View Full Version : Overweight Children???

Amy
01-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Do any of you have a young child who is overweight?

My daughter is only 6 and extremely overweight. At 120 lbs. she is bigger than some adults.

I worry about her for many reasons such as health problems, teasing at school, and her overall self esteem. I just have no clue what to do about it.

While living in our own place, I realized that she will sneak and eat a lot. I decided to counter that by not bringing anything into the house that could be easily accessed by her. I didn't buy chips, cookies, snack cakes or anything that didn't have to be cooked.

She has gained most of this weight since we have moved in with my parents. I have tried talking to them but the junk food is always here. She is continuously sneaking into these foods.

I feel like my only resort is to try to convience her that she doesn't need to eat as much as she does. The thing is I don't want to say something that could hurt her or cause more harm than good.

Any of you that may be going through this or have gone through this, I would really appreciate your input.

MsAloha1018
01-19-2004, 08:42 PM
I too have a daughter that's overweight. On top of that, I have a son who is so skinny, so here I am trying to fatten the skinny one up yet trying to help my daughter lose weight. Which is hard because my skinny one is so picky about what to eat and the other one will eat just about anything I put in front of her.

It is said that exercise and monitoring food intake together assists in healthy weight loss. Find an activity that your daughter would enjoy, perhaps. Or what I do is have my daughter walk every day to run errands for me. That seems to help. And I keep healthy snacks around for both children. Also, please consult with your child's pediatrician before you start any kind of program.

Good luck. This is still a continuing process for me and my daughter too.

AmyLynn
01-19-2004, 08:55 PM
I have three girls and only one is overwieght.She is 13 and is about 170 and she stands about 5'8. I try not to say to much to her but sometimes it drives me nuts.She will be starting high school next year and I'm worried that it will be hard on her,but then again Maybe it will help her. I also try not to have to much junk around but it is hard not to. She is just lazy and it is hard to say things cause I don't want her to be upset with me.
I was overwieght also as a kid and I go up and down still.I still remember the time my dad gave me a dollar for every pound I would lose. I don't want to be that way.I'm praying that she changes as she grows up. But I know that alot of kids eat for different reasons some to replace something she lost or just because she is bored.
Maybe take her to the doctors and see what they say. You need to watch out for diabetes alot of kids that are overwieght end up with it at a young age.
Just don't call her names or things like that. Just make sure she stays active and that will help.
Just hang in there.
Amy

justjane
01-19-2004, 09:05 PM
I would definitely talk to her doctor. It sounds like its more than just lack of exercise and good eating habits. If she's sneaking food and eating when she isn't hungry there may be something else going on. Getting her involved in a physical activity may help but trying to identify what the underlying issues behind her eating is what will help the most. And for God's sake whatever you do - please do not allow the doctor to put her on any kind of strict diet!!! All dieting will do is push the eating behaviors further underground and shroud them in secrecy. I was an emotional stuffer by the time I was 8 and placed on my first diet at 10. By the time I was 14, I was a full-fledged bulimic. I battle bulimia every day of my life and even though I have the eating behaviors under control, the emotional issues that were never addressed have been the demons I've had to fight for the last 10 years as I try to stay healthy and strong without the use of food. Good luck to you and your daughter. I hope you can nip this problem in the bud now before it goes any further.

Amy
01-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Thank you for all of the replies. I have taken her to a doctor. The diet he put her on was not strict. It just limited her portion sizes. I even did it with her. I got full so I know she did. However, the sneaking continues.

I try my best not to say anything negative to her. I was the fat kid that even my father made fun of. I don't want her to go through that, but it becomes harder to protect her from the negative comments with every pound she gains. My father (who we live with) has no tact about him at all and we all know how mean school kids can be.

Anyway, thanks again. Knowing I am not the only one dealing with this helps alot.

lovinbilly4ever
01-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Ok, was iffy about posting this on here. But, why the hell not? Not like I never post MY stuff anyways. :haha: :D

Ok, on my moms side of the family, they are short & skinny, on the other hand, on my dads side of the family, they are TALL, big boned, and the MEN are usually overweight. (VERY OVERWEIGHT--ill get to that later).

But, since most of my physical characteristics come from my dads side of the family, I too have had a problem w/my weight. I have been the height of 5'9 since I was 12. And, while I was growing up, my height pretty much was able to even out the "baby fat". Well, I am not obese, although, I could lose a few lbs.

