View Full Version : Question about G.E.D. in Fed Prison

luvinchuny
08-25-2009, 10:24 AM
My husbands attorney said that when you are in Federal Prison, you get time off for getting your GED...is this true?? My husband says he hasn't heard about his in there...so any info that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!! If they do give you time off, how much time is it?

We are going to sentencing tomorrow afternoon and I am so nervous!! I can't sleep, eat or concentrate on anything!! I have faith in God but am still nervous nonetheless!!

::FINGERS CROSSED:: it's all up to God now!!!!

Katcor5
08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
You do get sometime off, if you complete your GED. I am not sure how much. I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Khislady
08-25-2009, 11:29 AM
i dont think thats true, but in federal prison, it's madatory that they get their GED before they leave the prison. I think the only thing you get time off for is the RDAP program. best of luck tomorrow.

sassylatina
08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Don't have the answer to your question. But just wanted to offer moral support. Will surely keep you in my prayers and pray for God to work thru the Judge and show leniency and mercy for your loved one. God Bless.

My husbands attorney said that when you are in Federal Prison, you get time off for getting your GED...is this true?? My husband says he hasn't heard about his in there...so any info that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!! If they do give you time off, how much time is it?

We are going to sentencing tomorrow afternoon and I am so nervous!! I can't sleep, eat or concentrate on anything!! I have faith in God but am still nervous nonetheless!!

::FINGERS CROSSED:: it's all up to God now!!!!

Khislady
08-25-2009, 11:31 AM
well i may be wrong. My dad is serving time at sheridan FPC and is working on getting his GED test done, he had a team meeting just the other day, and no word on any time off for that, I guess I'll do some more research though.

PTO-97580
08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
There is no time off for completing your GED

Zelda50
08-25-2009, 02:20 PM
If you don't complete the GED program, you lose good-time. However, it says "incentive awards are available" but don't know what those are anymore. It used to be that they paid inmates $25 for earning their GED but that's been discontinued.

Here's the passage from the 2008 BOP Legal Guide:

Title 18 U.S.C. § 3624(f) mandates an education program for those federal prisoners who are not
functionally literate. Non-English speaking inmates are required to participate in an English as a
Second Language program until able to function in the English language at the eighth grade level,
pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 3624(f)(4). With few exceptions, inmates lacking either a high school
diploma, or a General Educational Development credential (GED), are required to enroll in an adult
literacy program for a minimum of 240 hours. See 28 C.F.R. § 544.70. Should an inmate
prematurely end his or her participation prior to program completion, the inmate will lose some
Good Conduct Time potential if governed by that statutory provision. Upon completion of the 240
hour course, an inmate may choose to end participation in adult literacy classes. However, to
encourage the inmate to participate in such programs until earning the GED, incentive awards are
available. Pursuant to 28 C.F.R. §§ 544.72 and 544.74, work pay is limited for inmates who choose
to discontinue program participation without obtaining a GED.

Zelda50
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Aha! Found the good time credits - they appear to be only for DC offenders who are in federal prison and applies to GED and other educational programs.

Here's the rule:
[How much DCEGT can I earn?
a. You can earn 5 days DCEGT for each month you were enrolled
in a designated program, up to the maximum amount designated by
the Bureau for the type of program successfully completed.
b. You are limited to 5 days per month DCEGT, even if enrolled
in more than one designated program.
c. Enrollment in a designated program for any portion of a
calender month earns one full month’s worth of DCEGT.

luvinchuny
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Aha! Found the good time credits - they appear to be only for DC offenders who are in federal prison and applies to GED and other educational programs.

Here's the rule:
[How much DCEGT can I earn?
a. You can earn 5 days DCEGT for each month you were enrolled
in a designated program, up to the maximum amount designated by
the Bureau for the type of program successfully completed.
b. You are limited to 5 days per month DCEGT, even if enrolled
in more than one designated program.
c. Enrollment in a designated program for any portion of a
calender month earns one full month’s worth of DCEGT.

So it's 5 days a month off then?? Is this while you are getting your GED....what if after the 240 hours you don't get it and decide you no longer want to continue with the classes?? Do they still take away gain time or do they just let you work?? CAN you work if you have no GED??

Sorry I have so many questions but he is driving me crazy and I just don't have answers for him!! Thanks for all your help!!!!

abigail05
08-25-2009, 03:39 PM
but getting your ged will lower your designation points.

