View Full Version : Food stamps after release from prison

2sleepy
10-01-2009, 08:10 AM
My son paroled a few weeks ago and he is stuck in California waiting for an out of state transfer. He got sick and went to the welfare office to get medical coverage and at the same time asked for food stamps.

He was told that since he has a drug offense conviction, the only way he can get food stamps is if he finished a drug treatment program after his conviction. He was in SATF and kept his certificates of completion for all the phases in the program. He showed them to the welfare worker and got his foodstamps.

I'm not sure how many people know about this rule or if they enforce it in all counties- but just in case you might want to suggest to your loved one that they try to get some kind of certificate for an in prison substance abuse program, I know they are cutting alot of programs, but even if it's NA or a program run by inmates have them try to get a certificate for attending.

Cubana
10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for sharing. And glad he was able to get the help. MY MIL is on SSI and has drug convictions and they told her NO FS for drug offenses. She's in Orange County. I'll let her know to go ask again. I didnt know it differs from county to county. I thought it was the same for the whole state.

2sleepy
10-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for sharing. And glad he was able to get the help. MY MIL is on SSI and has drug convictions and they told her NO FS for drug offenses. She's in Orange County. I'll let her know to go ask again. I didnt know it differs from county to county. I thought it was the same for the whole state.
I just looked up the law on this, apparently there is still a federal ban on drug offenders getting welfare of food stamps but 32 states have opted out of that, in 2004 legislation to change this was passed in California:

AB 1796 (Leno): Food Stamps. Restores food stamp eligibility to individuals with prior felony convictions for drug possession (but not for selling or trafficking drugs). The current ban, which prohibits persons with drug felonies from receiving federal food stamps, unjustly penalizes persons in recovery who are working hard to rebuild their lives and provide for their families. Under this bill, individuals must complete, participate, or enroll in a government-recognized treatment program to be eligible for nutritional assistance.
So, like I said anyone with a drug conviction who expects to have to get food stamps after release should look into getting some kind of prison certificate for completing or participating in some drug program. I would guess even a 'self study' course would work so long as someone in the prison would give them a certificate for it.

smaldove
10-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Your MIL neds to show that she completed drug treatment programs.

smaldove
10-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I am surprised inmates do not know about this because my ex husband told me about this years ago.

Make syou wonder why thought drug offenses are the only ones excluded form this program. Just like people with drug offenses cannot get financial aid.

2sleepy
10-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I am surprised inmates do not know about this because my ex husband told me about this years ago.

Make syou wonder why thought drug offenses are the only ones excluded form this program. Just like people with drug offenses cannot get financial aid.
In 2006 the ban on drug offenders getting financial aid for college was changed, those with past convictions can get aid, but you are convicted while in College you lose your student aid:
http://ssdp.org/campaigns/hea/
There is current legislation that has passed the house and will be voted on in the Senate to remove the law entirely

Shari
10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
It depends on what your drug charges are for if you can get food stamps or not. My guy was convicted of manufactoring and he is not allowed to get food stamps no matter what. He can only collect for his sons. So he gets the amount for a family of two instead of a family of three which they are. For the few months he was out and did not have his sons he was not able to get any food stamps. Doing the drug program would not help him since his charges are manufactoring. That is what he was told.

Harv*sGirl
10-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Just like people with drug offenses cannot get financial aid.

Actually if you are talking about financial aid for school they just changed this law. It used to be if you were ever convicted of a drug charge you could not get FA. Now it is only if you were convicted of a drug charge WHILE you were receiving FA, then you are no longer eligible. I think it just changed, either this year or last year.

OOPS, I see 2sleepy already posted this. :D

Harv*sGirl
10-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Actually, I think that people on SSI are not able to get food stamps. I think what welfare told me was the state of california already kicks in extra money which is in place of being able to receive food stamps. It always seemed stupid to me but that is the law about it. I got this off the SSA website -
Food stamps

People who get SSI in California cannot get food stamps because the state adds money to the federal SSI payment instead.
However, you may be able to get food stamps:

While you are waiting for a decision on your SSI application;
If your application for SSI is denied; or
If you move to another state.

For more information, contact your local county welfare office.

