View Full Version : Extradition back to Oregon

dynamicuno
10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Does anyone have experience with their loved one being extradited back to Oregon from another state?
My finace is serving a 3 year sentence in Illinois and has a warrant in Oregon for an 8 year old probation violation (was on probation for burglery).
We are wondering if Oregon will want to foot the bill to come and get him for a probation violation....any advice?

dakodia
10-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Does anyone have experience with their loved one being extradited back to Oregon from another state?
My finace is serving a 3 year sentence in Illinois and has a warrant in Oregon for an 8 year old probation violation (was on probation for burglery).
We are wondering if Oregon will want to foot the bill to come and get him for a probation violation....any advice?

I don't have any current experience, but in 2001 Oregon did extradite my fiance back from another state for a probation violation. He had to repay the state for the costs. I think it was around $5,000 they made him pay. That was 8 years ago. I don't know if they still do things the same way.

dynamicuno
10-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't have any current experience, but in 2001 Oregon did extradite my fiance back from another state for a probation violation. He had to repay the state for the costs. I think it was around $5,000 they made him pay. That was 8 years ago. I don't know if they still do things the same way.

if you don't mind me asking...what state was he extradited from?

dakodia
10-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Alaska - he was doing really well there, too. No trouble or problems. Good job, nice home, "productive member of society". But Oregon tracked him down. He wasn't being held by Alaska for anything else - totally clean record there.

luvmydaughter
10-05-2009, 02:28 AM
I don't have any real knowledge or experience, except that it seems the budget problems and overwhelming work load of PO's - maybe they will go easy on him because of his good time in another state. Please keep us posted.

Zelda50
10-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Has he already been arrested on the warrant? If so, maybe his attorney can call the D.A. in Oregon and work something out. Maybe arrange for his probation supervision to be continued and transferred there without him coming all of the way back? Otherwise, Oregon usually does extradite on felonies.

one_luv
10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I do agree with Zelda that it's worth a try to see if something can be worked out, but I am pretty sure that since it is a probation violation it would go thru the PO supervision office, not the DA.

Zelda50
10-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I am pretty sure that since it is a probation violation it would go thru the PO supervision office, not the DA.

That's true if the warrant was issued by the P.O. But if a Show Cause Order has been issued by the Court and the Court issued the warrant, then the D.A. would be the one to contact.

grannyG
10-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I am so glad that we have such a smart group here that can answer these questions. I sure don't know the rules well enough to have even given a guess at what would happen in this case, or what should be done. Thanks ladies for your great wisdom.

Mr Warbucks
10-22-2009, 12:41 AM

I absconded while on parole in Oregon In March of 2005. I've been stopped three different times for routine traffic stuff, and each time I was told that I do have a warrant in Oregon but it was a non-extraditable warrant. So no, I wouldn't worry about it. Oregon is broke. Hope this helps.
Regards Delbert Lammers

dynamicuno
11-03-2009, 04:16 PM
thank you for all of the information! I guess we will just have to wait and see. I found out a lot in the last few weeks and have contacted just about everyone in the state of OR and IL. Both states agreed that the DA would be the one to contact, but probably nothing would be done. Both states also agreed that IL will not contact OR until ONE week prior to his release...which puts me in a bind...am I going to have to move to IL or OR...Even if OR does not want to extradite, IL will not fill out the Interstate Compact for him to come to Michigan....they are difficult...

Zelda50
11-14-2009, 11:03 PM
That uncertainty is tough.

dynamicuno
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
very...if only it was a perfect world and i was rich...the toughness comes from all of the cost of moving!

Detour
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
No, if chrged with felony in another state. Oregon has budget restrictions. If it is a class c felony they definitely won't' They only extradite if you are in the states of Washington, Idaho, or caught in Oregon,Does anyone have experience with their loved one being extradited back to Oregon from another state?

Scott
12-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I agree with most of the posters that it could go either way - the extradition wouldn't be for the Burglary, but for the absconding - which is a different matter. I have seen the situation where they did extradite (and billed the individual for the cost as an addition to restitution) - so that could be a possibility.

Yes - an interstate compact would be out of the question in this situation. And ditto what Zelda50 said, "The uncertainty is tough."

Zelda50
12-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Also - a heads up. Outstanding warrants do catch up eventually with folks living out of state. When they try to apply for Social Security benefits - they will not be able to receive them if there is an outstanding warrant.

Chris'Mrs2103
12-31-2010, 11:32 AM

Mine just got extradited from Colorado - he got stopped there and was held because of a warrant out here in Oregon. It was about a 3 week journey. Warn him about Utah and Idaho - mine says those places suck!