View Full Version : International Travel on Parole in Texas

dfwtexan
10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I am trying to travel to the Philippines on parole. What are my chances? My parole record is spotless. What steps should be taken? Can anyone give me solid advice? Thank you so much.

Drucifer
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I am trying to travel to the Philippines on parole. What are my chances? My parole record is spotless. What steps should be taken? Can anyone give me solid advice? Thank you so much.

Not even a chance.

WilcoMom
10-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Have you checked with your parole officer to see if you can get a travel permit?

ShoesHappen
10-13-2009, 09:14 AM
You won't be able to get a passport while on parole.

dfwtexan
10-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes I have & I have submitted my request. She in turn has to submit it to the board & they ultimately make the decision.As I said my parole record is spotless. I have heard of people traveling out of the country on parole. I do know some countries such as Canada require Advance Visa but I don't think the Philippines is one of them. They don't even require a Visa period. Thank you for your reply.Have you checked with your parole officer to see if you can get a travel permit?

dfwtexan
10-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Is this parole policy or someone elses? Please let me know Thank youYou won't be able to get a passport while on parole.

Onaicult
10-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes I have & I have submitted my request. She in turn has to submit it to the board & they ultimately make the decision.As I said my parole record is spotless. I have heard of people traveling out of the country on parole. I do know some countries such as Canada require Advance Visa but I don't think the Philippines is one of them. They don't even require a Visa period. Thank you for your reply.

Even if you're NOT on parole anymore - you can't travel to Canada, w/out requesting special permission from the Prime Minister or whatever. If you do, they technically can make you serve time again in Canada.

I have never heard of someone still on Parole getting a passport. After parole is successfully completed - it's usually not an issue-depending on the crime.

Drucifer
10-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Catch a clue bro!

RobinsMan
10-14-2009, 06:38 AM
I can find no restriction against getting a passport because of a felony conviction. I think it comes down to someone in a decision making role at TDC - whom we must presume cares to keep their job - deciding to take responsiblity for the possiblity that you might leave the country and never return.

mrsdeal815
10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
In my husband's parole handbook it states that he can't get a passport until he is off parole. It's in the section that also tells a parolee when they can vote again.

WilcoMom
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Even if you're NOT on parole anymore - you can't travel to Canada, w/out requesting special permission from the Prime Minister or whatever. If you do, they technically can make you serve time again in Canada.

This would be the 'advance visa' the poster referred to.

dfwtexan
10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Actually when you do your interview at the post office they will have to see a letter from your P.O. stating that is ok for me to obtain a passport. I called the main center where they issue passports & they told me they issue passports to parolees all the time Then all I have to do is wait on the board to vote yes or no whether I may go. I talked to someone the other day who traveled abroad while on parole so I know it can be done. Thank you for your replyI can find no restriction against getting a passport because of a felony conviction. I think it comes down to someone in a decision making role at TDC - whom we must presume cares to keep their job - deciding to take responsiblity for the possiblity that you might leave the country and never return.

joshq4
10-14-2009, 06:32 PM
You can get a pass port while on parole you just cant use it to leave the country its just a peice of Identification. im on parole and i got mine when i got out beacuse i needed it as id to get my liscense

dfwtexan
10-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Josh did they ask u in the passport interview if you were on parole?You can get a pass port while on parole you just cant use it to leave the country its just a peice of Identification. im on parole and i got mine when i got out beacuse i needed it as id to get my liscense

aba
10-14-2009, 10:17 PM
There is no passport interview. You fill out the application online through the state department website, and then you also print it out, take it to an 'authorized agent' at the post office with your photos and check. Then you wait and you'll get it in the mail.

With all due respect I think it's a long shot that they'll let you go to the Phillipines while you're on parole. No matter if you've been Mother Teresa during that time. Especially if you tell them you're going to see a girl or friend. If it was work/business related and substantiated in writing I could see a possibility. If your lawyer contacted your PO's supervisor to discuss it maybe I could see it happening, but I think your chances are slim to none, and that's just my humble opinion. Nevertheless if you end up getting permission please let us know as there are other people here in this community that are probably interested in international travel while on supervised release.

joshq4
10-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Josh did they ask u in the passport interview if you were on parole?

Yes they did and i told them i was they just put travel restrictions on it so i cant travel. my Po was the one who told me to go and apply for one when i couldnt get my liscence. Its surprisingly takes less id to get a passport then it does to get a txdl

dfwtexan
10-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I sure will let you know as soon as I get an answer. Thak you & God bless you for your input.There is no passport interview. You fill out the application online through the state department website, and then you also print it out, take it to an 'authorized agent' at the post office with your photos and check. Then you wait and you'll get it in the mail.