Sylvia
10-02-2009, 10:57 AM
You are correct about people on SSI not being able to get food stamps. My disabled daughter gets $22.00 from SSI and can not get them. Hopefully when it gets to zero money and just payment for her Medicare premium they will allow her to get food stamps. Social Security goes up and SSI goes down by the same amount so she gets less money every year.

sunmoon728
10-04-2009, 01:20 AM
what does drug offenses have to do with not being able to get food stamps?

brownie74
10-04-2009, 11:06 AM
THE GET TOUGH LAWS ON THE DRUG WARS LED TO DISQUALIFYING THOSE TO PUBLIC ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS. I WAS READING ALL THE POSTS REGARDING F/S AND DRUG CONVICTIONS IT'S TRUE A CONVICTED DRUG TRAFFICKER, SELLER, OR MANUFACTUREER CAN NOT GET F/S. i AM A CALWORKS EW AND THOSE CONVICTED OF THE ABOVE ALSO ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO CASH AID ITHER. :(what does drug offenses have to do with not being able to get food stamps?

wonbyjc
10-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I am a food stamp worker here in San Bernardino county. The rule is that if you have a felony drug conviction for personal use of drugs, you can get food stamps. Our office asks if you have completed a drug program but even if you havent we give them anyways as long as you put in writing that you are not using drugs. However, if you got a felony conviction for transporting etc...you are not eligible to food stamps period if the conviction was after 1996. Also, people on SSI are not entitled to Food STamps, because California gives money for food in the SSI checks, where other states dont. Thats why California pays the highest amount of SSI. They give them the cash instead of the food stamps. Hope this helps, also, drug offenses do not affect the Medical program. But you have to be eligible to receive Medical to get Medical. :)

MrsMc
10-04-2009, 03:14 PM
My husband is out of a jail, on parole, living in a hotel also while waiting for interstate transfer. It never dawned on me that he could be eligible for ANYTHING.
He's not a drug offender. We've really been struggling, since he's obviously not working while waiting for his transfer (though he is going to try to find something - anything - temporary work)

Does anyone know if he'd be eligible for food stamps or something? some sort of aid?

Thanks

2sleepy
10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
My husband is out of a jail, on parole, living in a hotel also while waiting for interstate transfer. It never dawned on me that he could be eligible for ANYTHING.
He's not a drug offender. We've really been struggling, since he's obviously not working while waiting for his transfer (though he is going to try to find something - anything - temporary work)

Does anyone know if he'd be eligible for food stamps or something? some sort of aid?

Thanks
They gave my son $200 a month in food stamps and a card for free medical care. It's not state run 'medi-cal' they said he has to be disabled for that, it is a county run medical program. He didn't ask for general assistance but I think that 'if' they can get that it's only like $100 a month. If they are homeless and no money they can get the food stamps and medical coverage without waiting for it (at least my son did)

MrsMc
10-04-2009, 05:59 PM
thanks!
how long has your son been waiting for interstate transfer?

wonbyjc
10-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, he can get food stamps. The max is 200. There is no work requirements right now for the food stamp program. If he has linkage to Medical, then he can get that, but he must have children in the home and have a deprivation (unemployed, absence, incapacity or death) to get Medical or cash aid. Definately food stamps though. And if he is living with someone thats not a girlfriend or wife, he must purchase and prepare his meals seperately or everyone would have to be on the case.

2sleepy
10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
thanks!
how long has your son been waiting for interstate transfer?
He asked his counselor to start the process 6 months before he paroled. The counselor said he couldn't start the transfer process until he was down to 90 days, so he went back then and the counselor said he would put in the paperwork, but when he had 70 days left, he got a note that they had found that my son owed $74 in restitution that didn't show up in the computer. My son did a trust withdrawl to pay that, but the counselor said that the 'hold' on the transfer for the $74 didn't come off until 3 weeks before my son paroled. When my son had 18 days left, the counselor sent the paperwork to Sacramento. The day after he paroled the paperwork made it's way to Nevada. It has been 17 days since he paroled and I have no idea where the transfer paperwork is, or when it will be finished :mad:

MrsMc
10-05-2009, 04:22 AM
oh geez. :(

my husband got out unexpectedly (long story) on sept 22, reported to his PO on sept 23 and they filled in the paper work for transfer. the PO checked into the retribution and said he was "clear" so he requested a "receipt" and that was almost 2 weeks ago. the PO's requested it twice now. the interstate transfer papers can't be filed till he get that receipt.

it's damn expensive paying the bills at home (mortgate, etc.) and keeping someone in a hotel while waiting! I'm getting nervous. besides that, my husband's boss is holding his job - "as long as he can" - so we are on pins and needles wanting this to move along. if it goes on too long, he won't have a job to come home to. :( He already asked the PO about an "expedited" transfer but was told "no". :(

however, it is sort of good to know that the interstate people in CA approved your son and didn't keep him waiting too long. from what I've read, the receiving state has 42 days. so i bet they'll be contacting you soon for the home visit.

