get a time cut from ... My son is working on college classes to complete his degree... This is all new to me... Never thought in a million years I would know so much about our prison system...My son is older, he is at Plainfield.. and I do get to see him every other week.. So.. all is good.. Take care and ask me anything you like.. Hopefully I can help ... God Bless...

ead
10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
When you are talking about sentence is that the length of time from sentencing until their "Earliest Possible Release Date" that they can (if they work hard) get 1/3 off of?

luckyme_in
10-18-2009, 01:14 PM
I'll echo what others have said here.

In Indiana generally a person is granted a "good time credit recommendation" when they are sentenced. Good time is pretty much automatic from that point and is good for a 50% reduction in state facilities. So if a person was sentenced to 2 years and they received a good time credit recommendation that automatically means they "could" get out in 1 year.

Good time can be lost for getting into trouble. There are many programs that offer time cuts. As another poster has mentioned all told there is about 4 years worth of time cuts available to those who are willing to put in the work and maintain their good time credit.

Some of those programs inmates would not be allowed to enroll in if their sentence was too short. Essentially you could only knock off a fraction of your sentence by completing all the programs you possibly could.

But to answer your question...yes it is possible to be released before your earliest possible release date. :)

On the Indiana DOC inmate locator page for the person incarcerated there is a "Earliest Possible Release Date". My understanding is that you must earn all of your good time credits to be released on that date. My question is: are there programs that can be completed or other opportunities available to move this date forward (to make it possible to get out sooner)? This "Earliest Possible Release Date" sounds literally like the earliest moment one could possibly leave prison but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance for any information.

ead
11-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Once they satisfactorily complete a program that qualifies for a time cut, do they have to "apply/put in for/request" the credit?

Indy2
11-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Okay I have almost the same question but just a little different. Now my guy release date is Nov.23,09 and he is in a supervise HWH now is it possible that he could be released earlier then his release date since it's only 19 more days to go?

ead
11-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Besides wanting to know if they have to fill out some paperwork to secure a time cut, I was wondering if once they have qualified for a time cut will it be reflected in a "Earliest Possible Release Date" change on the Indiana DOC page?

Rebecca777
11-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Besides wanting to know if they have to fill out some paperwork to secure a time cut, I was wondering if once they have qualified for a time cut will it be reflected in a "Earliest Possible Release Date" change on the Indiana DOC page?

Once they have completed whatever they were accepted for, it will then show up on the IN doc page you are talking about.
It may not be the very day... but, it will soon reflect on that page. When my son was sentenced, he spent 2 days at Marion County.
Once he was transferred to RDC and settled, those 2 days credit showed up right away...