View Full Version : Private prisons vs public prisons - What is the difference?

ImissPhuPhu
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
my boyfriend just got sent out to cheyenne mountain reEnty center and it's listed under private prison.. Is there a difference between public and private? I am soooo lost..

24jf
10-01-2009, 08:01 AM
There is a difference and I know the question has been asked and answered on the Colorado forum. All that I know is the public facilities are OWNED and RUN by the State of Colorado. The Private facilities are run by Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) they have their own rules and way of doing certain things but basically they must adhere to State Regulations.

If you post this in the Colorado forum Cindy will be able to better answer your question or if you look around there you'll find where it's already been answered.

sandybear
10-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Private facilities tend to be much more focused on the bottom line, and as a result inmate care might suffer. As well, private corporations are better shielded from AG investigations/lawsuits than state-run facilities, as there is not the same requirements regarding openness and transparency (as if there were any in the state system either lol)! While they do operate on a relatively short leash from each state's DOC, they have wider abilities to run the facility as they see fit (and profitable) than comparable state facilities.

Katluvr54
10-02-2010, 06:49 PM
CCA isn't the only private prisons. There is also MTC, GEO, Cornell and a couple of others. I work in one and have to follow the rules that TDCJ sets for us. Our units have to have a/c where as TDCJ doesn't.

inlovewithj
10-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Private facilities are not allowed to be overcrowded for any reason. My guy says he likes private facilities better. Private facilities receive fines if they violate any areas of their contract so they are more likely to be very careful about doing things that would violate their contract than state facilitates would for doing the same thing. For instance, if chow is more than a couple hours late, they can receive a fine. If there is an escape, they will receive huge fines, so security tends to be somewhat tighter in private facilities. On the other hand, the staff is more relaxed in private facilities, according to my bf. The pay is usually much higher for staff in state facilities than private so the turnover rate is higher in private facilities. As a result, people are promoted faster in private facilities, which can result in people being promoted before they're ready. Also, I've heard the food is better in private facilities.

HiZ*BaByGiRl
10-20-2010, 03:27 PM
The difference between regular prisons and private are that the regular prisons are owned and ran solely by the Department of Corrections for whatever state you are in. The private facilities are owned and ran by Private Owners that are contracted with the department of corrections but have their own rules on how to run their facilities.