Harv*sGirl
10-06-2009, 12:35 PM
2sleepy, When Harv was on parole in the county your son is in he was eligible for cash aid in the form of General Assistance. They say it is a loan and you have to repay the county when you are able. I have never heard of anyone repaying though so I don't know how that works. I think they gave him 319.00 per month "cash" on the EBT card and 176/month in food stamps. This was back in 2007/2008, and with the budget things going on it might not be the case still. But it may be worth checking in to.

I know every county handles the GA different. Where we live now they will issue vouchers for rent/bills etc, but do not give cash aid in the form that they did in the other county. It really varies from county to county but the money helped a little when he needed it. There was a limit though: He was only able to receive 3 months of GA payments each year.

MrsMc
10-07-2009, 05:28 AM
my husband was denied food stamps. they told him you have to be a CA resident, and even though he MUST stay in CA on parole, he's still considered a PA resident - so no food stamps for him.

he's also looking for temporary work - anything - to bring in a little $$ while he's out there so he can send it home to help w/the mortgate & bills.

meanwhile...his job is waiting in PA. How f*cked up is that?

this is a crazy situation we're in! I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Shari
10-07-2009, 10:16 AM
MrsMc how did they determine he was not a CA resident?

2sleepy
10-07-2009, 04:15 PM
my husband was denied food stamps. they told him you have to be a CA resident, and even though he MUST stay in CA on parole, he's still considered a PA resident - so no food stamps for him.

he's also looking for temporary work - anything - to bring in a little $$ while he's out there so he can send it home to help w/the mortgate & bills.

meanwhile...his job is waiting in PA. How f*cked up is that?

this is a crazy situation we're in! I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
I'm not an expert, but I think he should appeal the denial of foodstamps-
Residency: Homeless households are not required to verify where they live. [7 C.F.R. § 273.2(f)(1)(vi) (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=aa582d94b70d311bb615311c96ad0327&rgn=div8&view=text&node=7:4.1.1.3.21.0.1.2&idno=7); MPP § 63-401.5.] Residency need not be verified “in unusual cases (such as homeless households, some migrant farm worker households, or households newly arrived in a project area) where verification of residency cannot be reasonably accomplished.” [7 C.F.R. § 273.2(f) (1) (vi) (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=aa582d94b70d311bb615311c96ad0327&rgn=div8&view=text&node=7:4.1.1.3.21.0.1.2&idno=7).] But if the person lives in a shelter, it may be helpful to bring a letter to the food stamp office from a shelter employee confirming that fact.

MrsMc
10-08-2009, 05:46 AM
thanks for the info. I'm not sure how they determined he wasn't a CA resident. Most likely because my husband told them exactly why he was in CA, and probably showed them his PA driver's license. LOL

he said he's not going back. he won't do it again and he feels "funny" getting food stamps. he said he ate Ramen in jail and he can do it again. :(

patswife4-ever
10-09-2009, 12:29 AM
My hubby is in California and he gets food stamps. You CANNOT get CASH AID if you were convicted of a drug offense, but you should be able to get food stamps. With cash aid, you can withdrawal money from ATM machines, so they will not give cash aid to anyone with a drug offence....

Shari
10-09-2009, 08:06 AM
I thought they can get cash aid if they had a payee who got the money for them and paid their bills with it. That is what my guy was told when they asked him if he wanted AFDC for his boys. He did not do it cause he was not able to do some of the things he need to do because of lack of transportation, but they did say he could get it as long as he had a payee.

Electra332
10-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Im in santa cruz. They do not allow drug offenders to get food stamps. Nor can they rent at many of the subsidized housing complexes

Shari
10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
What I think is kind of funny is yea they say that drug offender can not get food stamps but if they are married or have kids they will give that person food stamps for the kids. What is the logic behind this. If they think that these people are doing something with the food stamps to get drugs or something like that do they think just because it is for the kids they wont do it, but if it is for them they will.

I know someone with two kids. She gets $356 a month in food stamps for them, but can not collect for herself because she has a drug conviction. If they added her to the family they would be getting $512. Do they really think that she is not eating the food she is buying with the money she gets for the kids. All they are doing is hurting the family cause they get less food a month than they need.

wonbyjc
10-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I think its awful that a person convicted of a drug related felony cannot get food stamps, but someone convicted for murder or a sex offender can get them.....there is no logic to this at all! But thats the system we have and the society we live!

I'mTei's
10-11-2009, 11:50 AM
careful...careful since you are posting in a place where some of the loved ones of people that post are convicted of these crimes.

If someone has paid their debt to society no matter the crime, when they are hungry they should be able to eat.