Last year, I decided to get a dietician/nutritionist lady through my gym--and what she worked on was my eating habits & patterns. I do the usual--When I am bored, I eat, when I am "partying" I eat, when I am stressed, I eat, when I am sad, I eat. ETC ETC ETC. She said that when one is trying to change their eating patterns it takes a good 6 weeks for it to settle in w/the brain--meaning, if you get your daughter eating more healthier foods (greens, vegis stuff like that), it will take a good 6 weeks before...how do I put this. Ok, lets try again. lol sorry :D It will take 6 weeks before it becomes a habit to eat GOOD food instead of crap food. Make sense now? Cindy (my lady) told me that I needed to eat more greens, vegies, cut out the sugar, candy (which I cant eat too much candy cause I have super sensitive teeth).

Also, if you are able to afford it, go to 24 Hour Nautlis or a well known gym like that, and see if you can get your child into their "childrens fitness" dealie they should have.
Also, what my problem is, is I get all motivated to work out--so I'll work out for like 6 months straight, drop 30 lbs, then I will get tired of going, and won't go for 3 months, which is what I just did. Although, I am going to go back around the 1st.

I think that you should take her to the doc. But, you also really do need to watch her food intake & try to get her out running around or exercising, like swimming in the summer, soccor, tball, football. Stuff like that.

I was never teased about my "weight" just because you couldnt really tell.
Good luck, & one moer thing. My grandpa, always (& still does) make little comments to me about "my weight problem" like...."Melissa, your so pretty, BUT, you could be prettier IF...." or "Melissa, that really is not healthy..you need to do THIS...." stuff like that is SO uncool..And, it really does hurt when he does stuff like that. It is not only children that are mean--adults can be equally as mean w/their comments.

Good luck
Mel

lovinbilly4ever
01-20-2004, 12:12 AM
oh sorry, forgot one thing.
My cousin..chris or greg--i dunno, his name is 1 of the 2..lol, HE is extremely overweight. i saw him when i was back in TN for my dads funeral (4 yrs ago), and he was like 6 ft tall & weighed in at a hefty 450+ lbs. it was very sad. although, last i heard he got a gastric bypass. so, there are options for older people, but i still stick w/the above in regards to your daughter. :)

katmat1995
01-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Ok I have a 12 year old step-daughter that wears the same size as me.....And I am by no means little any longer.......She does all her eating after my husband and I have gone to bed. I have a 13 year old son. That eat 24 hour a day.......Well at night they both pig. But my son is very active and Shelby is not......So, I have tried talking to my husband. Into talking to her mom. The sad thing is that her mother dressed Shelby in Bikini's and in halter tops. And hipster pants and her fat just hangs over. I know the kids at school make fun of her.....Kids can be so cruel.....I don't know what to do either,.Her mom and I aren't on the best of term and I know her mother has eyes. But it is hard for a mom to not let the child eat when and what they want.....So, they put blinders on......The same way I do when my 17 year old daughter comes in stoned.....I know it and I have talked to her about it......But, you just don't know what to do.......I need help to......

Binky's Gal
01-20-2004, 01:12 AM
I am in the same boat,my daughter just turned 8 (on Jan. 15th) and weights 110 lbs. Now by no means was she gonna be a small girl, her father and I are both big boned. But when I weigh about 150 and she comes running to me to give me a hig, she about bowls me over. I attribute alot of her problem to her father taking her to fastfood constantly (he isnt home alot, therefore dont cook) and that dont help. When she comes here, I cook and she has to ask if she wants something. I have repeatedly told her that kids will tease her, but all i get is the same response "so". Well I feel bad because she can eat more than me, and because her dad allows it, its gonna be impossible to control. Whats even worse is buying her clothes, she is wearing womens size 7's to get it around her then I have to cut the bottoms off and sew them up so they fit right. What a pain this this, not only that it is way more expensive.
I try my best to feed her the way she is sapose to be fed, but in my case my x is making matters worse, so I guess all I can do is wait for the teasing to start (which it will) and maybe she will realize that it isnt so much fun and finally realize Mom is right about the whole thing. Its very sad to say.
I dont know what to tell ya Amy, as I have the same problem. I always just hope she spurts up and then it will all just even out.

katmat1995
01-20-2004, 06:33 AM
That was the same way my step daughter was at 8 but now she is 12 and wears a size 14 to 16 in ladies.....she is a sweet girl, but i know people make fun of her. She get stared at strange in stores....and makes up stories when she is here about the boys that like her...and you can tell it is a lie. I am so afraid when she is a little older she will turn to drugs and such for comfort..I too am over weight and this breaks my heart to see this........

lovinbilly4ever
01-20-2004, 06:34 AM
also, i guess kids now'a days are at home playing on the computer, or xbox or ps2, or whatever it maybe. the area i live in--theres a buttload of kids. ALOT Of kids for that matter. the ONLY times i see them outside playing is when it is SO SO SO hot outside...other then that--they are always inside. so i guess that can contribute to the extra weight (and lack of exercise). also, i have a problem w/a VERY VERY SLOW metabolism---maybe thats whats up w/the extra weight?