With all due respect I think it's a long shot that they'll let you go to the Phillipines while you're on parole. No matter if you've been Mother Teresa during that time. Especially if you tell them you're going to see a girl or friend. If it was work/business related and substantiated in writing I could see a possibility. If your lawyer contacted your PO's supervisor to discuss it maybe I could see it happening, but I think your chances are slim to none, and that's just my humble opinion. Nevertheless if you end up getting permission please let us know as there are other people here in this community that are probably interested in international travel while on supervised release.

dfwtexan
10-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh wow that's funny. My PO said she would write a letter on a Board of Parole Letterhead giving me permission to obtain a passport to travel internationally so then all I have to do is wiat on the board to approve my travel. TTYL friend. Where are you on parole at, What County? I'm in Wise CountyYes they did and i told them i was they just put travel restrictions on it so i cant travel. my Po was the one who told me to go and apply for one when i couldnt get my liscence. Its surprisingly takes less id to get a passport then it does to get a txdl

convictedfelons
01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Yes, I'm definately interested to know the outcome. I am on probation and applied for a passport card, not a passport book. I initially only wanted the passport card for the purpose of identification because it certainly can't be used to travel by plane,etc. But, then after I thought about it, I started to wonder if I could travel to a Mexico border town for the day, just to shop and eat, and then come back into the US without any issue. This is normal for people who hold a passport card but, since I'm on probation, I wasn't sure if it would be allowed or if border patrol would stop me and give me a hard time when I come BACK INTO the US. I am a US citizen so you would think it wouldn't be an issue. So, anyway, I am curious to know how this Phillipine request turns out.

dfwtexan
01-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Ok I have been givien permission to travel to the Philippines while on parole now I am just waiting on my passport in which I sent a letter of permission to travel from the parole board. I should have an answer in 2-4 weeks. I'll let you know. Take care & God bless.There is no passport interview. You fill out the application online through the state department website, and then you also print it out, take it to an 'authorized agent' at the post office with your photos and check. Then you wait and you'll get it in the mail.

With all due respect I think it's a long shot that they'll let you go to the Phillipines while you're on parole. No matter if you've been Mother Teresa during that time. Especially if you tell them you're going to see a girl or friend. If it was work/business related and substantiated in writing I could see a possibility. If your lawyer contacted your PO's supervisor to discuss it maybe I could see it happening, but I think your chances are slim to none, and that's just my humble opinion. Nevertheless if you end up getting permission please let us know as there are other people here in this community that are probably interested in international travel while on supervised release.[/quote]

convictedfelons
01-24-2010, 09:54 PM
[quote=dfwtexan;5187281]Ok I have been givien permission to travel to the Philippines while on parole now I am just waiting on my passport in which I sent a letter of permission to travel from the parole board. I should have an answer in 2-4 weeks. I'll let you know. Take care & God bless.There is no passport interview. You fill out the application online through the state department website, and then you also print it out, take it to an 'authorized agent' at the post office with your photos and check. Then you wait and you'll get it in the mail.

I'm glad to hear you go the Board's approval. Be sure to let us know if the passport office gives you your passport. I did get my passport while on probation but I've never traveled internationally as I'm concerned about the US border patrol stopping and asking me a bunch of questions when I come back into the US. I don't know why, but they frighten me. :)

mspisces80
01-26-2010, 08:43 PM
dont kno where people are getting this info from, it really depends on your p.o and type of crime. I wasnt given an interview when I got my passport. My husband will be getting his asap so we can travel also. He didnt believe me either. I guess I wont kno Im jus in the FREE WORLD lol I still love him tho

dfwtexan
03-20-2010, 11:49 AM
For your info I was granted a passport to travel internationally to the Philippines "while on parole" You told me; "Not a chance & catch a clue bro" well I say ;" Catch a clue bro" lol For future info it is possible to travel internationally on parole & to obtain a passport. Yes I had to jump through a few hoops but it can be done. You must not have any write ups dirty UA's & all your dues must be current. You must also submit with your passport application, an approvel letter from your parole officer on a BOPP letterhead to the passport center. I am so happy of this & can't wait to share this info with others who want to travel abroad. Take care & God bless!Not even a chance.

dfwtexan
03-20-2010, 11:53 AM
For your info I was granted a passport to travel internationally to the Philippines "while on parole" For future info it is possible to travel internationally on parole & to obtain a passport. Yes I had to jump through a few hoops but it can be done. You must not have any write ups dirty UA's & all your dues must be current. You must also submit with your passport application, an approvel letter from your parole officer on a BOPP letterhead to the passport center. I am so happy of this & can't wait to share this info with others who want to travel abroad. Take care & God bless![[Oh wow that's funny. My PO said she would write a letter on a Board of Parole Letterhead giving me permission to obtain a passport to travel internationally so then all I have to do is wiat on the board to approve my travel. TTYL friend. Where are you on parole at, What County? I'm in Wise County

Onaicult
03-20-2010, 12:35 PM
For your info I was granted a passport to travel internationally to the Philippines "while on parole" For future info it is possible to travel internationally on parole & to obtain a passport. Yes I had to jump through a few hoops but it can be done. You must not have any write ups dirty UA's & all your dues must be current. You must also submit with your passport application, an approvel letter from your parole officer on a BOPP letterhead to the passport center. I am so happy of this & can't wait to share this info with others who want to travel abroad. Take care & God bless![[

I think 5 different replies is a little overkill don't you?

