View Full Version : Now that he's released, can he reapply for his unemployment?

buglet50
10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
my son was on unemployment when he went in theo lacy now he is being released with no home no money nothing but bills where can he get help right away? and can he apply for his unemployment comp again? he has never been areested ever before and he will be on probation . he works in the building industry and of course now he is a felon ,so getting a job wiil take time.He has no family in cali to help. please help this mom breath easier!!

light at end
10-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Here is a thread that may be of some help click here>>>Food stamps after release (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442306)
Also, here is some info that my husband sent me. Hopefully it will help.

2sleepy
10-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Here is a thread that may be of some help click here>>>Food stamps after release (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442306)
Those pages that your husband sent you have been circulating around prisons for a long time. About 90% of the information is inaccurate. Felons are not considered a depressed minority. The dept. of rehabilitation doesn't write a check for $1900 and believe me SSI takes about 2 years to get, and there are no $5,000 small business loans that a felon can get.

2sleepy
10-06-2009, 08:51 PM
my son was on unemployment when he went in theo lacy now he is being released with no home no money nothing but bills where can he get help right away? and can he apply for his unemployment comp again? he has never been areested ever before and he will be on probation . he works in the building industry and of course now he is a felon ,so getting a job wiil take time.He has no family in cali to help. please help this mom breath easier!!
From what I understand, you can't collect unemployment when you are in jail, but when you are released you should be able to re-open the claim- or it may still be open. He can try to do it online, or if that doesn't work have him call the unemployment office.

negretelove
10-06-2009, 09:07 PM
he could possibly apply for GR (geneal relief) in the county he will be living in
this will at least give him food stamps not sure about cash

light at end----i have also seen those pages and i have a friend that woked for the SS office she said there is not much if any truth to the info...sucks :(

Cubana
10-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Im going to see if I can find that website I found a few years back about this. This was actaly a Hoax someone started awhile ago.

Harv*sGirl
10-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Your sons unemployment insurance claim is good for one year since the date he filed it. After that you can get extentions, up to 20 weeks I think, but they keep offering more extentions so it may be longer now. He needs to go online and re-file. They may require he have a phone interview. They are really sketchy sometimes and you cant tell which way they are going with things. As long as he did not collect unemployment while he was in jail he should be fine, he can just continue to collect it now. It could take a while (I would guess about 3 weeks ffrom the time he refiles until he gets his first check) he may want to look in to food stamps and GA/GR like the others suggested. It could take even longer then 3 weeks. Last time I had to have a phone interview it was scheduled for 4 weeks out, and then they have 10 days to send you a decision in the mail.

He will be fine, but the first few weeks/month will be rough. Hopefully he can get some help until he gets his unemployment started.

smaldove
10-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Actually parole officers can get you a check, this is something not many people know about. Here is the catch, your loved one gets out of prison and gos directly into construction, he needs toold, you have to buy them upfront and then the parole officer gets you reimbursed. this is something the parole office keeps hush hush.

Those pages that your husband sent you have been circulating around prisons for a long time. About 90% of the information is inaccurate. Felons are not considered a depressed minority. The dept. of rehabilitation doesn't write a check for $1900 and believe me SSI takes about 2 years to get, and there are no $5,000 small business loans that a felon can get.

South Bay
10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Actually parole officers can get you a check, this is something not many people know about. Here is the catch, your loved one gets out of prison and gos directly into construction, he needs toold, you have to buy them upfront and then the parole officer gets you reimbursed. this is something the parole office keeps hush hush.

Here's the CDCR Department Operations Manual (DOM) guideline:

81070.1 Policy

Cash assistance funds are loans to parolees or dischargees intended to be used when other funds or resources are not available. Cash assistance loans are not part of the bank draft system. A determination of how much money is needed is a matter of judgment, and circumstances will generally differ from case to case. Care shall be taken in deciding whether to make a loan. Repayment of loans is expected when the person's employment and personal circumstances permit. It is the agent's responsibility to periodically review cash assistance records and request parolee to make repayment where possible. A clerical staff (not the fund custodian) shall be designated as the cash assistance clerk.

81070.1.1 Cash Assistance Procedures

Cash Assistance Clerk
Issues Cash Assistance Loan Receipt Book and Cash Assistance Repayment Receipt Book to Parole Agent.
Parole Agent
Reviews request for cash assistance loan to determine the need for a loan.
Obtains unit supervisor's approval for any loan in excess of $50.
Obtains unit supervisor's prior approval if loans to an individual parolee within any 30-day period will exceed $150.
Completes CDC Form 1509.
Releases loan funds to parolee and obtains receipt.
Distributes completed copies of CDC Form 1509, Loan Receipt to:
Original attached to Parole Agent travel expense claim;
Yellow and pink copies are provided to the cash assistance clerk.
Green copy remains in the receipt book.
Delivers all monies collected from parolees or dischargees to cash assistance clerk.
Unit Supervisor
Verifies that the Cash by Agent portion of the Loan Receipt agrees with the Parole Agent's request for reimbursement on travel expense claim for that month.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Regulations/Adult_Operations/docs/DOM/DOM%20Ch%208-Printed%20Final.pdf (http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Regulations/Adult_Operations/docs/DOM/DOM%20Ch%208-Printed%20Final.pdf) (page 692, [PDF page 34])

South Bay Scott

South Bay
10-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Im going to see if I can find that website I found a few years back about this. This was actaly a Hoax someone started awhile ago.

Here's the link 2sleepy posted in an earlier thread:
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?p=589597 (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?p=589597)

South bay Scott

smaldove
10-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks, I am aware of what the DOM says and that parole agents can get you assistance. Many people do not know they can do this.:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this for the peopele who are not aware of this.

Here's the CDCR Department Operations Manual (DOM) guideline:

81070.1 Policy

Cash assistance funds are loans to parolees or dischargees intended to be used when other funds or resources are not available. Cash assistance loans are not part of the bank draft system. A determination of how much money is needed is a matter of judgment, and circumstances will generally differ from case to case. Care shall be taken in deciding whether to make a loan. Repayment of loans is expected when the person's employment and personal circumstances permit. It is the agent's responsibility to periodically review cash assistance records and request parolee to make repayment where possible. A clerical staff (not the fund custodian) shall be designated as the cash assistance clerk.

81070.1.1 Cash Assistance Procedures

Cash Assistance Clerk
Issues Cash Assistance Loan Receipt Book and Cash Assistance Repayment Receipt Book to Parole Agent.
Parole Agent
Reviews request for cash assistance loan to determine the need for a loan.
Obtains unit supervisor's approval for any loan in excess of $50.
Obtains unit supervisor's prior approval if loans to an individual parolee within any 30-day period will exceed $150.
Completes CDC Form 1509.
Releases loan funds to parolee and obtains receipt.
Distributes completed copies of CDC Form 1509, Loan Receipt to:
• Original attached to Parole Agent travel expense claim;
• Yellow and pink copies are provided to the cash assistance clerk.
• Green copy remains in the receipt book.
Delivers all monies collected from parolees or dischargees to cash assistance clerk.
Unit Supervisor
Verifies that the Cash by Agent portion of the Loan Receipt agrees with the Parole Agent's request for reimbursement on travel expense claim for that month.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Regulations/Adult_Operations/docs/DOM/DOM%20Ch%208-Printed%20Final.pdf (http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Regulations/Adult_Operations/docs/DOM/DOM%20Ch%208-Printed%20Final.pdf) (page 692, [PDF page 34])

South Bay Scott