Amy
01-20-2004, 11:03 PM
also, i guess kids now'a days are at home playing on the computer, or xbox or ps2, or whatever it maybe. the area i live in--theres a buttload of kids. ALOT Of kids for that matter. the ONLY times i see them outside playing is when it is SO SO SO hot outside...other then that--they are always inside. so i guess that can contribute to the extra weight (and lack of exercise). also, i have a problem w/a VERY VERY SLOW metabolism---maybe thats whats up w/the extra weight?
Ace is definately a couch potato. You could not pay her to go outside. That is a more recent thing though. She used to play outside a lot.

lovinbilly4ever
01-20-2004, 11:22 PM
well, does she play outside alot during the summertime?
I know i am highly unmotivated. HIGHLY lol :D so like, i actually have to WANT to work out---thats the only way i will get to the gym. it comes & goes. although, have you thought about like going on a 30 minute mom & daughter walk everynight during the summertime? i know i hate to go outside when its cold.

anyways, with all the crap food out there, wendys, jacks crack, mcds, BK, in & out etc etc etc--alot of people eat real bad foods. MORE GREENS! :D

Amy
01-21-2004, 12:45 AM
She used to play out when it was warm but now you almost have to force her out. I am tempted to disconnect the cable in her bedroom.

1nonlyTeRe
01-21-2004, 01:10 AM
I was an overweight child and when mom noticed it getting worse, she got me into sports.. I was still heavy but healthy and toned.. I think it's great to have kids active and in sports.. also talk to her doctor and see what he says.. stay positive and try to keep her positive as well..my mom was always positiv with me, but others weren't.. I learned to listen to my moma nd not care what others thought.. if she knows she has her mom's love and support it will be easier on her.. good luck!!

flygirlaa2
01-21-2004, 07:14 AM
If I were you, I would read up on insulin resistance. There are special diets for it where she will be able to eat all she wants of the proper foods. Insulin resistance is something we are seeing a lot in kids younger and younger. It is also a precursor to diabetes. The United States is also seeing adult onset diabetes in children now. The sluggishness you are seeing in these kids may not be laziness, but problems with regulating their blood sugar.

~cheenna~
01-21-2004, 05:17 PM
WOW... can I relate to this thread... not for my daughter, although she did have a weight problem too but, with my granddaughter ... she is 16, about 5'8" or 9"and weighs well over 200# ... and it breaks my heart! I have talked to my daughter about this for years to no avail and I really feel that she "raised" her to be over weight ... as a baby she would stuff food in her mouth to shut her up and it naturally became a pattern ... I have begged her to let me take her to the Dr.{she also has not entered puberty yet} but I always get the same response "she is HER daughter and she will tend to it" ... sadly, she never does ... my daughter was recently sent to prison for 9 months and my first thoughts were "oh thank GOD ... now I can see to it that she gets some much needed help" ... the only problem there is that she lives with her grandfather who is in his 70s, a drunk and getting more ignorant with each passing day {my daughter would die and go to Hades before allowing me keep her children} and he is convinced that there is nothing wrong and that she will just grow out of it ... paaaleeeze!!!
As Fly touched on, it is reported how many of these kids today are becoming morbidly obese and will become insulin dependant... not to mention the heart disease they are developing ... in my granddaughter's case she is also extremely depressed, not just due to the weight but because of what her mother has put her and her siblings through, which also contributes to the problem!
With all that extra weight it is very difficult for her to get up and move around, hard on her knees and feet ... so you just can't say they just need to get outside into sports or whatever as their developing bodies can't handle it ... don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting they just stay sedentary but it just isn't that simple ... I have taken her to shops like Lane Bryant to get her nice clothing to help build her self esteem and let her see for herself how nice she can look ... I don't have a weight issue per se' but due to health reasons must keep my weight below "normal" so watch what I eat and exercise daily and have by example tried to get her involved but to no avail ... I never say things negative things about her weight other than voicing my concerns for her health ... she skips breakfast and lunch thinking she is going to lose that way[I have explained to her that she needs something in the morning to get her metabolism going but that falls on deaf ears] and as soon as she comes in from school she goes straight to the fridge and doesn't stop till bed time which is always very late ... I have begged her grandfather to have dinner ready when she gets home at 4 but he just says stupid s#$^ like she doesn't eat dinner ... well, no she doesn't eat dinner because she eats from the time she comes in the door ... so he just fixes what he wants to eat if he hasn't passed out first and he won't shop for good food to be in the house, instead, lets her and her 14 year old, going on 20, sister [who is skinny as a rail and thinks she is Brittney Spears, which doesn't help any] buy what they want in groceries while he sits in the pick-up and drinks beer ... her health is so compromised that I fear I will lose her before she is 20 and just don't know what to do about it! *sigh*