I think its awful that a person convicted of a drug related felony cannot get food stamps, but someone convicted for murder or a sex offender can get them.....there is no logic to this at all! But thats the system we have and the society we live!

smaldove
10-11-2009, 05:35 PM
It's no worse than an illegal immigrant getting them and a US Citizens can't. Our system in California is bassackwards.

wonbyjc
10-11-2009, 09:58 PM
No, I dont mean it that way...I mean it in a way that if you are going to exclude some exclude everyone, and not judge. I think its ridiculous to say one crime is wrong and others arent. Thats all. I think if you are gonna make a stance and deny someone for food stamps that needs it....what gives the county or states right to say its just for one crime. You know? Not putting others down. Just dont think its fair.

I'mTei's
10-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I apologize for misunderstanding your post.

wonbyjc
10-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Im sorry if I worded it all wrong. I just do this for a living and I just dont think its fair. I thank you, I didnt want it to seem as if I am being judgemental at all. Because I am not at all. The laws just stink, is basically what I am saying.

I'mTei's
10-11-2009, 11:36 PM
I agree and thanks for taking the time and responding to me to correct my thoughts on the subject. I glad that you weren't offended by what I said since I misinterpreted what you stated. You are right the laws stink all the way around but unfortunately that's the way this crazy world works. The system sucks and it's getting worst.

Peacemom
12-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Just reading through and see comments on this issue and wanted to contribute that the ACLU has been trying to overturn the law denying student aid. They have already won lawsuits for housing and food steps have been denied. Tried to paste the link but can't seem to make it work. I'm a bit computerilliterate...

barbla
03-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Yes, he can get food stamps. The max is 200. There is no work requirements right now for the food stamp program. If he has linkage to Medical, then he can get that, but he must have children in the home and have a deprivation (unemployed, absence, incapacity or death) to get Medical or cash aid. Definately food stamps though. And if he is living with someone thats not a girlfriend or wife, he must purchase and prepare his meals seperately or everyone would have to be on the case.

Does this apply to all counties in CA? My son is in Riverside Cty parole halfway house and is getting nothing so far. He has been avidly looking for work and not been able to find anything yet. I am wondering would the food stamp program apply to his release date or when he goes down to sign up? Where could he apply for general assistance? Where canI get more info on what he may be eligible for? CDC has been zero help so far. He wants to work but I would like him to be able to get help if it's available as I cannot support him. WE are in Riverside County. Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.

2sleepy
03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Does this apply to all counties in CA? My son is in Riverside Cty parole halfway house and is getting nothing so far. He has been avidly looking for work and not been able to find anything yet. I am wondering would the food stamp program apply to his release date or when he goes down to sign up? Where could he apply for general assistance? Where canI get more info on what he may be eligible for? CDC has been zero help so far. He wants to work but I would like him to be able to get help if it's available as I cannot support him. WE are in Riverside County. Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.
You can't get foodstamps 'retroactively' they would start on the day he applied. The law is a state law, and should be the same for all counties. I am not sure about Riverside, but in Solano County halfway houses they make the guys apply for foodstamps and then force them to hand the card over to the halfway house.

MIKAER
03-05-2010, 09:41 AM
PTS is a qualifing disability that most newly released inmates have... If they are unable to work and overwhelmed by school I try to get the guys I advocate for to apply for SSI and collect disabled welfare untill qualified usually w/in 6 monthes.

riccigirl
03-06-2010, 09:16 AM
PTS is a qualifing disability that most newly released inmates have... If they are unable to work and overwhelmed by school I try to get the guys I advocate for to apply for SSI and collect disabled welfare untill qualified usually w/in 6 monthes.
Sorry whats PTS? All new to me.

2sleepy
03-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Sorry whats PTS? All new to me.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/post_traumatic_stress_disorder_symptoms_treatment. htm

riccigirl
03-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I never thought of this until now, do allot of guys that leave prison have this? My guy had the perfect rich boy life all his life, never knew anyone that went to jail or got into trouble with the law. Should I be worried?
I tried to prepare him before he went you can take classes so we did that but he said the only thing it helped was with politics. Still lucky I met a carpool buddy that her husband schooled him too.. (We had 6 months to prepare for him to go away)
I am thinking when he gets out he is not going to have the money he was use to or the life I think that’s when the PTS is going to kick in!

Candy4U
09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
If married to a lifer, can i still be eligable to get cash aid, food stamps or Medical????

Please advise.....

Cesarlove
09-11-2011, 09:14 AM
If u are employed there is a limit of how much income u bring home to qualify for cash aid or food stamps, but it varies if you have children.

2sleepy
09-11-2011, 10:21 PM
If married to a lifer, can i still be eligable to get cash aid, food stamps or Medical????

