View Full Version : Polunsky Unit Texas Prison on Lockdown along with other Units

Danigran
09-16-2009, 03:08 PM
New prisons lockdown under way
By Mike Ward | Wednesday, September 16, 2009, 02:22 PM

More than 35,000 convicts at 14 of Texas’ toughest prisons have been
placed on lockdown status in a new crackdown on contraband smuggling
— the largest in months, officials just confirmed.

The shakedown involves cell-by-cell searches and is the most
significant such action in Texas’ prison system in almost a year,
since Gov. Rick Perry ordered a lockdown of all 112 state prisons in
October 2008 after a death row inmate used a smuggled cell phone to
call — and later threaten to kill — the state senator who heads a
legislative prisons committee.

“We’re doing cell searches, and the units will remain locked down
until we complete that,” said Michelle Lyons, spokeswoman for the
Texas Department of Criminal Justice that operates the state
corrections system.

“The units we have locked down are the ones that have the most
contraband seizures … from inmates and on visitors. The goal is to
keep contraband out.”

Prison officials identified the prisons as the Polunsky Unit that
houses death row outside Livingston, the Ferguson Unit in Midway, the
Lewis Unit in Woodville, the Michael, Beto and Coffield units near
Tennessee Colony, the Central Unit in Sugar Land, the Clemons Unit
near Brazoria, the Scott Unit in Angleton, the Darrington Unit in
Rosharon, the Stiles Unit in Beaumont, the McConnell Unit in
Beeville, the Connally Unit in Kenedy and the Allred Unit outside
Wichita Falls.

All are maximum-security prisons, Lyons said.

Today’s crackdown came after Senate Criminal Justice Committee
Chairman John Whitmire, D-Houston, blasted prison security earlier
this month after discovering a threatening letter attributed to death-
row inmate Richard Tabler posted on a Web site, blogginginmates.com (http://blogginginmates.com/).

In November 2008, Tabler threatened to kill Whitmire and this
reporter in a letter mailed to prison investigators. Tabler had
called Whitmire the month before and Whitmire had summoned
authorities, who busted Tabler, his mother and sister for contraband.

The subsequent shakedown of all state prisons resulted in the seizure
of dozens of cell phones and other contraband, including more than
two dozen cell phones and cell gear from death row — arguably
supposed to be the most secure part of the prison system.

In a lockdown, convicts are kept locked in their cells and routine
operations and programs are suspended as special teams of
correctional officers conduct a cell-by-cell search for contraband
and other prohibited items. Such shakedowns can take several days to
complete.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2009/09/16/new_prisons_lockdown_under_way.html (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2009/09/16/new_prisons_lockdown_under_way.html)

mammastalkin
09-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Knew this was coming. Sorry for all the guys--I know they are going to suffer.

Tuffy79
09-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know if this will effect visits?

mammastalkin
09-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I have a friend visiting there today. She was told that was fine that visits were not being interupted. Please double check though--you know how things can change. Good luck and have a lovely visit.

Tuffy79
09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Thank you. I will check. I usually just go the first weekend of the month but my birthday is next Friday so as a birthday present to myself and him (who's b day is a week after mine) I have planned and saved for back to back visits for next weekend and the weekend after. Hope it's lifted by then.

Daisypetal
09-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I find this a laugh! How are they going to receive anything from the outside that the prison calls "Contraband" unless the guards bring it in to them?

What's up with this?

Shinigami
09-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Funny you should bring that up Daisy .. check out this thread ...

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439843

I am so beyond incensed I'm actually trembling and my dog is hiding under the bed to not risk setting me off.

ShoesHappen
09-19-2009, 01:26 PM
And make sure that if you get info on the lock-down status and such to NOT talk to the Warden's secretary.
She told me on Wednesday AND Friday afternoon (when I called about visitation and mail) that even though they are on lock-down that the inmates can use the phones. I questioned her about it twice and she stood firm in that the inmates CAN USE THE PHONES! It didn't sound right to me and I called back late Friday evening and talked to a Lt. who confirmed that this is not true.
Hello! They are not allowed to go into the day room, that's where the phones are!
I have half a mind to call her on it Monday...

Danigran
09-20-2009, 05:55 AM
And make sure that if you get info on the lock-down status and such to NOT talk to the Warden's secretary.
She told me on Wednesday AND Friday afternoon (when I called about visitation and mail) that even though they are on lock-down that the inmates can use the phones. I questioned her about it twice and she stood firm in that the inmates CAN USE THE PHONES! It didn't sound right to me and I called back late Friday evening and talked to a Lt. who confirmed that this is not true.
Hello! They are not allowed to go into the day room, that's where the phones are!
I have half a mind to call her on it Monday...

You should call her Rad!!!! Why would she think the guys could use the phones???

ShoesHappen
09-20-2009, 03:32 PM
You should call her Rad!!!! Why would she think the guys could use the phones???

Well, I'm not really sure what it would accomplish if I would call her, she'll either just deny saying it or blow me off. Not really in the mood to fight the machine about a non-issue. Know what I mean?
More importantly I want to get the word out to call someone like inmate records or such to get valid info.

ShoesHappen
09-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Just got off the phone with INMATE RECORDS and she said that the lock down may be over by the end of this week.
However, it could still be going on and visits could also be canceled. She said "You never know, always call back on Fridays!!!"
Not very reassuring, not what I wanted to hear, but sounded like reliable info!

Halo666
09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Hopefully this weekend,i pray for it.I think it has been long enough now.what are they doing for that long? search cells can't be the only reason...*sigh*

ShoesHappen
09-30-2009, 02:37 PM
what are they doing for that long?
Getting an idea how to search spiritual advisers without aggravating the one above? :dizzy:

Faith & God
09-30-2009, 09:49 PM
i visit last sunday and my husband said they are really going thur everything, even making them sit in metal chairs that look to him like an chair they use for death row.he said its crazy...take care all

Danigran
10-01-2009, 09:22 AM
i visit last sunday and my husband said they are really going thur everything, even making them sit in metal chairs that look to him like an chair they use for death row.he said its crazy...take care all

Fortunately lockdown is OVER at Polunsky as of yesterday! WHOOT!
Maybe, just MAYBE the guys got a hot meal!

mammastalkin
10-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Great news!

ShoesHappen
10-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Yup, lock down was over last night, phones got turned back on this morning. Now we're trying to figure out if phone time is doubled or unlimited or what ...

mochoa0310
10-01-2009, 12:34 PM
My Husband called me today and said that they were off Lock Down :D

Faith & God
10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
thanks that is good to know.i hope things are back to normal and stay that way.But we all know it won't stay that way.at least my baby can go to rec.take care all