View Full Version : Probation Camps

hazy
08-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone could share some information about juvenile probation camps (specifically LA County), I have a 16 year old who might be headed to one.

Do they get sentenced to specific terms - like '3 months' or do they get '3-6 months' etc? And is the sentence they get actually the one they serve or is it more a guide to be based on their behavior and things? I've read that kids are generally sentenced to 3, 6, 9 months but I've also read that the average stay is 5 months?

And does anyone know anything about life inside these places? 'Probation camp' makes them sound like they have a little more freedom but are they essentially just the same as a county jail? Are they usually in dorms or cells? Better than Juvenile Hall? (because that's difficult :rolleyes:)

Thanks!

pj663
08-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi Hazy and welcome to PTO:) I'm not for certain about your questions my husband is in state prison however I will research and assist you as much as i can:) Ladies if you have any info please share!!! Here is where you can possibly start:

http://ca.lwv.org/jj/

Also you will find general information on this forum:) I hope this helps

rosemarierios
08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
LA County, in California Juvenile Camps, are no harsh at all, the most time a juvenile will do is 9 months, that is if the minor dosen't mess up and follows his or her program. It is a dorm setting, with about 80 minors per camp.

hazy
08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, and link (and the welcome!).

Rosemarierios - Have you had experiences with specific camps? What sort of programs do they do? If they spend time there and then violate probation does that mean they can spend up to another 9 months there?
Do you have kids who have been to the camps - and were they effective? I just hope that if he does go there then it will be a wake-up call and get him to change his behavior. It will hurt to see it happen but he needs to learn.
Thanks!

PC245a1
09-05-2009, 10:01 AM
i've heard of kids going to camp for 18 months. but LA County camps are not bad at all. a lot better than the halls. if he violates, he'll be brought back to the halls to go to court. the judge will then decide on how much more time he'll get.