I would imagine that even w/ a clean parole record, it is still probably rarely approved, so congratulations!

dfwtexan
03-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I have received permission from the parole board as well as my passport from the Dept of State so it is possible to travel internationally while on parole. Glory to God.Have you checked with your parole officer to see if you can get a travel permit?

dfwtexan
03-20-2010, 08:28 PM
I received a passport that allows me international travel to the Philippines. The parole board approved my travel. The Dept of State requested a letter on an official BOP&P letterhead acknowledging my travel to obtain my passport. So for future reference you can obtain a passport on parole. I admit I had to jump through a few hoops but it is well worth it. I have a spotless parole record no write ups no dirty UA's & my dues are paid ahead. The Parole does require this for any special priveledges. Thank you so much for your input.You won't be able to get a passport while on parole.

Onaicult
03-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I guess not.

dfwtexan
03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
You told me I didn't have a chance to go to the Philippines while on parole. Well your info was incorrect. I have been granted permission from the parole board as well as receiving a passport for international travel. Please pass on this info to anyone asking the same question I did as they may not try to obtain it after hearing they don't have a chance. Not even a chance.

convictedfelons
03-27-2010, 04:07 PM
So excited for you! Yea!

luvinhim24/7
03-27-2010, 04:46 PM
You told me I didn't have a chance to go to the Philippines while on parole. Well your info was incorrect. I have been granted permission from the parole board as well as receiving a passport for international travel. Please pass on this info to anyone asking the same question I did as they may not try to obtain it after hearing they don't have a chance.

Congratulations and have a great time!!!! I imagine anybody on parole will have to jump through all kinds of hoops for just about anything. Good for you that you kept trying when everyone said it couldn't be done. I'm glad to know when my husband's released he might be able to get one and we can travel.

dfwtexan
04-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Did you get my message? I have been grantred permission to travel to the Philippines while on parole & I have received my passport as well with no restrictions. Glory to God. Thank you so much for your input & God bless!

dfwtexan
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Awhile back I was asking people if it was possible to travel internationally while on parole in Texas. Now I am traveling to the Philippines. Certain countries such as Canada would require an advanced visa but not the Philippines. I received many replies that ranged from "check with your p.o." to "not a chance". Well the true answer is yes you can because I have received permission from the parole board as well as my passport with no restrictions. It is on a case by case basis & certain crimes that may be violent or sex related are highly unlikely to get this priviledge. Thank you so much for your input & may God bless you.This would be the 'advance visa' the poster referred to.

dfwtexan
04-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Josh just letting you know I received my approval from the parole board to travel to the Philippines as well as a passport with no restrictions. God bless & thank you for your input.Josh did they ask u in the passport interview if you were on parole?

dfwtexan
04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Just letting you know I received my passport while on parole with no travel restrictions. Its on a case by case basis. Tell your husband to check with his p.o. to obtyain one. God bless & thank you for your input.In my husband's parole handbook it states that he can't get a passport until he is off parole. It's in the section that also tells a parolee when they can vote again.

dfwtexan
04-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I received my passport (with no travel restrictions) while on parole in Texas. It can be done but it's on a case by case basis.Even if you're NOT on parole anymore - you can't travel to Canada, w/out requesting special permission from the Prime Minister or whatever. If you do, they technically can make you serve time again in Canada.

I have never heard of someone still on Parole getting a passport. After parole is successfully completed - it's usually not an issue-depending on the crime.

dfwtexan
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Drucifer I sent you a message but never heard back from you. I received my passport with no restrictions to travel to the Philippines while on parole in Texas. It's stricly on a case by case basis & certain crimes, such as violent or sex offenses, would not be allowed this priviledge. Thank you for your input & pass this info along. God bless.Catch a clue bro!

britecloud
04-05-2010, 08:05 PM
drucifer closed his account dfw.

Onaicult
04-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I received my passport (with no travel restrictions) while on parole in Texas. It can be done but it's on a case by case basis.

I know... I've read your MANY posts on the matter. And britecloud is right, drucifer's account is closed. You've been acknowledged. Thanks for the info.