Please advise.....
yes, your marriage should not affect your eligibility

NikNak88
09-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Was he able to get Medi-Cal as well? Here in California, it is very hard for a single man over the age of 18 to get Medi-Cal. (not sure what your sons circumstances are) Hopefully it all worked out for him :)

NikNak88
09-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Actually, I think that people on SSI are not able to get food stamps. I think what welfare told me was the state of california already kicks in extra money which is in place of being able to receive food stamps. It always seemed stupid to me but that is the law about it. I got this off the SSA website -
Food stamps

People who get SSI in California cannot get food stamps because the state adds money to the federal SSI payment instead.
However, you may be able to get food stamps:

While you are waiting for a decision on your SSI application;
If your application for SSI is denied; or
If you move to another state.

For more information, contact your local county welfare office.

Yes they are eligible for foodstamps. My mom is retired, on SSI and she receives $87.00 a month in foodstamps. Just for herself.

*sorry if someone already replied to that...I haven't read through the whole thread yet*

NikNak88
09-12-2011, 01:17 AM
I noticed this is an old thread so maybe at the time it was made, people on SSI could not get FS. I do know that now, and in Oct 2010, people on SSI were eligible. I'm in California. My mom also received Medi-Cal even though she gets the almost worthless Medicare through her SSI. So now she has double coverage. She was told that SSI is considered income and as long as its below the qualifying amount, which it is, she would be eligible for a small amount of FS benefits. She gets 87.00 a month and has been for just about a year.

2sleepy
09-12-2011, 10:23 PM
I noticed this is an old thread so maybe at the time it was made, people on SSI could not get FS. I do know that now, and in Oct 2010, people on SSI were eligible. I'm in California. My mom also received Medi-Cal even though she gets the almost worthless Medicare through her SSI. So now she has double coverage. She was told that SSI is considered income and as long as its below the qualifying amount, which it is, she would be eligible for a small amount of FS benefits. She gets 87.00 a month and has been for just about a year.
Is your mom in California? Because as of July of this year Social Security states that SSI recipients in California can't get food stamps because California adds a cash supplement to the SSI check http://ssa.gov/pubs/11125.html

Violet007
09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Los Angeles county: My son (paroled) was able to get $200 General relief and about the same in food stamps.. and with a drug conviction... 2sleepy is right about the law, it's strange but I've seen workers in the past that you actually had to educate as to the law... I printed stuff out before and faxed to a worker.

My hubby is in California and he gets food stamps. You CANNOT get CASH AID if you were convicted of a drug offense, but you should be able to get food stamps. With cash aid, you can withdrawal money from ATM machines, so they will not give cash aid to anyone with a drug offence....

NikNak88
09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Is your mom in California? Because as of July of this year Social Security states that SSI recipients in California can't get food stamps because California adds a cash supplement to the SSI check http://ssa.gov/pubs/11125.html

Yeap my mom is in California and she gets her 87.00 worth of food stamps every month. In fact on Tuesday she got a letter stating that they raised her amount from 87 to 93 because the cost of utilities has gone up. So I really don't know why/how she is eligible but I know for a fact she is.

NikNak88
09-13-2011, 07:49 PM
This is gonna bug me now. Because my sister's neighbor who is about 72 years old and on SSI, same as my mom (not disability, but because they are over 65) he gets foodstamps also and he too is in California. So I just dont know. It clearly states there on that site that Californians on SSI can not get food stamps. I wonder if maybe there are other stipulations that allow them, and others I'm sure, to receive the FS? I'm gonna have to look into it to settle my inquiring mind.

Patricks_Wifey
09-13-2011, 07:53 PM
I know my son ( a minor ) receives SSI benefits and I receive food stamps for my other children but am not eligible for any food stamp assistance for my son, i don't know how it all works??

NikNak88
09-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Recipients of Suplemental Security
Income (SSI ) and the California State
Supplement to SSI (SSP) are not
eligible for Food Stamps. This policy
is related to the fact that SSI
recipients in California receive one
of the highest State Supplemental
Program (SSP) payments in the
country. While the SSI recipient is
not eligible, their household
members may be and it is important
to use a screening tool to determine
if a household with an SSI recipient
may have household members that
are potentially eligible.
Please Note: SSI is different than
Social Security or Social Security
Disability and recipients of those
programs are not categorically
excluded from the Food Stamp
Program. Click here to learn more
about how these programs are
different and about other safety-net
programs that serve low-income
populations in California.

I found this on the SSI site and that may have something to do with it (the please note part ) Maybe she and my sister's neighbor have a type that is eligible. Beats me :confused: