View Full Version : Inside Polunsky Prison Unit TX

Eclaboussure
09-14-2009, 05:41 AM
I had this posted on the Capital Punishment and forgot to post it here.

I recommend everyone have a look at the entry dated August 15th 2009 as there are 50 photos from the inside of the Polunsky Unit with a DR inmates description of each one.

http://minutesbeforesix.blogspot.com/

These are a real eye opener on what it is really like.

Shinigami
09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Thank you for posting this. My PP is at Polunsky and while he is very open about his particular, shall we say, accomodations this really brought matters into focus. It's not in any way reassuring but has certainly strengthened my resolve to bring some small respite in the form of a connection to the outside world to someone enduring that.

ShoesHappen
09-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Keep in mind that those pictures only apply to Death Row inmates. General Population and especially Trustees don't even see some of those things he describes.

Shinigami
09-16-2009, 05:17 AM
Your quite right to point out that distinction Rad. Of course my pp being in ad seg I get have this horrible feeling the situation is at best marginally better. I guess part of the vehemence of my reaction is shame at the fact that like so many I never really took the time to learn about our correctional system. Out of sight, out of mind. People better trained and qualified the me are attending to things. We as a society are doing our best to help shepherd these individuals to a more productive path. Next thing you know I'll be standing in front of a Salvation Army santa asking if there are still orphanages and workhouses.

mammastalkin
09-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Those in ag seg are in this same environment. I don't think that is the point though. No one should live in such conditions.

Shinigami
09-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Exactly my feelings as well mammastalkin. Yes they did wrong, and yeah i know justice is anything but just and I don't want to get into the wrongful incarceration thing now. Bottom line is nobody deserves this environment. Not so long as we say this about serving a debt to society and trying our best to rehabilitate people. There is nothing about a tiny white box as your entire world that fosters such goals. Hence my reference to Dickens character Scrooge. Hell my 5 pound dog has about 1000 climate controled square feet to roam when I leave him home alone and still feel bad leaving him and we are wedging people into those sardine cans in the name of justice. Lets just call that aspect of the system what it is ... petty vengeance and an inability to find the person beyond the situation.

Grrrr ... nothing has ever made me feel inarticulate until now but this does. Maybe that's because everyones response is unique. This much I will say, even the person I know in my heart contributed to ending my dearest friends life at the early age of 31 does not deserve these conditions. Not if we wish to stand on that elusive moral highground and claim to be working at shepherding people back into a socially acceptable mindset.

mammastalkin
09-16-2009, 07:01 AM
It is a terrible place to be for sure. I think that the pictures speak volumns.

Shinigami
09-16-2009, 07:36 AM
For me I think the worst part is an inability to see change coming. It's reassuring to hear someone else feeling as I do about this. That in turn helps fueling my resolve to try to make one largely insignicant difference. One less person sitting alone in that glaring white emptiness may be but a drop in the ocean but it's the opportunity life placed in front of me. So I thank you for speaking up on this with thoughts that are your own rather than those conditioned into us.

mammastalkin
09-16-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't think there is change coming anytime soon in TX. They don't think they're doing anything wrong. We have to do what we can--contact the ombudsman, sign the petitions, support our friends. We can let a little light in for the men that live there. Knowing they are not forgotten helps.

Shinigami
09-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Sad but true. Doubly so because that statement extends way past the borders of TX.