Zelda50
08-25-2009, 07:29 PM
luvinchuny - heck if I know the answers to your questions. Is your guy a DC inmate??? If so, he should check with his counselor.

MelissaTx
08-25-2009, 07:44 PM
If you don't complete the GED program, you lose good-time. However, it says "incentive awards are available" but don't know what those are anymore. It used to be that they paid inmates $25 for earning their GED but that's been discontinued.

Here's the passage from the 2008 BOP Legal Guide:

Title 18 U.S.C. § 3624(f) mandates an education program for those federal prisoners who are not
functionally literate. Non-English speaking inmates are required to participate in an English as a
Second Language program until able to function in the English language at the eighth grade level,
pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 3624(f)(4). With few exceptions, inmates lacking either a high school
diploma, or a General Educational Development credential (GED), are required to enroll in an adult
literacy program for a minimum of 240 hours. See 28 C.F.R. § 544.70. Should an inmate
prematurely end his or her participation prior to program completion, the inmate will lose some
Good Conduct Time potential if governed by that statutory provision. Upon completion of the 240
hour course, an inmate may choose to end participation in adult literacy classes. However, to
encourage the inmate to participate in such programs until earning the GED, incentive awards are
available. Pursuant to 28 C.F.R. §§ 544.72 and 544.74, work pay is limited for inmates who choose
to discontinue program participation without obtaining a GED.

I also have heard inmates can get 6months off for obtaining a GED. I choked it up to another prison rumor.
But I have a question/statement. In DHs PSR it says "DH says he grad. H.S. But no records were found." DH went to school under a different last name. The PO did not look under this last name. He only has 8 months left, BOP has not asked for a copy of his HS diploma nor have they told him to take a GED class. Should I mail him a copy, just incase they want it at the last minute?

PTO-97580
08-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Just remember that what Z is referring to is for DC inmates only.

I also have heard inmates can get 6months off for obtaining a GED. I choked it up to another prison rumor.
But I have a question/statement. In DHs PSR it says "DH says he grad. H.S. But no records were found." DH went to school under a different last name. The PO did not look under this last name. He only has 8 months left, BOP has not asked for a copy of his HS diploma nor have they told him to take a GED class. Should I mail him a copy, just incase they want it at the last minute?

NaNa7
08-25-2009, 11:59 PM
I have always disliked the fact that only DC inmates get credit. If my son lived in DC, I most likley would feel differently:D

They don't have a prison , so they go to Fed. prisons.( regardless of the crime) One use to be in Lorton, Va. They closed it down. It was a horrible place.

They need to extend these priviledges to all prisoners.( imo) It would cut down on over crowding. Taking classes will help those seeking lower sentences under the new crack cocaine law. It shows the inmate was using his time wisely.

Zelda50
08-26-2009, 01:36 AM
That's what the proposed good time bill is about. The one stuck in the subcommittee.

luvinchuny
08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
He is in FDC in Florida.

We went to sentencing yesterday and the judge was pretty great!! :) She gave him 121 months on what we thought was going to be 15 years.....

I still want him to get his GED whether they give him time off or not....in his PSR it states he has his GED but I don't have a copy of it...will they require a copy or just accept that it's on the PSR?? Do the actually need to SEE it??? What can I do if I don't have a copy of it??????

tampastockman
09-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I was a tutor while FCI FtDix. You do not get any time off for getting a GED, but if you dont have it and refuse to take GED classes you will LOSE good time. I forget exactly how much, but instead of the 54 days a year, i believe its something like 42 days per year good time for failure to attend GED classes.

abigail05
09-04-2009, 11:40 PM
i said it would lower your designation points. i just emailed penn foster yesterday, its a home school to get your diploma. here was there response:

"Penn Foster does enroll students who are incarcerated. Many of our programs contain materials and/or equipment that may not meet certain regulations of the institution in question. If you are incarcerated, Penn Foster requires signed documentation from the institution granting permission to enroll. As long as a computer is not required to successfully complete the program he can enroll.
To receive a career information package on the program you're husbands interested in, please send me your husbands full name, age, highest level of education and complete address by e-mail. I'll personally make sure the information is sent to him right away. I encourage you to call the school at US: 1-800-275-4410…If outside the US, call us at 570-961-4060 between the hours of 8 AM-12 AM (EST) and speak to an enrollment advisor for assistance. "