View Full Version : My man has Hep C and Hep B and I'm confused.

tenisha_x0
08-30-2009, 08:07 PM
My man has had Hep C and Hep B. He told me he had Hep C from sharing a needle with a friend, and believes he got Hep B from a girl he was with before. He said she got tested and the results showed she had Hep B but when he asked she told him that she would always test positive because she had gotten the vaccine in high school. Is that true? Would she really test positive just because she got a vaccine? That just doesn't sound right to me. :confused: Soon after all of this happened he went to prison and was treated but his case wasn't too serious so it cleared up in four months. He has been fine ever since (not having any symptoms or anything) and that was almost six years ago since he has been treated. But he just went back recently in July and they tested him and he tested positive for one and negative for a other (I forget which was which) and the doctor there told him that he was always test positive for it. Why? I'm just confused. Any other information will also be helpful. Thanks!

mrs.fields09
08-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Hepatitis B surface antigen is present in the blood of people who are infected with hepatitis B virus. Most adults will clear the virus from the body usually after several months to a year. If the hepatitis B virus is not cleared from the body (i.e. in carriers), the surface antigen remains positive for life.There is NO vaccination for hepititis C

That came from a search on google..So that means that NO it isn't gone and that can't b possible..The other girl needs to b treated as well, and you should too if u have slept with him unprotecetd !

Angisette
08-31-2009, 03:36 AM
i was looking into going to school for nursing and i would have to have all my shots updated and they said that a vaccine can show a false positive and if that happens blood work would have to be doe (they do skin test)

in my opinion i would still get a test. better to be safe then sorry

only1love
08-31-2009, 04:03 AM
Hepatitis B vaccine will show a positive result for ANTI- Hepatitis B. If that level is high enough, it will show that the person is adequately protected and does not require a booster. If the level is positive, but not high enough for protection, a booster will be ordered. And if that test is completely negative, and if the person is at risk for exposure, the vaccination series will be recommended.

There is a different test entirely from the surface antigen test that is done to detect active Hepatitis B. The surface antigen will show + for Hep B, but not necessarily show if the disease is active or not.

So, the answer to your question is NO, the vaccine will not give a positive result for the Hepatitis B disease, but will show ANTI-Hep B levels.

To your other question, NO, Hepatitis does not "disappear" from the blood work. It will always appear. The more important question is whether or not the disease is active.

It is important to know that this is a very complicated disease and as such has very sophisticated lab work associated with it. It is difficult for even doctors to understand if they do not deal with these diseases every day.

I say that to say that she may or may not be giving correct information, and it might not be her fault!

So, if your man has Hepatitis B, get tested and find out if you have it. If you do NOT have it, get the full vaccine, and be sure to always use protection with all sexual exposures.

Hepatitis C is similar in the sense that it will always show up in the blood test ( Hepatitis Profile or surface antigen). There is no vaccine for Hepatitis C.
Tests are done to see if the disease is active or not. Hepatitis C is NOT sexually transmitted.

Viral titers are done as well as genotyping to determine how active the disease is and this test is repeated periodically to determine effectiveness of the treatment. Some genotypes can clear the blood with treatment, some go into remission, and some do not respond to treatment.

Symptoms or lack of symptoms is not a predictor of how the blood work will be. Many people have extremely high titers showing active disease which is getting worse and yet they have no symptoms! This is very common and therefore symptoms are not used as a guage to determine seriousness or response to treatment.

It is possible that if he was treated, the virus did clear, but the only way to know that is for viral titers to be done. Everything else is a guess.

There is alot of very good information here on PTO regarding Hepatitis especially since it is so popular in the prison population. I hope that this information has been helpful for you.

tenisha_x0
08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
I am planning on getting tested soon. So because he was treated for Hep B and it was cleared from his body he won't test positive for it anymore? But can I still get it because he's had it in the past? And he got from the girl over 6 years ago and since he has been treated he's been fine and even got his liver checked when they stick the needle in your side (I forget what that's called) and his liver is fine.

only1love
08-31-2009, 03:16 PM
I am planning on getting tested soon. So because he was treated for Hep B and it was cleared from his body he won't test positive for it anymore?
NO Please re-read my previous post! Hepatitis does not "disappear" from the blood.

But can I still get it because he's had it in the past? Hepatitis B is sexually transmitted

And he got from the girl over 6 years ago and since he has been treated he's been fine and even got his liver checked when they stick the needle in your side (I forget what that's called) That is called a liver biopsy
and his liver is fine. Define Fine: For example does that mean not cirrhotic, not , necrotic etc. ?

Hepatitis is either present or not, active or not, acute or chronic, in remission or cleared.

Your best bet is to get tested and take it from there. If not exposed, get vaccinated for A and B, and if positive for active disease, complete the testing for viral load, staging, grading and genotyping and then seek treatment with a hepatologist!

mercy&frank
09-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Hi tenisha. i'm a phlebotomist n i kind of know a little about
what your trying to find out...(a phlebotomist is a person that draws blood for a living) well when people get tested for that spacific test it dose come out positive but it dosent mean that the person has it it means that the person is amun to it the reason why is when we are little and our perents take us to get our vaccines we get one for that spacific one so when in the future your expose to it your body is amun to it so your body will fight it. besides if your man has it then you can probably have it.....i think that before anything you should have them explain the lab results to you and have them explain what dose the vaccination is for maybe youll understand better and its not the way your thinking, or you can also look it up on line.
i hope i was able to help you.

My man has had Hep C and Hep B. He told me he had Hep C from sharing a needle with a friend, and believes he got Hep B from a girl he was with before. He said she got tested and the results showed she had Hep B but when he asked she told him that she would always test positive because she had gotten the vaccine in high school. Is that true? Would she really test positive just because she got a vaccine? That just doesn't sound right to me. :confused: Soon after all of this happened he went to prison and was treated but his case wasn't too serious so it cleared up in four months. He has been fine ever since (not having any symptoms or anything) and that was almost six years ago since he has been treated. But he just went back recently in July and they tested him and he tested positive for one and negative for a other (I forget which was which) and the doctor there told him that he was always test positive for it. Why? I'm just confused. Any other information will also be helpful. Thanks!